What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
greased rear wheel bearings on the commuter as it was very noisy, no grease at all on the non drive side!

I wouldn't buy a secondhand car from you! :laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There is such a thing as routine maintenance you know, where you strip down things like wheel bearings, BB's and headsets and reload them with fresh lubricant. You don't have to wait until they start making a noise before doing them!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
There is such a thing as routine maintenance you know, where you strip down things like wheel bearings, BB's and headsets and reload them with fresh lubricant. You don't have to wait until they start making a noise before doing them!
less than 6 months old , i do routine maintenance you dont have to be condescending

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Looked at this Daytona which I collected on Wednesday. Cleaned all the dust / dirt / cobwebs off and checked it over. Seatpost and everything else moves although two chain links are stuck.

I'm guessing it's not been used in a long time, and although I can't confirm a date there's an '86' sticker on it.

Lots of light surface rust on wheels / components but nothing seems major. Being advertised before I break for parts.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Started working on the Raleigh I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Frame cleaned with autosol to remove 40+ years of grime and wheels out. Front wheel re-greased as best I could as it's a dynamo and the rear's cleaned with the internals soaking - gear oil in later.

I'm not sure it's been cleaned since some sort of modifications with shopper shifters / saddle / chain protector. The bike's not moved in 14 years at least and I was told it could have been 30 years since last used.

Should be ready for PBP 23

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It'll not be doing PBP - we've got a special bike build planned for that :okay:

A tandem?

JPBoothy

Veteran
View attachment 560451
View attachment 560452

View attachment 560453

Stripped front hub as it was a bit naff. Brake pads out ready for new ones tomorrow and this weekend a new Shimano BB coming
I had the rear ones from my exact same bike stripped out last week for the 2nd time after a horrible grinding/cracking noise began. Fortunately I seem to have adjusted it correctly this time as it stayed quiet after a good ride out yesterday. I'm not sure how long it will last though as the cup on one side is a bit pitted.. However, todays fettle has been a disaster as my ham fisted attempt to remove my crank arms to get to my BB resulted in me stripping the threads on both sides. I was being so careful to not cross thread the pulling tool that I failed to noticed that the crank arm wasn't moving and I foolishly kept on forcing the spanner around. What an idiot I feel now :shy:..

Any suggestions on what I should do now would be much appreciated. How can I get the 'knackered' arms off short of an Angle Grinder?

I had the rear ones from my exact same bike stripped out last week for the 2nd time after a horrible grinding/cracking noise began. Fortunately I seem to have adjusted it correctly this time as it stayed quiet after a good ride out yesterday. I'm not sure how long it will last though as the cup on one side is a bit pitted.. However, todays fettle has been a disaster as my ham fisted attempt to remove my crank arms to get to my BB resulted in me stripping the threads on both sides. I was being so careful to not cross thread the pulling tool that I failed to noticed that the crank arm wasn't moving and I foolishly kept on forcing the spanner around. What an idiot I feel now :shy:..

Any suggestions on what I should do now would be much appreciated. How can I get the 'knackered' arms off short of an Angle Grinder?
Oops:rolleyes:.... My front was a bit naff but the rear rolls quiet and nice. BB is fine, no play, rolls good and quiet but I just fancied changing it and doing more maintenance whilst home so started on the SS.
No advice on crank arms but plenty of guys/gals on here with loads of experience that no doubt will be along to help. Let me know how you resolve it and I can do same this weekend :laugh::laugh:
If all the threads stripped then the crank arm is ruined I guess so destructive removal is an option. I have read that riding the bike uphill under pressure with crank arm bolts loose results in loosening of the tapers but no idea if that works, sure you will get plenty of help today on here :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom