What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Wheel build complete with truing, dishing, stress relieving, tensioning all finished. Need to wait for tubeless tape, valve and disc rotor now.

IMG_5212.jpeg

I have posted this elsewhere but thought it also fitted here ! After my ride out on my lads bike I had decided to get one ( I haven'y done much biking as I have a medical condition which made it very difficult and last year I smashed my shoulder to bits and destroyed my bike on one of the very few rides I did), I was looking second hand so that I could customize it to my liking and pay a cheaper price. I've looked all over and couldn't really see anything one in the price range I wanted to pay = cheap as possible and 2 ideally I was looking at a 80's 90's MTB. Today I walked around a corner in Stourbridge and found two bikes leaning against a lamppost outside someone's house. All I had to do was cut the lock and they were mine ( sorry that was the inner Dudley coming out !) In reality I knocked the door and asked if they were put out for the scrap man which they were so I've rescued this one ( the bigger one of the two) it just needs a new chain. I managed to take it apart and fit it in my micro car. to get it home. I've adjusted the brakes blown the tyres up cleaned it up and give it some lube and this is how it looks. My luck never normally works this way so I'm off to do the lottery !

PS it didn't look this nice when I found it !

BIKE1.jpg

Last edited:
Back to fettling! Both bikes out of storage, plus another dump job for some spares, a basic Scott MTB from around 2000. Good biaxial alloy frame, but everything else, almost, rotted beyond recovery. The rather nice looking Scott saddle, which matched my Scott perfectly, actually began to disintegrate once I began to remove it. Ho hum. Few other bits gained, though, so worth the effort. Scott and Marin lubed and wiped over, air in tyres, etc. Nothing too strenuous, just mechanical pottering, really, and great weather for it.
Riding starting July!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Had fitted the double 2.5mm spacers on non drive side of HT2 BB, when it should have been drive side. Discovered when trying to shift to granny ring (and couldn’t). Removed old cranks. Removed BB. Spacer moved across to drive side. Replacement XT triple with 48,36,26 rings plus chain guard fitted, drive side pedal moved across cranks. Left hand crank from old chain set used, as it’s my power meter crank and XT anyway. Front derailleur shifted up as old big ring was 40t. No need to adjust chain as recumbent; thus long chain can tolerate the jump in ring sizes. Nicely shifting across all 3 rings now, after reclamping cable. Friction shifting and thus no need to mess around with indexing.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If so does fitting with blu tak a mirror screw cover on to a metal cavity wall "rawlplug" to disguise it count ?
Ha ha!

There are about 10 of those on the aforementioned bathroom wall but I ignored them.

What had been bothering me for 7 or 8 years since I moved into this rental property was that the large mirror kindly left behind by the previous owner was positioned to suit a [insert socially acceptable description for a person of diminutive stature here] rather than someone 'tallish'. If I stood up straight the highest I could see was about my sternum. I have been stooping down to use the mirror and today it finally bugged me enough to reposition it! It is now about 15 cms higher and much better for me to use. I could have raised it another 5 cms to be ideal for me, but then it would have been a bit high for shorter people.

[I bet you that the thick string supporting the mirror ends up snapping now! If so, I will report my successful self-jinxing below when it happens... :whistle:]

Hopefully that has worked just why I have never noticed it on TT or the turbore is beyond me. I took the TT bike out for a ride and whilst it was gloomy and cool, it was dry shortly after I got to town it was a rhythmic squeak, creak, squeak that seemed to been emanating from right pedal and by the end of the ride it was really getting on my wick. Being occupied with diagnosing the noise was just one reason I didn't have the motivation to push to threshold for the 4x5min intervals. So when I got home I removed the pedals but they seemed to have plenty of grease in the spindles. I cleaned, regreased and retightened anyway. I next had a look a the chainring bolts but they seemed to be tight and I don't think they would have made a noise unless I shifted to the wee ring, which I never. So I left them alone. So I had a look at the cleats and the right one which are shimmed use longer bolts which are tightened with a screw driver. I took them out one by one cleaned them and regreased them before semi tightening and repeating for the other bolts. They seemed a bit dry on removal and a bit easy to remove so perhaps them being loose and dry was the problem. So I gave them the circulatory tighten: one bolt a bit, next bolt a bit, 3rd bolt a bit, then back to the 1st one, etc. I don't really plan on testing it before Saturdays race though :whistle:

Sallar55

Veteran
Snagged a hose last week , now air in the system so needs a proper fix.

PXL_20230602_161258241.jpg

PXL_20230602_161251826.jpg
Alwaysa carry some hose connector bits, little tube of mineral oil and tools , the hose had almost pulled out of the olive. Just needs tightened down and the spare disc pads fitted as the old pads will be knackered with the oil.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Washer dryer was leaking everywhere. Found a chunk missing from the door seal. Right- call engineer to replace. But no! I decided I would get some polyurethane sealant and fix it with that- but then I thought of something more immediate.

Cut up a cat food pouch and wedged it between the damaged part of the seal and the door. Perfect.

I finally got some PU sealant (some Sika material, in grey) and filled in the missing chunk with that. So far, so good.

Top Bottom