What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
This will explain why my chain isn’t running smooth!! Better sort it before it blows up under load

keithmac

Guru
Forgot about my Bonneville, had a go at that this afternoon..

Carb slides not opening fully, snaged slide springs, vacuum slide diaphragms incorrectly fitted, had to cut slots into the seized "tamperproof" pilot air screws to remove.

Yet again sorting last blokes mess out :rolleyes:.

Ordered some bits to finish it tomorrow hopefully..

A rough chain on the Tourer had been diagnosed as it being several links too long, so that in some gears the rear mech was fully retracted and the chain still loose, so it rubbed against the jockey wheels.

This clearly was urgent, so I dithered and tried to ignore it for a week or two.

Yesterday I decided enough was enough, and it was time to fix the chain. I didn't have a tool to open the missing link, but I was not worried: I had found several Youtube videos showing that this is simply achieved by wrapping a used gear cable around the missing link and pulling it with a pair of pliers, and stick it one to the capitalist-consumerist society.

I attempted this method, and it was a valuable experience. For one, it told me that this method didn't work.

This was annoying, so I went to get my things together for another rattly ride. On the way, I reflected that I shouldn't be downhearted: I'd learned from the experience and I would find another way forward. What, for example, would Napoleon have done?

Invade Sardinia, probably. This was not helpful.

Suddenly a light bulb moment: I had a spare missing link in my tool bag. I needed to remove several links. I could remove the links around the ML, and then just put one link in.

This was achieved, with a bit more removed than I was planning. I rode nervously around the car park: silence.

I cycled back from work marvelling at the lack of effort, and no longer clicking in a manner that had brought small children out to watch.

30km later the chain hasn't landed on the road in a rather ugly mess: the bike is working, gears change first time; everyone is happy.

Last edited:

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
A rough chain on the Tourer had been diagnosed as it being several links too long, so that in some gears the rear mech was fully retracted and the chain still loose, so it rubbed against the jockey wheels.

This clearly was urgent, so I dithered and tried to ignore it for a week or two.

Yesterday I decided enough was enough, and it was time to fix the chain. I didn't have a tool to open the missing link, but I was not worried: I had found several Youtube videos showing that this is simply achieved by wrapping a used gear cable around the missing link and pulling it with a pair of pliers, and stick it one to the capitalist-consumerist society.

I attempted this method, and it was a valuable experience. For one, it told me that this method didn't work.

This was annoying, so I went to get my things together for another rattly ride. On the way, I reflected that I shouldn't be downhearted: I'd learned from the experience and I would find another way forward. What, for example, would Napoleon have done?

Invade Sardinia, probably. This was not entirely helpful.

Suddenly a light bulb moment: I had a spare missing link in my tool bag. I needed to remove several links. I could remove the links around the ML, and then just put one link in.

This was achieved, with a bit more removed than I was planning. I rode nervously around the car park: silence.

I cycled back from work marvelling at the lack of effort, and no longer clicking in a manner that had brought small children out to watch.

30km later the chain hasn't landed on the road in a rather ugly mess: the bike is working, gears change first time; everyone is happy.

This did make me chuckle, I can only apologise that it had to be at your expense!

I use the gear cable method, but found that it has to be of sufficient length otherwise you don't get enough free for a strong grip.

I'm thinking I'll just replace my damaged chain link with another quick link, I too found one in the tool box a couple of days ago!

si_c

Guru
Been unhappy with the brake line routing on the Racelight, it was a little shorter (perhaps an inch) than I would have liked meaning that the line rubbed against the fork a bit. I've been meaning to do this for a while, so took advantage of watching a seminar this afternoon to pull the line off entirely and fit a new brake line.

Was a little apprehensive as this is the first time I've fully replaced a brake hose, but it all went really smoothly. The old hose came off easily enough after fully draining the system - although there was a little rust like discolouring at the caliper end. Took the new hose, new barbs installed, olive fitted and new fittings that came with the kit. Greased the threads which hadn't been done on previously, and installed.

