What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Switched from 'snow' wheels to 'cross' wheels on my Avanti cross bike for a ride, adjusted the brakes and cleaned it. Given I treat the thing with contempt it keeps going.

Son's BeOne Raw bike is getting the paint touch-up treatment: two years of being used in race training and it's got battle scars. The oyster pearl colour is impossible to match so it's getting something as close as I can do. Red's done and then a bit of the black logo. The wheels have also been cleaned and greased:

DSCF5916.JPG

si_c

Guru
Swapped the rear brake pads on the Trek from the Shimano ones to some Clarks I had sat in a box. The old ones were well down past the wear markers and were starting to disintegrate into a grey paste. The new (been in a box for at least 3 years) clarks ones are quite a bit harder than the stock and don't slow the bike down as quickly but have polished up the rims nicely on my trip out to get some coffee.

philtalksbx

Über Member
Today brought the Record Ace back to full downtube properness. After taking off the strangely unsatisfactory Tiagra group set, I saw some Sunrace indexed 8 speed shifters on a band mount so snapped them up and fitted them today.
1F30F849-1D98-41F9-95FE-191BAB31E080.jpeg

They just fit, just work, and feel right for the bike. A quick loop around a very wet Oxford once the rain had eased proved the point. Very happy.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Today brought the Record Ace back to full downtube properness. After taking off the strangely unsatisfactory Tiagra group set, I saw some Sunrace indexed 8 speed shifters on a band mount so snapped them up and fitted them today.
View attachment 572256
They just fit, just work, and feel right for the bike. A quick loop around a very wet Oxford once the rain had eased proved the point. Very happy.

Simple, reliable and effective

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Whilst spring would be a better time, the rear hub on my Tern is starting to really grate and graunch. So with half term starting and a full on apocalyptic snow storm forecast, I decided today was as good as any to start.

The Shimano single speed coaster brake hub really is a nice little thing, well made and reliable, just needing a clean and re-grease every so often.

cheshirerob

Purchased some Hunts from the LBS before they increased the prices. Also to see what all the hype is about.
Its funny really because when I passed people on my old wheels they murmured Hunt, so now I can agree.
B8192956-1720-465C-9C30-32383F6EB359.jpeg

Cleaned the chain and fitted a front Pitlock, which has been wanting done since September. I can understand the desire to keep a qr, but I had the pitlock, and I feel more secure locking without leaving the front wheel unsecured.
Waiting (im)patiently for the Tacx to allow some miles in the garage, when I return a positive COVID test during the next 2 weeks.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Completely stripped the Hub today and cleaned all the grease out. Everything seems in fine fettle, just might need some new brake shoes the next time I strip it down. . I also bought a new rear cog, for the princely sum of €2.50. Despite there being next to no info available from Shimano about this hub, I worked out that it uses the same cog as Nexus/Alfine hubs, so dead easy to source. I Just need to clean the wheel now and then reassemble it all.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
just put a new front tyre on the commuter to match the back one, wiggle lifeline commuter tyres 700x28 that are a lot wider than the stock kenda ones and hopefully better at protection.
Rode with one the rear the other day and it seemed ok rolling resistance wise and at £12.49 each worth a punt , next time i might go for the armored version

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
just put a new frony tyre on the commuter to match the back one, wiggle lifeline commuter tyres 700x28 that are a lot wider than the stock kenda ones and hopefully better at protection.
Rode with one the rear the other day and it seemed ok rolling resistance wise and at £12.49 each worth a punt , next time i might go for the armored version
I fitted those to one of my bikes at the start of the year. Puncture on the first ride when a small piece of flint managed to get through the thinnest part of the tread, but no problems in the 300+ miles since. Seem to be quite a fast riding tyre and good value.

Completely stripped the Hub today and cleaned all the grease out. Everything seems in fine fettle, just might need some new brake shoes the next time I strip it down. . I also bought a new rear cog, for the princely sum of €2.50. Despite there being next to no info available from Shimano about this hub, I worked out that it uses the same cog as Nexus/Alfine hubs, so dead easy to source. I Just need to clean the wheel now and then reassemble it all.

View attachment 572646
Just a heads-up in case yourself or others are unaware - Shimano and Sturmey Archer sprockets are interchangeable :okay:

Top Bottom