What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
I dug the 26er out a couple of days ago, in preparation for the South Downs Way and found the hydraulic brake fluid had emptied itself out. Hydraulic brakes tend to overheat coming down off the moors on 20 - 25% hills, so I ordered some mechanical brakes and fitted them today, with good results (Cheap Clarks Brake set £28). They're road brakes but good enough for my style of riding (rarely more than 1" air :laugh:)

Fitted a 2.1" Nobby Nic, to the rear wheel. Decent 2.1" tyres seem to be on the way out, which is a pain, I had to buy two NNs second hand :sad:

I think the tan walls set it off nicely.
Great minds...
New City Jet tanwalls, new KMC Z8.3 chain, new 11-32t cassette.
20220726_145725.jpg

I also did a bit more cleaning. If I remember correctly, @Gunk and/or @biggs682 advocate a gentle go-over with #0000 wire wool and WD40, no?

Currently trying to subdue a broken Shimano Positron system on a bike brought in for repair. Unfortunately I think the customer will be disappointed as the whole rear mech is bent, so she'll have to wait for a scrap bike to come in with a replacement positron system, or swap the entire system.

november4

I'm a mechanical engineer but my brain still says "right tighty" every time I pick up a wrench :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
monday i attempted to replace the cover plate on my 4700 tiagra shifter , easy job 2 mins ?
Dropped the old screw on the floor and it was gone forever, not a problem as i have the new one ... placed the new cover plate on the bin while i nipped inside for a small screwdriver and when i came back it had blown off so i spent a good 20 mins looking for it , found it yay !
whilst trying to get the screw in i knocked it into the shifter body , tried turning the bike upside down and shaking the shifter but its ruddy vanished :sad:

Next morning and:

The tyres hold.

Alert level reduced to Defcon 4.

If they still hold next week the bike will go out to the showroom; I'm taking no chances this time.

Have you replaced the rim tape? Likely to be a spoke nipple pushing up and puncturing the tube.

I think that's what it was, although I saw no damage to the tape I replaced it anyway. I suspect it was just enough to cause a slight split and the pressure did the rest. Showroom bikes get their tyres pumped up to 4 bar/60 PSI unless there's a good reason to do otherwise, partly so we can check for this sort of thing.

While the haunted bike is left to see what it does next, I checked this bike today:

20220729_141410.jpg

Gudereit are a small German company making mid range city, touring and racing (I think) bikes. This was okay; thankfully the Sram hub was working; I'm pretty sure the brake handles were for Canti's though. I got them working but only by really fine tuning them so the blocks were barely 2mm from the wheels. I'd have liked to swap them to test the thery but getting the bike out for sale was the priority.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
We've been doing some stripping, some painting and some upgrading whilst I've been recovering from Covid.

Firstly son no. 2's orange Carlton Corsa was full of chips so we stripped it down, re-painted it and gave it a huge load of laquer. It's also had new orange tyres. No photo as it's exactly the same as before and it's now ready for him to take it to university in September.

Then I've been working on an upgrade for my NeilPryde Nazaré as my son's Cervelo S3 doesn't seem to have been passed on ... It's had:
  • Dura-Ace 9000 shifters, brakes, front and rear derailleur
  • New inner and outer gear cables
  • New KMC-X11EL chain
  • New Swissstop Black Prince carbon brake pads
  • Plus carbon wheels front and rear. Non-matching but that's OK for now.
All tested and working fine:

NeilPryde-DA.JPG

Top Bottom