What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
After a number of punctures in the rear wheel over the last week, I have attempted again to diagnose the cause. Worthwhile, as on day after work, I had to walk for 2.5 hours until my wife could pick me up (I wouldn't pay for a taxi as that would have been most of that day's pay wasted - it would have been at least a 6 hour walk in total, if I'd had to walk all the way home).

For the umpteenth time this week, I have gone over both the tyre and wheel millimetre by millimetre and found absolutely nothing. I have gone through my entire store of tubes including after having patched a number of them. I have also checked the rim tape and spokes, nothing poking through, not even a burr that could have ripped a tube.

Having put the job off until today, as I have been extremely tired all week, I had what may be an epiphany. What if I was using the wrong size tube?

Bear with me.

I used to run 32mm tyres on my bike so had 28-38mm tubes. I then switched to 28mm tyres and kept the same tubes. What if the 28-38mm tubes were too big and being pinched in some way shape or form when going over a bump?

I was that tired the other night, I bought the wrong size tube in Halfords (I had ridden 23 km to work, worked all day, ridden 2km then walked for 2.5hours pushing my bike, so I'm allowed ;) plus running round like a blue-ar$ed fly for the previous 3 days :laugh: ). I bought 23-32mm tubes.

This may be it says I. There'll not be any extraneous material (although inflated) to be pinched. So I've installed a 23-32mm tube into the wheel. I've taken the bike for a test ride (only 6 km or so total), purposely ridden over a few bumps, and it seems fine.

I did have a issue where the bead didn't seat properly causing a flat spot. A dab of washing up liquid sorted that out.

Could this be it? Could I have solved it? Could I have been so tired, I couldn't see the wood for the trees? I don't know. Time will tell I suppose.

D

Deleted member 1258

This afternoon I replaced the Rubinos that were on the fixed with Vittoria Zaffiro's, the Rubinos still had some life left in them but had cut up. While I was at it I cleaned up the rear hub and cog, I also checked the thickness of the front rim, its worn and about 1.2 mm thick, I should get another winter out of it but I'll keep an eye on it.

1633878735194.png

Drzdave58

Über Member
I finished up cleaning and reassembly on my 64 Moulton. New cable housings, tires, tubes, saddle, grips. Waiting for new pedals, bar end plugs and Moulton transfer to arrive. Took it for its maiden voyage and it rides beautifully.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Stripped rear wheel hub bearings on my latest project , drive side were dry and very worn so replaced them and added some grease non drive side were treated to some fresh grease ^_^

Hopefully that should stop the grumbling noise ,

Just waiting for some new quick release levers then i can do an evaluation ride .

Less than 2 years old according to previous owner and it doesn't look like it's ever had any maintenance done

Not so much a fettle, more I got fettled or to be accurate the machine I was on got fettled.

I was in the gym tonight and the leg press I was using the guard/rest jammed in the open position so I couldn’t end my set, had to shout a buddy who was in the gym over to unstack the weight and then I could get down. Had to hold 120kg for a good minute or two 😂😂.
Reported it to staff who put an out of order sign on it.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The bell came with the bike, but u can order them .

Velo Orange has nice stuff. Expensive, but nice.

The Velo Orange bottom bracket in my son's 'Project Orange' Carlton Corsa is a) probably worth more than the rest of the bike, and b) will out-last everything else.

Oh, and my Ridgeback Platinum has Velo Orange brakes. They're brilliant and a nice piece of bling.

postman

Legendary Member
Non cycling put two single beds together,found a small fault with mine.A support bracket it out of line all it needs is a small hole enlarging with a wood drill bit,ten min job,but company are coming out next week to look at it.

Top Bottom