What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Deda Dog Fang fitted to the Ribble - chain came off twice on the turbo last night (cross chained bad lad :whistle:) but not happened on the road. As the paint is all new, thought I'd stop any possibility of paint damage.

JhnBssll

Veteran
We bought our friends daughter a replacement bike just before christmas after some thieving bugger stole hers from their garage :sad: It came back to us this afternoon, left outside the garage with the rear mech in the rear wheel :laugh: It was fabulous to see it's been well used and is already carrying a few battle scars from it's short life but not so great to see the twisted mech and bent gear hanger :rolleyes: I had a quick chat with my friendly lbs whom we purchased the bike from and he's having real trouble getting stock, as seems to be the case in many places currently. With that in mind I set to work stripping it down to inspect the damage... Here it is before I started taking it apart - the mech had already been pulled out of the wheel at this point but it was quite clear there was still something wrong :laugh:

I whipped the mech off and removed the hanger - a quick look showed it was slightly twisted. I know from experience that straightening alloy hangers isn't always a brilliant plan but with no replacements easy to come by I had nothing to lose and tweaked it back square. This was going to be easy 😊 I then took a closer look at the mech and realised perhaps it was going to take longer than anticipated - the poor thing was bent in just about every direction possible :laugh: I guess I took about 40 minutes with an adjustable spanner, a vice and a hammer to coax the various bits of pressed metal back in to some sort of shape, reassembling and test fitting on occasion, until I was relatively happy with it. At that point I bolted it all back on and refitted the chain and was pleasantly surprised to find it works pretty well ^_^

It's still slightly bent, not helped by the amount of play in the main pivot which I suspect is a non-standard feature of this particular mech :laugh: It will likely need replacing in the near future, but I've reset all the limit screws so hopefully it shouldn't embrace the spokes again unless it takes another big knock :laugh:

With it working properly again I gave it a clean, trued the slight buckles out of the wheels, shortened the brake cables to neaten the front end up and fitted purple crimp ends to all the cables 😊

I shall leave it outside the garage again in the morning for it to be collected on her way past :laugh: Hopefully we'll be able to meet people face to face again soon, this is all very strange 😄

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Cleaned the Bianchi after a filthy long ride yesterday. Found a little creak that had been bugging me and which I'd thought was the BB. It was actually the derailleur hanger creaking a teeny weeny amount in the dropout. Who'd have guessed?

Next up is the gravel bike. Need to tighten the shifters and rewrap the bars. They're a mess. And clean it too.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Glued plastic outers back on the bar end shifters. Now nice and solidly fixed in place.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A few small things on the only bikes I seem to be using at the moment thanks to the weather...

Put the M324 pedals back onto the Spa instead of some Exustar items which I never really got on with. Cleaned & lubed the chain.
Cleaned & lubed the chain on the Giant
Changed the tyres on the 29er to some WTB Slick Comps as It's very little used off road, then cleaned & lubed the chain.

Drzdave58

Über Member
Is it a hobby or a job?
Oh...I’m retired...it’s just a hobby..actually my brother passed away a year ago and left some leather crafting tools and leather..so I thought I would give it a go. Its a good way to fill some time. My leather is running out tho so I’m not sure if I will continue with it or not.

Top Bottom