What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
My daughter came down to ask for more ink in the printer as she was about to print for college. Both blacks were low (one is photo black).

Replaced them and bing bong printer system error. Nothing would fix it so out comes all 5 cartridges and the print head removed and taken into the garage and blasted clean with electrical contact cleaner. If this doesn't work (it will be dry by tomorrow) then its new printer time. Had it 10 years.

Snap.

I've just resurrected a 15-year-old HP Photosmart, which gives good results for an elderly budget printer, but is a more than a tad temperamental. I'm discovering the joys of refilling integrated printhead/cartridges.

Anyone looking at the syringes littering my desk might get the wrong idea ...

Leaway2

Lycrist
My Tannus Airless tyres have arrived finally!.

Job for the weekend methinks..

View attachment 608401
Let us know how you get on with these please.

My daughter came down to ask for more ink in the printer as she was about to print for college. Both blacks were low (one is photo black).

Replaced them and bing bong printer system error. Nothing would fix it so out comes all 5 cartridges and the print head removed and taken into the garage and blasted clean with electrical contact cleaner. If this doesn't work (it will be dry by tomorrow) then its new printer time. Had it 10 years.
Mrs Crank got a new laser printer a short time back, and run out of toner now. When new, they only partially fill them it seems. Anyhow, printer cost around 45 quid, new toner cartridge is 27 quid. Could have got this for maybe half, but she wants an original cartridge as it's for her work. Glad we don't have a colour one and all that extra kerfuffle.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son no. 2 needs to read course notes and routes better :rolleyes:

He's riding tomorrow's national junior TT and decided late last night that a TT bike wouldn't be a good idea due to the early climbs and tight corners; the TT forum had notes on it. The power riders might be OK but at 53kg he's going on his road bike with 60mm wheels rather than a rear disc to climb faster then see what happens on the descent. In Yorkshire we'd call it a 'spoco' TT course: https://www.strava.com/segments/27947991

So cue clip-on bars added, with a full 11-28 Dura-Ace onto his spare 60mm deep race wheels which co-incidentally have 22/23mm TT tubs on, Garmin mount on the stem rather than the bars. All set early this morning ready for the event tomorrow on the south coast. Now that's a drive given he's a 2/3/4 race on Sunday in Wakefield so the TT bars will be off and wheel changed for that late tomorrow evening.

TBH I'm not expecting a brilliant result but he's at least having a go tomorrow: it'll be a morning test-ride and he may decide to use the TT bike after all - in which case it's 'as you were' :laugh:.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Snap.

I've just resurrected a 15-year-old HP Photosmart, which gives good results for an elderly budget printer, but is a more than a tad temperamental. I'm discovering the joys of refilling integrated printhead/cartridges.

Anyone looking at the syringes littering my desk might get the wrong idea ...

New print head ordered for £25. If all else fails there are Office Jets with a good spec and auto document feed for scanning for £120 with 9 months free HP Instant ink. No brainer. Loathed to bin it unless it's really 'dead'.

avecReynolds531

Veteran

Set up front light on hack bike; powered from an old hub dynamo.

keithmac

Guru
My lad is adament we're taking the gearbox and engine out of my Mk2 Golf today so we'll see what happens!.

Got Arlo CCTV to fit as well and my Tannus tyres hopefully, busy day off work (busman's holiday :laugh:,).

The factory didn't grease the tapers when fitting this crank a couple of decades ago, so the extractor ripped out the threads. Now, I used to have a gear puller somewhere but goodness knows where it went. So less sophisticated means were employed.

View attachment 608865 2021-09-12_08-22-17 by rogerzilla, on Flickr
Bit of epoxy on that and it's good to go.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The factory didn't grease the tapers when fitting this crank a couple of decades ago, so the extractor ripped out the threads. Now, I used to have a gear puller somewhere but goodness knows where it went. So less sophisticated means were employed.

View attachment 608865 2021-09-12_08-22-17 by rogerzilla, on Flickr
a good welder will have that ready to go in a few hours.......if not, then duck tape will sort it

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Rode home with my lad from work tonight, he says to me he might need new pedals, I have a quick look and they are snapped in half. (He still has the cheap plastic ones that came with the bike.)

Remind me when we get home I say to him. 5 minutes after getting home I find a spare pair of V12s and they are fitted. My good deed of the day done - until he tells me tomorrow there is something wrong with them and that will remind me why I had taken them off one of my bikes some time previous. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom