What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D_97_goodtimes

I could be riding my bike
I could be cleaning my bike
I could be eating a bacon sandwich

Needs must…….

Now - Have to hope DIY store has new plywood and fittings

This is my number 4 bike

Attachments

• 16591D55-536C-4DF2-8974-B276BC3CDE1A.jpeg
    16591D55-536C-4DF2-8974-B276BC3CDE1A.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 9
  • F8209BE5-B36B-48E0-A648-4AE648EBBF24.jpeg
    F8209BE5-B36B-48E0-A648-4AE648EBBF24.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 9

Tenkaykev

Guru
Some lovely pink handlebar grips complete with tassels, plus a pink basket and bell complete with Unicorn stickers for granddaughter's balance bike 😎

Hebe

getting better all the time
I know this barely counts as fettling, but air put in all the tyres of all the bikes. The ongoing fuel problems means that my partner will be breaking out his (once in a blue moon) bike. Daughter has covid so her bike won’t be going anywhere for a bit. There’s just something about doing bike stuff in the garage 🤓

I'm still in two minds about tonight's fettling. I have never came across a plastic sleeve left in a bb. However, when I last changed my BB I noticed that in the then new frame the sleeve fitted perfectly and googling suggested that it protects the BB bearings so I left it in. The bike has been silky smooth sat down pedalling but everytime I stood up or pushed off with one foot it made a right honk like squeaky brakes x5 without the extreme resistance to match the noise. So I took the sleeve out tonight.

I'm fairly certain that's what the noise was but I have to admit the sleeve done a good job of keeping things clean. Hopefully, the noise stops now but if not its going back in :scratch:

I'm still in two minds about tonight's fettling. I have never came across a plastic sleeve left in a bb. However, when I last changed my BB I noticed that in the then new frame the sleeve fitted perfectly and googling suggested that it protects the BB bearings so I left it in. The bike has been silky smooth sat down pedalling but everytime I stood up or pushed off with one foot it made a right honk like squeaky brakes x5 without the extreme resistance to match the noise. So I took the sleeve out tonight.

I'm fairly certain that's what the noise was but I have to admit the sleeve done a good job of keeping things clean. Hopefully, the noise stops now but if not its going back in :scratch:
9x better on that ride, no one footed pedaling noise or when I threw the bike left right on a climb but there was still the occasional but quieter noise when I stood up. Which to me suggests it wasn't the sleeve but it does enimate from the BB I cleaned up :wacko:

Just cleaned the chain and rear mech with 2 old toothbrushes, a used washing up sponge, some rags and rather more WD40 than I'd planned. Now re-oiled and cleaned clean on the outside so it will be interesting to see of the rattling was dirt or not.

CSRM.jpg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A fellow Moulton rider sourced me a nice rivet-type head badge for my 1965 Standard rebuild but, as a series 2 bike, it had a smooth stick-on decal rather than a proper embossed head badge.

There is no way I am drilling holes in the frame, so I put a couple of rivets of the right type and size into a tin can, filed off the mushroom at the back and glued the fake rivets to the badge. Just need some car badge fitting tape now.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've had my fixed out of the shed today and checked it over ready for winter, unusually the chains still got some life in it, usually after a winter round the local lanes its knackered, the tyres had some life left in them but were affected by several cuts and there a bulge in the side wall of the front one so replacements have been ordered, the front rim is getting a bit thin, 1.2 mm last time I checked, so I'll check it again when I change the tyres, otherwise all OK, bottom bracket and wheel bearings are good, brake blocks have plenty of meat on them and are well adjusted, and nothings loose, so its been washed down and put back in the shed till later this month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom