What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
For what it's worth, this is what V-brakes should look like. More like an H than a V! The fat spacers had been fitted on the pad side of the arms, meaning there was about an inch of cable between the rubber boot and the opposite arm.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The Moulton came back from the powdercoaters (it's pretty good, for powdercoat) so I re-riveted the rear suspension block. Not easy at all - the holes have to be exactly lined up in a piece of 1965 metal that has now been bent three times (once at the factory, once to get it off and once to get it back on). But it's done, and I've touched up the paint.

Attachments

• 20210922_182022.jpg
    20210922_182022.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210922_182041.jpg
    20210922_182041.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 6

Gillstay

Über Member
Went through this Raleigh and put it on e bay in the hope someone will use it as it was skip destined.

It felt wrong to just chuck a well made cycle that some kid may get some pleasure out off.

Attachments

• P1010773.JPG
    P1010773.JPG
    335.6 KB · Views: 6

Mike_P

Guru
Bike accessories fettling today. Having bought a Garmin Varia a few weeks back I have been using a below top bar bag instead of a saddle bag. Depending where I put the below top bar bag my left leg caught it to differing extents. Postie turned up today with a new quick release Bontanger saddle bag and 3D printed saddle bag compatible Varia mount. Both fitted, the 3D one on the upward angle of the saddle bars and the saddle bag as normal.

Today I replaced the stem on the Revell mixte. It's a vintage 1" threaded job, fitted until now with a low 80mm SR stem, which almost certainly was fitted with drops originally.
Now has a much taller post, with a 60mm riser stem. In fact it is too large an item really. At a reasonable height, it's as low as it will go, and the wedge is almost visible under the fork crown. But it has done what I wanted, and made the fit similar to the Scott.
Comparison

Shiny.
No idea when I'll get to ride it!

Attachments

• IMG_20210924_153420.jpg
    IMG_20210924_153420.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 7

C R

Guru
Today I replaced the stem on the Revell mixte. It's a vintage 1" threaded job, fitted until now with a low 80mm SR stem, which almost certainly was fitted with drops originally.
Now has a much taller post, with a 60mm riser stem. In fact it is too large an item really. At a reasonable height, it's as low as it will go, and the wedge is almost visible under the fork crown. But it has done what I wanted, and made the fit similar to the Scott.
Comparison
View attachment 610684
Shiny.
No idea when I'll get to ride it!
I'd be concerned if the wedge is as high as you say, you don't want that to slip.

I don't know if applying electrical tape counts as fettling but every time I used my Varia on my TT bike (mostly in training) it done this:
I used it for the first time on a TT last week and was impressed with how much more visible it looked, so I did this:

Not really pretty or aero but there's only one TT left for me so sourcing something better can wait till next year.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Tape of any type always counts :-)

Finally got rid of my saddle creak by rubbing the rails with grease. Let's see if it continues in silence . . .
Collected from the post office and swapped out the chain ring on the Galaxy. 52/42 down to 48/34. Still keeping the bigger ones for when the rings on the Renown go ;-)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My Lenovo 100s Ideapad has always had a slightly iffy keyboard, but it's got a lot, lot worse over the last few years.
Changing the keyboard means taking the entire laptop to bits.
How hard can it possibly be?
Before...
laptop before.jpg

OK, break out the Precision Screwdriver of Destiny, and let us begin!

Mid-fettle...
laptop inside.jpg

It's amazing how big the battery is (big black thing in middle, white text on it) compared to the actual computing bit (blueish thing on the right with barcode sticker).
A new keyboard was under a tenner of the Bay of E. It's underneath just about everything in there...
After.
laptop after.jpg

Ideapads come in a few colours, with either a black or white keyboard.
White ones have a white keyboard, so of course I was going to fit a black keyboard. Because I can!
Sadly, the keyboard is still rubbish. I now suspect the keyboard driver chip is a bit knacked.
That's a surface-mount component, and I don't have the part, or the kit to rework it.
I have also come to accept that my eyesight is no longer up to precision electronic work. After my retinal bleed in May 2008, my depth perception at close range is shot, and my now-dominant eye has heavy astigmatism. I can correct the astigmatism with a contact lens, but I just can't do close-up stuff anymore.
However. I have taken my laptop to bits, and reassembled it, and it still works! Considering it cost me £83 in 2016, and I'm happily running a business on it, it's doing OK. :okay:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've continued working on the Kingpin I bought a few weeks ago; new chain and the rear wheel's been cleaned and oiled, with a swap for the correct white Brooks saddle (one came in a pile of bike bits I was given). Just a tyre/tube swap to the original rear wheel from 7/1986 and that's this bike done with photo to follow.

Top Bottom