What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
That's always the issue with upgrades @Jameshow - although an Edco cassette allows you to fit 11 speed cassettes onto a 10 speed hub. They're pricey though.

Worth noting a Shimano 105 R7000 11-34 cassette will fit a 10 speed hub
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/shimano105-r7000/CS-HG700-11.html

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Well the Ridley Helium X frameset arrived today and has been painted on both sides of the seat tube, a seat stay and the top tube with some sort of black paint. It'd have been nice of the seller to have mentioned that :cursing: . They mentioned it had "just a few little marks", which it does, but not that it'd been hand-painted in several places.

However, I'm slowly cleaning that off to see why they painted it - which seems to have been over a series of scratches.

PXL_20230516_152508352.jpg

I'll clean it up and probably get some new decals to stick over the top, then laquer. About 30 minutes ago the whole section below was just black paint:

PXL_20230516_152526014.jpg

Jameshow

Veteran
Well the Ridley Helium X frameset arrived today and has been painted on both sides of the seat tube, a seat stay and the top tube with some sort of black paint. It'd have been nice of the seller to have mentioned that :cursing: . They mentioned it had "just a few little marks", which it does, but not that it'd been hand-painted in several places.

However, I'm slowly cleaning that off to see why they painted it - which seems to have been over a series of scratches.

View attachment 689922

I'll clean it up and probably get some new decals to stick over the top, then laquer. About 30 minutes ago the whole section below was just black paint:

View attachment 689923

Just put it out side for the bin men....
Pm me your address first!🤣🤣🤣

I bought a focus izalco frame which had tubeless sealant up the downtube!😢😢😢

DCLane

Just put it out side for the bin men....
Pm me your address first!🤣🤣🤣

I bought a focus izalco frame which had tubeless sealant up the downtube!😢😢😢

Sorry, it's been sorted. Baby wipes got nowhere, as did SWMBO's nail polish remover. White spirit did the trick. And for @Gwylan 's benefit - done on the coffee table in the lounge. SWMBO's away for the night, but I was doing it there anyway :tongue:

PXL_20230516_174942676.jpg

All the black paint's been removed and the whole frameset cleaned up. Some paint marks will need touching up, but otherwise it's OK to build on.

Just why someone painted it I've no clue, apart from a few small marks on the frame - but less than weren't painted over. I'm guessing it belonged to a racing teenager who thought it'd be 'cool' to do so.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sorry, it's been sorted. Baby wipes got nowhere, as did SWMBO's nail polish remover. White spirit did the trick. And for @Gwylan 's benefit - done on the coffee table in the lounge. SWMBO's away for the night, but I was doing it there anyway :tongue:

View attachment 689944

All the black paint's been removed and the whole frameset cleaned up. Some paint marks will need touching up, but otherwise it's OK to build on.

Just why someone painted it I've no clue, apart from a few small marks on the frame - but less than weren't painted over. I'm guessing it belonged to a racing teenager who thought it'd be 'cool' to do so.

Glad it's worked out - nothing a bit of elbow grease can't sort (and chemicals). Both the used bikes I bought - BMC Fourstroke and the Colnago CX both just needed a damn good polish/t-cut to get rid of micro scratches that were filled with dirt and oil.

Gunk

Guru

View attachment 689944

Like your style, this was me restoring a Fireblade on the kitchen table whilst the steering committee was away

IMG-0874.jpg

Gunk

Guru
Urban Tiger, this was it finished.

IMG-0856.jpg

Gwylan

Veteran

View attachment 689944

I feel quite faint!

But I do have a workshop and an outdoor work Bench.

Jameshow

Veteran

View attachment 689944

I'm joking I have too many bikes!!!

DCLane

The Exalith pads on the Thompson Capella are at least six years old, so I've picked up a replacement set.

Also, I picked up a test pair of bib shorts from Shutt, whose team I race for.

A couple of Vel carbon bottle cages plus a set of Vel tubes and a pair of plastic pedals to make up the free delivery limit - picked up via the Bargains thread.

That'll do for Friday night spending ...

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Hello friends. its been a very long time since I last posted/visited. Been on hiatus dealing with mental health but im back lurking and will hopefully make it out for a ride or two with the CC crew!

While on Hiatus the bike has been a constant money pit. All sorts of headaches with a wheel hub grenading after an LBS rebuild that saw it out of action for 3-4 months as they couldnt get a freehub for it on one bike and wheels and drive train completely beaten to death on the other bike

Cube got a small overhaul. Other than the shifters, F&R derailleur and the cranks. Almost everything was over hauled - new cable inners/outers, cassette, chainrings, bar tape - even the jockey wheels were replaced - stripped and rebuilt with new parts for the first time since the bike was purchased in 2016.

old wheelset built by spokedwheels was also replaced with a set of HUNT Super Dura's earlier in the year (or last year. I forgot when. Cracks in the rim were discovered) but the rear hub ended up being a little draggy due to lack of lubrication from factory - LBS sorted it out at no extra cost when I took the bike back to deal with stretched cables after the overhaul.

Also a small present to myself that will hopefully boost my recovery further as I'll be able to pretend I'm Chris Boardman...

New hoops:
s5mceubR25VBcwsVPpw410=w1747-h1307-s-no?authuser=1.jpg

0khE0itnBBT3vdt9Gq8Ijs=w1747-h1307-s-no?authuser=1.jpg

Ordered over a month ago but they just arrived yesterday (typical China post and it didnt help that 9velo needed a two week lead time) and I've been working on getting things switched over between other duties. 55mm carbon for £530 inc shipping. Had the price been any higher I wouldnt have bothered. Cheapest wheelset in the 9velo range so came with Sapim Race spokes instead of the bladed CX-Xray spokes that would have spiked the price up to £800 (with shipping)

4 years warranty. If it makes it past the 4 years and they are in reasonably good condition I'll have them rebuilt with CX-Xray spokes.

First ride will be later this afternoon. My first ever carbon wheelset so Im excited to see how it compares to my HUNT alloy set.

::EDIT::

Ride complete! pretty fast and effortless on the flats and small inclines but definitely not as punchy accelerating from a stop. Must be the extra rotating mass.

I've been told some horror stories about braking on rim brake carbon wheels but stopping power seems as good as the HUNT wheelset in the dry. Im sure it would be pretty hairy in the wet since braking surface isnt textured. I know I have to be careful going down hills and avoid cooking the braking surface

Oh... and the rear hub is like turning the TV on mute compared to HUNT hubs. absolute bliss. I do miss sounding like a swam of angry bees when freewheeling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom