What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buzz22

Über Member
20230328_103239.jpg

20230328_103248.jpg

Last day of prep before we head down to the alpine region of NSW for a charity ride.
I'm taking two bikes, a last minute panic to make sure they're both suitable for climbing.
I decided that the gearing on my 1987 Clamont wouldn't be low enough. The small chainring already got swapped from a 42 to a 39 and I decided to go from a 12-28 on the back to an 11-32.
Some turns on the 'b' screw on the rear derailleur and it's shifting nicely.
Almost ready 👍

C R

Guru
View attachment 683401

View attachment 683402
Last day of prep before we head down to the alpine region of NSW for a charity ride.
I'm taking two bikes, a last minute panic to make sure they're both suitable for climbing.
I decided that the gearing on my 1987 Clamont wouldn't be low enough. The small chainring already got swapped from a 42 to a 39 and I decided to go from a 12-28 on the back to an 11-32.
Some turns on the 'b' screw on the rear derailleur and it's shifting nicely.
Almost ready 👍

Looks like you need to be careful with your shifting and stay away from the large sprockets when using the big chainring, a lapse in concentration may be costly.

buzz22

Über Member
Looks like you need to be careful with your shifting and stay away from the large sprockets when using the big chainring, a lapse in concentration may be costly.

Definitely- I normally don't use the 2 biggest sprockets with the large ring or the 2 smallest with the small chainring to avoid cross chaining.
The 32 is the absolute limit the short cage rear will take, it should be a good option for the climbs we'll do.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I recently picked up a Carrera road bike to use on an indoor trainer. It was a bargain at £50! It's got a basic group set Shimano Tourney but all of it was in really good condition. No worn chainring teeth or wobbles etc.

Before I start training I'm going to give it a full service. Tonight stripped front wheel down, cleaned it all up, checked bearings and regreased etc. It was worth doing as the old grease was past its besst and it runs much smoother now!

Also removed the chain and rear derailleur, think I'll replace the chain just simply so it's fresh but will strip down the derailleur and rebuild it before I move on to the dreaded bottom bracket etc!

What a bargain 😳 Sounds a fun little ‘project’ ! Good luck and post some pics up ! 😎

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The wheels that were removed from my Sap Elan on Sunday have now been put on the Pickenflick as they run quite a bit smoother. I transferred over the brake disks and tyres from the old wheels on the Pickenflick, taking the opportunity to put the rear tyre on the correct way round with the pointy bit of the light 'V' pattern facing forward. I know it makes no difference to the performance or handling, but it just irked me evry time I looked at it.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
The wheels that were removed from my Sap Elan on Sunday have now been put on the Pickenflick as they run quite a bit smoother. I transferred over the brake disks and tyres from the old wheels on the Pickenflick, taking the opportunity to put the rear tyre on the correct way round with the pointy bit of the light 'V' pattern facing forward. I know it makes no difference to the performance or handling, but it just irked me evry time I looked at it.

Would have done me too 😎

It’s either right. Or it’s not !!

Dirty Camino

Regular
So this evening I built my turbo trainer, and continued servicing my recently obtained Carrera road bike. First I cleaned the rear derailleur, stripped the rear wheel ( that was a battle until I realised it was a freewheel not a cassette, doh!).

Found that one side was missing a bearing (definitely worth doing the service for things like this!) so replaced that and replaced the tube and tyre with a turbo trainer tyre!

Next stop bottom bracket and front derailleur...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I picked up a very slow puncture on Saturday's offroad forum ride. I fixed that this evening.

I had a problem with my rear Crudguard on that ride. I couldn't tighten the clamp enough to stop the guard slipping round. I took it off tonight and put a shim round the seatpost. The clamp tightened up properly with that in place.

I did a short singlespeed ride today and discovered that the wheel rims were so grubby that I only had about 50% braking power. (I couldn't lock the wheels on damp roads.) I just scrubbed the rims (and tyres) and a lot of oily grime came off so I think braking will be vastly improved. [PS Yes, brakes much better now.]

While I was working on the singlespeed, I noticed that the chain tensioner's jockey wheel was slightly misaligned so I moved it over about 2 mm. The bike has been slightly noisy recently. That might help, but I think that something else needs attention too. I'll see what it sounds like on my next ride. [PS Yes, the bike is now significantly quieter, but I think that there is still something else ticking away. I'll try to track that down ASAP.]

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Chain was auto shifting on cassette, later on, on today’s ride. For me there were two suspected causes (as chain less than month old), either lock ring loose or cassette worn out. Checked cassette when back home and it wasn’t loose. Replaced cassette, then decided to lube chain after recent rain. That’s where I discovered a broken quick link. Likely cause of auto gear shifting , but old cassette had good run and cannot be bothered digging it out again, as had planned to replace by June at latest anyway.

Lucky as did a Paris Brest Paris qualifier a couple of weekend’s back and next one not till end of month. I do have spare quick links in my parts box, thus chain back in working order. We shall see tomorrow!

89EBBB7A-481A-43EE-BE02-AAC7B3CEBF2A.jpeg

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Definitely- I normally don't use the 2 biggest sprockets with the large ring or the 2 smallest with the small chainring to avoid cross chaining.
The 32 is the absolute limit the short cage rear will take, it should be a good option for the climbs we'll do.

I'm running the slightly newer 600 Mech (without the aero cage) so might get away with a 28 or 30 (39x53 front) - currently running a 26T

Edit, to add, some of my fast friends are running compacts and bigger sprockets these days. A 39x26 is not pleasant on anything over 10% these days - I need to spin a bit more.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Chain was auto shifting on cassette, later on, on today’s ride. For me there were two suspected causes (as chain less than month old), either lock ring loose or cassette worn out. Checked cassette when back home and it wasn’t loose. Replaced cassette, then decided to lube chain after recent rain. That’s where I discovered a broken quick link. Likely cause of auto gear shifting , but old cassette had good run and cannot be bothered digging it out again, as had planned to replace by June at latest anyway.

Lucky as did a Paris Brest Paris qualifier a couple of weekend’s back and next one not till end of month. I do have spare quick links in my parts box, thus chain back in working order. We shall see tomorrow!

View attachment 683913
I was thinking the other day that I had never seen a broken quick link, and suddenly one pops up here...

PS I thought MY chains were mucky, but that one sets a new standard! :laugh:

Top Bottom