What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Reynard - exactly. Once he's got his degree.

Priorities :whistle:

Of course :biggrin:

Gwylan

Veteran
C
Simple summary: My son pinched my pedals. And I'm continuing to upgrade my bike's components.

I've not found anyone (yet) to take my son off my hands, time and money-wise.

Thank you 🙂
Could chuck two in, make it BOGOF+1.

Any consolation, they don't get easier, just more expensive

Chislenko

Veteran
Just ordered a new seat post. Some may see it as a retrograde step going from carbon to alloy but I just can't get on with the adjustment on the swept back type I have so going for a non swept back one like I have on my other bikes.

Also ordered a new chain for the 11 speed and a new bottle of lube (existing bottle nearly empty)

Have set an alert with Merlin for a Bryton out front mount for when they come back into stock. Gradually changing all the bikes from the existing Bryton mount which utilises those rubber rings and are the devil's work to get in a suitable position.

Gunk

Guru
A cheap and cheerful bag to keep the dust off my Brompton, also perfect for when I put it in the boot of my car - only £11

IMG_1504.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Push fit bottom bracket bearing press arrived from Bearing Pro Tools https://www.bearingprotools.com/
The basic press with handles and two washers is £17; there is a cheaper one with nuts, or £25 with the correct drifts for the push fit. Extra drifts are £12 a pair. The thrust bearings and extra washers were £4.

IMG_20230601_110745.jpg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Getting the tandem set up for upcoming tour, pair of mahoosive Ortlieb Pro plus panniers arrived yesterday.

Four mahoosive water bottles and a front light bracket should arrive shortly.

Tour isn't until September, but getting very excited already!

Gunk

Guru
Push fit bottom bracket bearing press arrived from Bearing Pro Tools https://www.bearingprotools.com/
The basic press with handles and two washers is £17; there is a cheaper one with nuts, or £25 with the correct drifts for the push fit. Extra drifts are £12 a pair. The thrust bearings and extra washers were £4.

View attachment 692455

I just made my own with some threaded bar, bolts washers and some old sockets, cost me about £2

Reactions: C R

Mike_P

Guru
I just made my own with some threaded bar, bolts washers and some old sockets, cost me about £2
Suspect a bit more than that buying all new.
It was the availability of the drifts that drew me to them - no doubt if I had made my own and bought the drifts I would have found them to have the wrong diameter hole. And those handles are nice to hold along with the rod having nicely finished end.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Picked up a budget Dura-Ace rear derailleur this morning, plus a few bolts/nuts for the Woodrup to replace rusty ones.

The derailleur will be used on the Ridley Helium build; it'll replace son no. 2's PlanetX hillclimb bike which was a fun project to bring a bike down to 5kg on a budget but is just to extreme/fragile to be confident on. Basically it's got brakes sort of but they only do basic stopping and it's too fragile with a 60kg rider weight limit.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been melting recently in my heavy duty Endura Humvee baggy shorts and the weather hasn't even got that hot yet! Time for some lighter baggies...

I bought a pair of these Alturas. I don't trust companies' sizing for garments like this. According to Altura, with my 91.5 cm/36" waist I should wear L, but I usually wear XL from most brands so I stuck with that. Good job that I did - the baggies arrived today and they just fit me. My advice - SIZE UP! And if you buy from Altura direct, sign up for their newsletter for a 10% discount on your order.

I wore the shorts for a 1 hour test ride this evening and they felt much more comfortable in the warm conditions. They come with liner shorts with a minimalist pad. On my short ride that pad felt pretty comfy but I will see what I think after a 100 km ride! (I'll report back on that afterwards.)

I would recommend that you use a belt with the shorts. The fastening stud doesn't look like it would last long if it had to keep the shorts closed and up!

Top Bottom