What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A fair bit done to the MTB today. Two days of MTB'ing at Penmachno and Llandegla. Penmachno was exceptionally wet - literally riding in a stream for four hours. Plenty of hub deep puddles, including one that was upto my knees.

Bikes were surprisingly clean after day one, but Llandegla was damp, so fairly mud splattered.

Took the precaution to re-grease both hubs, check the freehub, re-grease both jockey wheels, and re-grease the BB bearings. They needed it. Some water in the hub axels ! Chain and cassette degreased. and swapped onto chain 'two' - running two chains on the MTB.

Drzdave58

Über Member
I made this rear fender from black walnut and got it setup on my Ruff bike today

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Morning: Punctured on the way to work. Checked the tyre couldn't find the reason. Installed new tube. Refused to inflate. Faulty? Installed last spare tube. Inflated, but not great. Rode to work.

Lunchtime: Patching tubes.

Afternoon: Puncture on the way home. Installed patched tube. Deflated. Rang my wife to meet me in the car at a spot I knew she'd know and walked 2 miles to reach her.

Evening: Go and buy a load of new tubes and some CO2 cylinders. Check tyre again - still cannot find any reason for the puncture. Fit new tube and inflate. Cross fingers it stays inflated. Search online for a better pump, preferably a mini track pump.

• Hugs
Reactions: C R
Revell mixte: haven't ridden for a month, so wanter to prepare this for a ride tomorrow.
Re-insert bar end-cap that I'd forgotten to replace after stem swap.
Clean and lubricate drive train. Not too bad, all things considered.
Clean brake tracks with isopropanol. They needed it, quite apart from all the GT85 I'd just been spraying about.
Scott roadie: some other time...

si_c

Guru
Replaced the bar tape on the Trek, it was the original Bontrager cork and whilst it was serviceable I'm not a huge fan of the texture and in wet weather it gets slippy. Put on some BBB Flex Tape, very very impressed with what was a budget buy, very grippy and nicely padded, definitely looking forward to seeing how it rides in more depth. Quite different from the Lizard Skins I have used in the past or the SuperCaz I'm using on the Racelight.

Also replaced the PSU in my computer, the old unit had developed a whine and being 11 years old I decided to be cautious and replace it. Put in a Corsair 850W unit and then spent an hour tidying up the cable runs at the back as well as rerouting some of the HDD data cables. It looks slightly cleaner from the front and the back looks tidier, not that anyone will ever see either, but I'll know they do.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Several bits, some by me, some by my LBS:

Son's Ridley Noah Fast is almost ready, we're just waiting on the carbon bars arriving from Ridley to swap with the aluminium ones supplied. My LBS swapped the bottom bracket for an improved Rotor one, changed the Vegast crankset for a Dura-Ace with Absolute Black chainrings we'd supplied along with Dura-Ace pedals. They also added some race tyres plus training tyres to his new race and training wheels as they had stock.

Son's BeOne Raw training bike also had a headset re-done by them; really quick turn-around in less than a day.

The Dawes Kingpin TT project that's been sat for over a year has finally had the wheels built by my LBS - it's been a 15 month wait. Pandemic, massive demand, etc. caused the delay but they've been done well. Now to get on with the rest of the project, although I'll need to source some shifters and brakes.

Dawes Kingpin no. 3 got new tyres/tubes and I've a minor bit of fettling to adjust the kick-stand, which is bent, or swap it for a different one. Then I've to think what I'll do with a third one.

And last night I impressed SWMBO by finishing the touch-up paint on my NeilPryde Bayamo TT frame on the dining table: it needed a flat, level surface to lay the frame sideways on for the top-coat on a frame chip and the table suited well. I think her tone was her being impressed, or at least I'll take it as that ;)

Last edited:

Svendo

Guru
The gradual replacement of metal fixings with zip ties on my commuting bikes mudguards continues:
Found one rear stay mount had sheared where it bends. So drilled some holes in the remaining part and the guard. Hacksawed and filed the prongs protruding from the guard. Then re attached with zip ties, backed up with wire scavenged from a Prosecco cork cage.
203A112D-FA00-46E7-825D-95775B965D61.jpeg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Fitted rear rack to my recumbent. I was awaiting some offset struts as the seat stays are further apart than your standard bike. All good but need to shorten struts by 3.5cm. That will allow the pannier hooks to be wider apart for stability. Got to love Tubus. If there’s an adaption needed to fit their racks to your bike. You can guarantee they probably have it.

Got a mini four day tour planned end of the month. More touring after winter. Touring in comfort.

2067749C-93E5-43F1-A4EA-5EB160698459.jpeg

2373F744-8948-4EBD-87DA-16ABCCDCAB40.jpeg

Gunk

Guru
The gradual replacement of metal fixings with zip ties on my commuting bikes mudguards continues:
Found one rear stay mount had sheared where it bends. So drilled some holes in the remaining part and the guard. Hacksawed and filed the prongs protruding from the guard. Then re attached with zip ties, backed up with wire scavenged from a Prosecco cork cage. View attachment 612565 View attachment 612565

I’ve got a spare bridge if you want one

Svendo

Guru
That’s kind, The part that broke here is proprietary to fit the mounts. The rear brake bridge mount has been replaced and broken again, and a new bridge is in the spares box. But the temporary zip ties there are going into their 3rd winter!

Top Bottom