What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Emergency shoe repairs, Gorrilla Glue Gel and a bike stand clamp!.

20210917_071127.jpg

Thorough(fish) clean for the x-trail;hasn't been even wiped over since the Fridays London to Cambridge ride and has had a lot of commute work since then.

All nice now though :okay:

I swapped out my chain a few weeks ago on the road bike and although it wasn't slipping, it seemed a bit noisy but on the two harder group rides I have done it has slipped once at the end of the 30mile route when I stand up to sprint uphill. I bought a spare cassette at the time I bought the new chain so that was put on just before tea. Hopefully it will be fine on my next hard group ride final sprint next week.

keithmac

Guru
The Buccaneer is finally under surgery, permanently magnet rotor and electronic ignition going on and the horrific Dynastart and mechanical regulator going in the bin!.

Got the stator on and keyless flywheel timed up yesterday, brackets made to mount new coil etc just wiring to do today.

20210917_115543.jpg

20210917_120119.jpg

20210917_123145.jpg

20210917_143101.jpg

20210917_154727.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This was a bike I bought for one of my boy‘s friends, he’s 11 but a bit vertically challenged. The BB and headset hadworked loose and it was a bit scruffy. I took it to my repairer friend locally for those things as he has the tools and gave it a new chain and tyres.
Bought a couple of rattle cans and finished it in stealthy black and red. Added a three way LED light for £2.50.
He (Dickson) is very pleased with the result.

Yesterday re-fitted front Terravail Cannonball tubeless with fresh rim tape and sealant.

Today checking the luggage set ups on my X-Trail and the better halfs' Kona for the forthcoming Champing break in Naarf*ck.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Added my newly purchased Boardman Hybrid Team Pedals to my Fuji. Pumped up the back tyre too as it had lost a little pressure.

Yesterday, I added my pannier rack and correctly set up my new Ortlieb panniers.

keithmac

Guru
Seviced our Kuga on Sunday, half way through designing a dipstick for the Powershift gearbox (it's a very convoluted way to set oil level and basically requires half a gearbox service to set, bloody madness!).

My Mk1 GTECH has been languishing in the shed, my son has expressed an interest in if for a work steed so gave it a good clean today.

50% TFR and detaling bushes have brought it up as good as new!. Just have to keep bike wet, clean in sections and rinse often.

Considering it's done 8,000 miles with basically no maintenance it's amazing how well it's come up, Carbon Belt and Pulleys still perfectly servicable.

The Nomad Rechargeable pressure washer is ideal for the bikes.

Washed my Mk2 GTECH as well which is a rarity!.

Can't make my mind up about the Tannus Airless tyre on my mid drive but that's a tread all on it's own..
20210920_114459.jpg

20210920_121551.jpg

20210920_121606.jpg

20210920_121611.jpg

20210920_125759.jpg

20210920_113058.jpg

20210919_083607.jpg

20210920_103529.jpg

20210920_111030.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Adjusted the front and rear derailleurs on my Raleigh SP Race as they weren't shifting properly.

Then pulled son no. 2's PlanetX hillclimb bike out. The crankset's always been a bit 'sticky' and I don't like that thought: it's purely for hillclimb competitions and it'd mean he lost power. So ...
  • Out comes the FSA 3D crankset; a bit dirty but fine
  • The Dura-Ace 9000 bottom bracket was a bit sticky and has always been a tight fit. So I'll save that for something else as it's got less than 10 miles on.
  • Swapped that with a new ceramic-bearing Aerozine and bit the 15g weight increase. In that goes, with a longer fixing bolt.
All spins nicely and freely. Just needs testing before a hillclimb on Saturday up something steep: https://veloviewer.com/segments/13283733

Now time to play with my new NeilPryde Bayamo TT bike build, having picked up some Zipp bars with Dura-Ace brake levers last week.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Finished this commuting bike for SO's niece. Needed more fettling than anticipated...had to rebuild both wheels with new spokes, cut off the original cranks as they were seized to the BB, both shifters were broken, chain was minging, V-brakes had been set up by a mechanic who had obviously never worked on V-brakes before (the pad spacers were the wrong way around for the boss spacing, so the arms were at a crazy angle).

It was just supposed to be new tyres and mudguards :rolleyes: 610271

Punkawallah

Über Member
You know, I've got a similar t-shirt to that one :-)

Fettling wise, brakes adjusted on the Renown (fair wear & tear) and _another_ quarter turn on the adjusting screw to try & stop the rattling at the far end of the gears.

Top Bottom