What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Charged the TT bikes power meter...
I have been having problems with a loose-fitting USB connection on my tech-charger. Sometimes it would work, other times I would come back and find that the tech was NOT charged because the cable plug had wiggled loose. I did a simple bodge today which has made it 100% secure...

USB connector bodge.jpg

(I made a little wedge out of some plastic from my recycling box. I left it long to remind me that it is there if/when I unplug the cable.)

Mike_P

Guru
More de-fettling in removing a push fit bottom bracket this afternoon. Drive side relatively easily came off once I had the bike laid on the ground using work pads and stacked timber as supports. Somewhat more involved than the numerous YouTube videos showing it being done to a bike on a bike stand with apparently no issues with movement of the frame. The otherside broke with the inner plastic end coming off and the remainder stuck fast. Lashings of WD40 and penetrating oil failed to resolve the matter and I realised it needed something more than the mallet on the knocking out tool. The latter replaced by a chunky hammer, handle end on the stuck push fit and a couple of whacks of the twanging mallet on the hammer head saw a clear movement and a couple more and it was out. Now to clean up the BB of the oil.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Having got the crankset etc and chain on gave the bike a wipe over with kitchen towels damped with swarfega; the amount of muck of what appeared to be clean blue bar tape was quite noticeable.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm switching around the settee / TV end and Dining end of my downstairs rooms - the connect through a wide square arch, if such an oxymoron exists.

The broadband and TV aerial all come in to on end but just near the part dividing wall, so need to pass at least a Ethernet cable and aerial cable through the wall.

I assumed it was a stud and plasterboard wall, as it sounds pretty hollow. So drilled a 22mm hole in plasterboard one side, all looks good , measured to meat up and drilled the other only to discover a small gap and brick wall lurking behind plasterboard.

So plan B was borrow a large masonry bit from neighbour and complete the job with that. But now my hole isn't wide enough to pass an ethernet connector through 9let alone my 22mm pipe / conduit I was going to use, so I end up cutting the end off pulling the wire through (along with aerial wire) a re crimping an ethernet RJ45 socket back onto the other end (post youtube tutorial to work out what the feck i am doing!!)

Anyway it all now works. nothing like making it up on the hoof.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
A nice new Sugino chainring for the Centurion, much like the original and straight off the shelf from a specialty mountain bike dealer, I wonder if people will be able to buy new bits for the current stuff when its 46 years old. ( oh hell no! )

F4A504E8-EA0C-44DD-9F22-BD5A27C18BEB.jpeg

967B6C84-63C7-44C9-A494-223BAC4B70AA.jpeg

88D3548B-ABB4-4C7B-AD4A-47834B512EFB.jpeg

C9878071-9C33-4F0A-8AF6-E97DBDC65968.jpeg

And a nice set of 700c-23 Michelins for the Italian rat bike... super low mileage free off the scrap pile at work because somebody saw some weather checking on the edge of the tread. Seriously, has anybody ever had a tire blow up because of a bit of weather cracking? My Triumph motorcycle was 35 years old when I bought it and it still had the original rubber on it. Okay, it only had only 3900 miles on it and had been stored in a hanger for all those years but I put another 12000 miles on them before I sold the bike about ten years later and those tires were still fine.

8B2B404B-F3A6-46D4-8033-B971CE506C63.jpeg

Drzdave58

Über Member
A nice new Sugino chainring for the Centurion, much like the original and straight off the shelf from a specialty mountain bike dealer, I wonder if people will be able to buy new bits for the current stuff when its 46 years old. ( oh hell no! )

View attachment 693479

View attachment 693480

View attachment 693478

View attachment 693477

And a nice set of 700c-23 Michelins for the Italian rat bike... super low mileage free off the scrap pile at work because somebody saw some weather checking on the edge of the tread. Seriously, has anybody ever had a tire blow up because of a bit of weather cracking? My Triumph motorcycle was 35 years old when I bought it and it still had the original rubber on it. Okay, it only had only 3900 miles on it and had been stored in a hanger for all those years but I put another 12000 miles on them before I sold the bike about ten years later and those tires were still fine.

View attachment 693476

Interesting what u say about the weather cracking on the tires. Do you think the tire in this photo is still ok to use? This 65 moulton i just picked up has both tires that have cracking on the sidewalls.

20230606_163554.jpg

Last edited:

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
Interesting what u say about the weather cracking on the tires. Do you think the tire in this photo is still ok to use? This 65 moulton i just picked up has both tires that have cracking on the sidewalls.

You forgot to attach the photo.

I’ve seen people riding around with tires so cracked you could see the layer of cords inside and they didn’t seem to have a problem. I wouldn’t go that far but when you figure there’s multiple layers of “rubber” interlaced with several layers of woven material, a few cracks in the outer layer liking isn’t too bad.

Chislenko

Veteran
Yesterday fitted my new chain and also gave the cassette a cursory tighten up. (For some odd reason on this particular wheel it tends to loosen and clunk)

More importantly binned the carbon swept back seatpost and installed the cheapo aluminium affair.

Adjustment so much easier and an all together more comfortable ride today.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie

View attachment 693550

Now I can see the picture... friggin computers...

I’ve used tires that bad and gotten away with it, but if the tires look like that I would assume the inner tubes are ready to pop.

Top Bottom