What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Fitted a crankset this morning.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
After unclamping front derailleur cable, realised cable not moving freely even without tension. So cut some fresh cable outer and fitted new outer with new cable. Squirted some oil in bar end shifter whilst everything disconnected. Rewrapped bar tape opposite way to expose clean bit under overlap. See contrast in photos. Ran out of black electrical tape, so temporarily added blue tape. I’m not one to let how it looks stop me enjoying getting out on a ride.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Put this together over the last couple of days, Just a bit of fun,

Big John

Guru
Work as a volunteer at a local bike charity on a Monday. Lost over an hour of my life, and several other people's lives, trying to remove a cup and cone bottom bracket off a very old and mistreated hybrid. Drive side fought bravely but we managed to get that side off. The easier side normally, the non drive side, refused to budge. We tried every trick in the book and finally ended up using a length of scaffold pipe. We hate being defeated, and I'd love to bring the tale to a happy ending, but alas it was Bike 1 So-Called-Mechanics 0 ☹️ Tonight it's soaking in easing oil for another attempt tomorrow by a fresh team of volunteers.

si_c

Guru
New grips and pedals (both Pink) on Mrs C's Trek Roscoe and slackened off the dropper post cable to see if that resolves the downward slide.

Removed BB and cranks from the Racelight and cleaned an old FSA BB to fit, the left side bearing was very dry and felt rough, so a few cycles through the sonic cleaner and some IPA to remove the gunk and I refilled with grease. Much better now and should last. Also re-fitted my old power meter as I want to put the 4iii on the Trek.

CXRAndy

Guru
Refitted anti rotation bracket on wife's ebike. The motor had rotated and was pressing on the frame. I'd removed the bracket to accept full centre stand. I took the brackets down on the bench sander, now both fit. A quick chain adjustment, oil, tyres pumped and battery topped up since September.

Test ride, Id forgotten how quick her bike is^_^

All ready to go now

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
Got my balefill Bianchi frame working, largely with parts already on hand, although cables, a Tange headset and an old fashioned Al seatpost were bought. I also have an old 'Dale mtn bike so the wheels with studded snows I had on it were swapped for the 2 " hybrid tires wheelsI first had on the Bianchi. I had flipped North Roads on 'Dale and a flat bar on the Bianchi and swapped those as well. Also swapped out the lightweight ass hatchet saddle for one of 5 identical Velo Orange leather saddles I use on my favorite bikes. It is heavy with the tires and saddle but goes well on ice and snow up to 4 inches. I've always preferred level top tubes and chromo frames so although the 'Dale has a better, at least lighter frame, the Bianchi will probably be my keeper for a while. When it gets warmer there will be some rattle can painting but for now it is too cold for that.

Attachments

• PXL_20210114_223155920.jpg
    PXL_20210114_223155920.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20210216_181725445.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210216_181725445.MP.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 6

si_c

Guru
I fitted a different crankset to the Racelight the other day - not had a chance to get out on it since, but went out today and realised I'd fitted the inner ring the wrong way round - the chain just dropped between the two and got stuck. Guess what I've just had to do....

Top Bottom