New brake fluid to fill and flush the lines and all done. Didn't take anywhere near as long as I thought it might, about a half hour.

keithmac

Guru
Been riding to work on my homebrew ebike, love it to bits!.

Adjusted the saddle one click back but as you can see in the picture it was a click too far.

Just waiting for my Tannus Airless tyres to arrive but I think Hermes have lost them by the look if it, bloody hope not!.

Calibrated the Triumph speedo as well, so it's ready to get collected now. Was relatively straight forward after I'd got my head around it (used GPS measured mile, then compared to GPS speed, it's bob on).

How a shop can (very badly) wire a speedo in, charge customer and not even try to set it up is mind boggling really..

Got legged in to a Harley Prep (and carb clean!) as well, not too bad a job.

Had an accident on the Snap-on van last week as well, like moving house moving tool boxes!. Ignore the catalogue pose :laugh:.

JhnBssll

Veteran
A bit more prep for the Oltre this afternoon ready for tomorrows ride. A quick wheel off clean (it was dusty more than anything :blush:) was the first job.

With the chain removed I decided it was time to swap it for its warranty replacement - the coloured coating had started to come away in chunks and KMC sent a free replacement after I sent them a few photos and some details - fair play to them :okay:

On reassembly I noticed the rear disc was scuffing slightly so I spent a bit of time getting it straight again. Whilst doing this job I noticed the left hand pedal was very tight on its bearings. I say noticed, I mean remembered - this was a job I'd been meaning to do for months :laugh: So I quickly stripped it and adjusted the bearings before popping it back together again 😊

All shiny and clean again for tomorrow's ride, and wearing her new chain 😊

Still waiting on the warranty replacement frame to cure the wonky bottle cage mounts but given the state of the bicycle market that might be a year away as yet, I've been waiting 6 months already since they confirmed they'd replace it :laugh: With it being perfectly rideable I'm not in any hurry, in fact its ace knowing it'll be replaced at some point as I don't have to worry about picking up scuffs or stone chips (or loosely clamping the top tube in a workstand :laugh:)...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Replacement cartridge bearing sourced on ebay for my old MTB's Shimano STX headset - they are getting hard to find. The only issue I've had, the last 20 years that that headset has been there, its the original headset was a very low stack, and even removing the washer, I only get about 5mm maximum thread for the top lock nut to secure with. Well it was starting to strip, and I've got no spares, so flipped the locknut for the 'unused' thread and it's secure (tested on a very bumpy off road ride). Nice to have a smooth headset again. Should last a long time as the bike is wearing full guards now.

The seat post on my ebike lowers itself into the frame of the bike, slowly but surely, and no amount of pressure on the seat post clamp will stop it. Maybe its a reflection of the weight that it is expected to bear.

Today I got fed up with this impromptu dropper post. I have put a jubilee clip round the seat post so that (hopefully!) it can't sink further into the frame on every ride.....

si_c

Guru
The seat post on my ebike lowers itself into the frame of the bike, slowly but surely, and no amount of pressure on the seat post clamp will stop it. Maybe its a reflection of the weight that it is expected to bear.

Today I got fed up with this impromptu dropper post. I have put a jubilee clip round the seat post so that (hopefully!) it can't sink further into the frame on every ride.....
Remove the seatpost, clean the inside of the frame and the post itself, then remove the clamp and clean the bolt and all the threads. Regrease the threads on the bolt, and refit, chances are something got greased or oily and there's not enough friction in the system to hold it in place. If that fails, refit jubilee clip :laugh:

The seat post on my tourer does that, but as it takes several weeks before I notice I generally reset it, make a mental note to deal with the problem, then forget it for six weeks until I realise my knees are around my ears again, and repeat...

Last edited:

Maybe a shim could be added to fix the problem. A drinks can comes in handy for this, great excuse to neck a beer :smile:

Top Bottom