What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dark46

Veteran
Today well it started yesterday with doing bar tape for the first time. Then today I changed my mavic Askium wheels for Fulcrum Racing 5's . Again for the first time swapping the discs over and the cassette, adjusting the gears . After I put the Fulcrums on I didn't have the full range of gears. So started from the beginning. Then did 10 mile check rid me and everything went 100% so really chuffed.

Attachments

• PS Messages 2020_03_13 pm 02_38_22.jpg
    PS Messages 2020_03_13 pm 02_38_22.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200728_201457.jpg
    20200728_201457.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200729_154305.jpg
    20200729_154305.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200729_175600.jpg
    20200729_175600.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 3

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A small one this; over the weekend I bid and won the auction for a Dura-Ace shifter that had been painted. It was cheap as a result:

Arrived today and someone had painted it matt black at one point. And then tried to sand off the paint, scratching the shifter in a couple of places with a lot of paint still on.

So ... cue careful removal over lunch of the matt black paint, plus polishing of the scratches. After cleaning the result is a nice, clean shifter which just needs a new brake hood.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
An afternoon off today so I swapped over the tyres on my Raleigh Ti Rep

The original 7 year old Challenge tubular were badly cracked and pretty hopeless if you get a puncture.

So after a lot of deliberation I bought a set of these, the most expensive tyres I've ever bought at £96 a pair :ohmy:

It was the right decision as they look very similar to the originals but take a traditional tube. I think they look stunning!

I've kept the originals for safe keeping, together with the original Concor leather saddle, pedals, toeclips and white bar tape so it can all be put back to standard if ever I decide to sell it.

Last edited:

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
It's possible some old-school riders will cry seeing what I've done to a working gripshift, but first, drill, dremel and hand-files all came out yesterday for fettling the left handlebar end on my recumbent e-trike; electrical cabling for the crank drive's throttle and the bar-end "kill switch" now run down through the Al tube to an exit in a hole half-way up the internal fixing of the (now redundant) twist grip.

01 Handlebar holes 705.jpg

The old grip shift's internal spring was removed (its rotation is now limited by an M3 bolt inserted and epoxied into the internal guide), a path for the 6mm cable drilled through from the elbow, the internal bore of the plastic adjuster nut drilled out too, and now the multi-core cable can run out in the same route as the original gear cable.

04 Left Hand cable route 705.jpg

05 Left Hand cable route covered 705.jpg

A SPST latchable on/off switch was epoxied into an offcut of 22mm tubing, then inserted into the bar end. That'll work as the "kill switch" for the Togsheng motor, should something go wrong :eek:

The rubber grips needed trimming to take acount of the curve, but the end result has everything at fingertip reach - brake, throttle and kill switch.
02 Left hand eTrike bar completed 705.jpg

03 Left Hand positioning 705.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Just changed my tubeless rear wheel . The old one was being to show wear after 7000 miles . Having never changed a tubeless before was slightly worried I wouldn't get it to seat . I haven't been unhappy with the stock gavia tyres that came with the bike so replaced like for like as I now the tyre rim combo were designed together and works . Did have to use a co2 canister to blow it on the rim but the job went smoothly and it's holding air

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
How to salvage a Raleigh fork with a longish steerer that has 26tpi threading but was mistakenly cut for a 26.4mm crown race NOT BY ME (thus requiring a frankenheadset).

1. Cut off old threads.

2. Get the fork die and cutting oil and re-thread to ISO.

3. Test for smoothness and perpendicularity with fussy alloy threaded race.

It's still long enough for a 21 1/2" frame. Came off a 23".

Here's the fork and the old 26tpi threaded bit. See the difference? It's quite hard.

Attachments

• 20200802_191634.jpg
    20200802_191634.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2

DCLane

The Wilier's off the road until I repair an Ultegra shifter, with a second breaking yesterday. So, out comes the Ridgeback Platinum audax bike - unused for over a year since a 600km last June - which got a deep clean and removal of audax-related paraphenalia.

My son's Argon TT bike had issues on Saturday's TT. First the brakes kept catching on the wheel, then he got a flat. Not a good day for him.

Old tub off, new one to be stretched.

Then we set to on his TRP brakes. The E-116 Argon has known issues with these brakes and we'd not looked at them. Cue 3 of us (him, his engineering-student brother and me) working out how to dismantle, clean, re-grease and put them back together. Argon helpfully supplied a detailed manual but it was still complicated.

They're cleaner and now move but we still need to renew front and rear brake cables with new adjusters that have been ordered.

The deadline is Saturday for another TT so cables are scheduled for tomorrow evening.

Last edited:

DCLane

Cleaned my Ridgeback Platinum and son's BeOne after our ride today.

Then set to work on his Argon TT bike's wierd brakes (TRP brakes on an E-116). With him we dismantled and re-cabled the front, tidying the bodge of previous installation. After a break began work on the back, which is more problematic: the outer cable is fed through the frame in several places, coupled to an adjuster then a v-brake connector. No wonder they're deemed troublesome :blink:

Still waiting on the adjusters to arrive so the front's almost complete and the rear will take a bit more time. We'll finish this job tomorrow hopefully ...

Top Bottom