What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
First the tandem canti brakes needed adjusting due to wear. Inevitably with cantis this ended up taking about an hour or so. Such a pain to set up.

Then the tyre inner tube and cassette needed swapping over to a spare wheel after yesterday's incident. Will get the pringled one re-rimmed, but that's an LBS job, no wheel builder am I.

Also patched the tube from yesterday's puncture. Finally, got round to putting cleats on the new MTB shoes, the old ones being well and truly past it...

And faffed around deciding how many insoles to add to compensate for my problem of having very long and very narrow feet.

keithmac

Guru
Framed my loft hatch today, bought a PVC kit but it didn't cut the mustard unfortunately so...

I dug some skirting out of the loft, then I dug out and unboxed a table saw I've owned for probably 10 years to rip it down to size.

After fitting the trim I then had to make a table to sit on top of the table saw so I could put all the tut back in the right place :laugh:.

Pleased with the trim, coving needs filling then a few coats of paint will sort it out.

The plasterboard was a right mess where last loft hatch had been fitted so this has been screwed into the joists/ frame above to support it all.

Took me all afternoon but I wasn't rushing, nice to just potter around once in a while :okay:.

Got Oil and Filter to do on the family Kuga but that can wait until next Sunday..

Framed my loft hatch today, bought a PVC kit but it didn't cut the mustard unfortunately so...

I dug some skirting out of the loft, then I dug out and unboxed a table saw I've owned for probably 10 years to rip it down to size.

After fitting the trim I then had to make a table to sit on top of the table saw so I could put all the tut back in the right place :laugh:.

Pleased with the trim, coving needs filling then a few coats of paint will sort it out.

The plasterboard was a right mess where last loft hatch had been fitted so this has been screwed into the joists/ frame above to support it all.

Took me all afternoon but I wasn't rushing, nice to just potter around once in a while :okay:.

Got Oil and Filter to do on the family Kuga but that can wait until next Sunday..

View attachment 607840

View attachment 607841

View attachment 607842

Crikey that's tight. Nice work though.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
As I'll need my MTB all this week, I thought I'd better clean it up and have a test ride. Problems with gears ghosting on middle sprockets so new chain on and hope for the best. Second test ride: no, it's the cassette and I don't have a new one to fit and the shops are now shut. Remembered I had an old cassette from another bike that is very worn but may do as a stop-gap - fitted it and tested: it's fine for normal pootling but slips under big power - that's perfect as no big power is needed. Replacement ordered for click and collect tonight, and it will only take two minutes to swap them over. Ready to go!

I also swapped the tyres over for hybrid as more fit for purpose this week.

@keithmac we got ours done last year and find we get a little bit of expansion on the locking side (closest side in your pictures) in the summer but then it shrinks back down in the winter, don’t be tempted too trim it back initially, just give it a good shove to close it up.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
My new cassette for the MTB was finally ready to collect, I did so and fitted it. Lovely shifting.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The rear gears on my Raleigh SP Race went to single-speed last night after the cable went, so a new rear cable was installed. It's done 2500 miles since built late last year so a decent amount of use.

The bike's heading into commuting use, so needed to be ready for when I start commuting again in a week or so - albeit one day a week at first.

CXRAndy

Guru
The seat post on my ebike lowers itself into the frame of the bike, slowly but surely, and no amount of pressure on the seat post clamp will stop it. Maybe its a reflection of the weight that it is expected to bear.

Today I got fed up with this impromptu dropper post. I have put a jubilee clip round the seat post so that (hopefully!) it can't sink further into the frame on every ride.....

Take the post out degrease. Then rub with 100 grit sandpaper to roughen the post where it sits in the frame.

Ive just had this on my new bike, with a new post. No more slipping 👍

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My daughter came down to ask for more ink in the printer as she was about to print for college. Both blacks were low (one is photo black).

Replaced them and bing bong printer system error. Nothing would fix it so out comes all 5 cartridges and the print head removed and taken into the garage and blasted clean with electrical contact cleaner. If this doesn't work (it will be dry by tomorrow) then its new printer time. Had it 10 years.

Top Bottom