What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Started building up my turbo trainer bike.

08BBFB20-89D0-4ED0-B48D-8928675D1373.jpeg

0AE431EB-D1F0-470D-A99D-C74CD418DDA6.jpeg

2B2EE7F8-F335-41C7-B493-5A27FF564F9D.jpeg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Setting national hillclimb bikes up today:

- Son's PlanetX is the easiest; a wheel swap with his spare race front and a Bontrager / HED rear which now has a junior cassette on - that'll become his training wheel in the Spring.
- I'm using my son's Cervelo S3, if well enough to take part. That needed his old Mavic Ksyrium Exalith wheels putting on, together with Exalith pads and the chainring changing from a 42 to a 36: we'd left the 42 on from last year's hillclimb as there hasn't been much need for a 36 this year.
- Removed the 'youth' cassettes from his race and spare wheels, so they can be sold. We're a 'junior' cassette short but at least that's a job done.

carvelos

Today I have mostly been....Trying to free a rusted steel quill from steel forks on a knackered '90's steel framed peugeot 'mountain bike' with vinegar, patio smells really weird, I have just destroyed handlebars and forks using brute force and have now cut off quill and removed buggered forks and thrown them in bin. Next job caustic soda on ali seatpost stuck in same frame, at the end of all this I am building a better version of a pashley five speed that I shall call the la Peugeot Vitesse Cinq . It will be worth it. New forks coming and lots of velo orange bits being saved for....

Today I have mostly been....Trying to free a rusted steel quill from steel forks on a knackered '90's steel framed peugeot 'mountain bike' with vinegar, patio smells really weird, I have just destroyed handlebars and forks using brute force and have now cut off quill and removed buggered forks and thrown them in bin. Next job caustic soda on ali seatpost stuck in same frame, at the end of all this I am building a better version of a pashley five speed that I shall call the la Peugeot Vitesse Cinq . It will be worth it. New forks coming and lots of velo orange bits being saved for....
.....no pics? - tiss only a dream :smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son's Cervelo S3 cleaned and put back to 'race' spec - outer chainring added, bottle cage, bar tape back on.

Then we looked at the PlanetX that caused us problems at the national hillclimb. @fossyant 's suggestion a replacement hanger was added on Saturday and there wasn't that much missing off the rear corner. It's mostly small chunks so we've spent the day effecting a repair; it's not pretty but works.

Then to the parts - we discovered that the problem is being caused by the chain coming off the bottom jockey wheel so it was catching and snapping the mech hanger:
  • the chain was twisted so I've replaced the section of KMC X11-SL chain that was damaged rather than fit a new one as it's done under 20 miles.
  • the rear mech cage was also twisted so a replacement Dura-Ace 9000 derailleur was fitted.
  • the mech hanger wasn't great either so he straightened it using a hanger alignment tool and my 16yo's learnt a new skill.
Wheel back in, cables in and with some adjustments he's got a working bike again. The resin repair needs to cure properly but it looks like the frame's OK.

Unfortunately hillclimb season's finished for 2020 so Strava KOM hunting it'll be ;)

Total cost has been minimal; we had the fibre resin anyway, the replacement chain parts were from the original and it's just a spare rear mech we've used and I'll find a replacement cage for the one we took off. If it doesn't work he's learnt some things and we've lost nothing really.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
This evening I started to clean and service stuff ready for my next build. A Reynolds 653 Ribble. (Kindly donated by @Hugh Jampton )

Started with the front and rear mechs, this 1990’s Shimano stuff (105 1055 7 speed) is beautiful quality. It always comes up well.

Before

12439E8F-82A4-4898-BCD5-EAD6CC74E805.jpeg

After

B1FB01FD-CC78-47AE-8493-BA375DAFA668.jpeg

98D0567F-56A0-4601-BD3C-916A11318A98.jpeg

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Have 105 1055 brakes on the Scott. Look good and work well.

I like early 105, it’s heavy but very reliable and well made and I’ve used it before, the plan is to match it with early Sora 2x7 Brifters rather than friction shifters. Again like all my projects I’m missing a load of stuff. So back on eBay, lots of saved searches!

si_c

Guru
Cleaned the Racelight, sort of. Sheep sh1t all over the underside of the downtube, and clogging up the spokes on the rear hub. That'll teach me to ride through a sheep field with full pens after a heavy downpour. Wiped down the chain and cassette and hosed it down fairly thoroughly.

Gotta do it again tomorrow after tonights ride :laugh:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Bought a mini sewing machine earlier in the week and been learning stuff on it. Had to sort the timing on it.
I can now thread it and do a not too messy straight-ish line ^_^
Upcoming projects are to shorten my sleeping bag liner to fit the new bag better. Make a better pole and peg bag for my tent. Make the tent footprint fit better. And sort out my troozers.
Following all that, I'll be launching a new line of bespoke artisan crotch warmers for the discerning gentleman. Orders yours today for the special low price of £9.99 at www.icantsewforshit.com

Top Bottom