What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Had a little accident during the week and snapped the front brifter....what a pain in the arris replacing it..all internal cableing...done now and could probably do it in half the time if needed again...hopefully not

Ian193

Über Member
Had a little accident during the week and snapped the front brifter....what a pain in the arris replacing it..all internal cableing...done now and could probably do it in half the time if needed again...hopefully not

I did a similar thing last October mine was the right hand one cost £100 to put it right

Heigue'r

Veteran
I did a similar thing last October mine was the right hand one cost £100 to put it right

Yep....same here
20170719_184258.jpg

Venod

Eh up
The back tyre on the cross bike (Vittoria XN pro) was looking a little worn compared to the front so decided to swap them round, these are not tubeless tyres but I have been running them tubeless for about a year.
I didn't have any problems fitting them with a track pump when new but I could I get them to seat second time asking, could I bollox, so I made one of these.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/how-to-make-a-tubeless-inflator-44290/

Boom :eek:on first time of using.

There was a thorn stuck in the rear but it had sealed and both front and rear had clumps of hard sealant in other places where it had done its job and plugged holes.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
was sunny outside so I gave the triban a good clean after yesterdays wet commute. Completed it just before the skies started clouding over and the heavens opened up.

front caliper 'balanced' and brake pads need re-alignment but I'll leave that till Ive had my cuppa.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I built my singlespeed bike last year I somehow managed to get the right-hand brake lever significantly too low on the handlebar(s?). It had been bothering me for some time but I couldn't be bothered to redo the double-layered bar tape so I left it. A photograph taken by @Buck on yesterday's Humber Bridge ride convinced me that it was time to sort it out so I did that this afternoon.

img_4176-jpg.jpg

I raised the RH lever to line up with the LH lever which was in the position that I like, where the top of the hood forms a flat area with the top of the bars.

You can also see that the front brake cable is a bit short. (The bike was largely built from old spare parts and the spare brake cable came off a smaller bike.) I didn't have a longer cable to replace it today but moving the lever up the bars slackened the cable slightly. I slackened it a bit more by routeing it off the bars a bit closer to the lever. I then retaped the bars on that side. (A mate called in and he reckons that I should have taped from the end of the bars in, rather than the way I did - from the centre outwards. Something to do with the way hands tend to move bar-tape when riding on the tops.)

@ColinJ, crikey, it's going to feel odd riding it now that you got used to that crooked setup.

I always warp from bar ends to top, that way you never run out of bar tape before reaching the end of the bar! As for the tape moving, that won't happen if you do it consistently tight enough.

I started fitting my new 5800 Groupset last night, as I decided to take the plunge and migrate from stock components on my 2014 Defy 1 (10 speed, 105). The 5800 stuff looks real nice. Can't believe it's £200 less than Ultegra. A £200 premium to save >300g? Sod that! The old chainrings, cassette, chain and bottom bracket needed replacing, so I figured I'd just upgrade to 11 speed and do a complete overhaul of the bike while I was at it because there's a few annoying creaks developing too. I was half tempted to order a new brooks cambium saddle but got a serious case of sticker shock, how much for a saddle?!

Last night I got to work stripping down the bike, cleaning and polishing the frame. When the cranks are off it's a great opportunity to clean all those nooks and crannies that you can't normally get to. I stripped the headset down and re-greased all the bearings. Had to pop out to B&Q to get hold of some adjustable spanners to fit the new press fit BB, greasing the hell out of it to avoid any creaking. I'm sure the BB was the source of my creaking woes. Fingers crossed!

I also fitted the new ST levers and cranks. I couldn't go any further without the rear wheel in situ. Since I don't have another 10 speed bike that will take these wheels I am going to swap out the Tiagra rear hub for the new FH-5800 which is 11 speed compatible. Fingers crossed I can reuse the same spokes in the build, otherwise that is another £20 + p+p for new spokes to talk the wife into letting me order. When eyeballing it, the flanges look a similar diameter. This will be my 7th wheel build, so hopefully I can have it done in an under an hour and get on and finish the build today. Sadly, the paint work on the frame is a bit battered, but I don't think it's worth the hassle of a respray, otherwise the bike should look and run as good as new.

:hyper::bicycle::dance:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ, crikey, it's going to feel odd riding it now that you got used to that crooked setup.

I always warp from bar ends to top, that way you never run out of bar tape before reaching the end of the bar! As for the tape moving, that won't happen if you do it consistently tight enough.
It felt odd riding it like that so I am hoping that it STOPS feeling odd now!

You are right about running out of tape wrapping the way that I did. I had to have a second go to make it reach!

I forgot to mention that I also moved the saddle forwards about 6 or 7 mm. I got a slight saddle sore on Saturday's 116 mile ride. I have the same type of saddle on all of my bikes now so I know that I can be comfortable, but I felt on the ride that I was sitting slightly forwards of the widest part of the saddle, which is where I like to perch.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Worked on my son's single speed MTB conversion that's been sat in bits for far too long. Almost done; full details when finished.

Then set to work on a bike that I saw advertised on Saturday for a fiver. Yes, £5. The bike's a 21 speed Dawes Tekarra that'll be fitted with spike tyres for the winter and have no other purpose. Everything works but the gear cables have been stretched around the front mudguard, meaning they won't shift properly. They're rusty so will be changed. Also the tyres are cracked, which isn't an issue as they're getting swapped.

How it looked on purchase:
full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1500987945.jpg

A bit better:

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1500987945.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom