What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I swapped the Chorus 9 speed cassette over to my spare Turbo wheel today, I can't believe the difference in weight between a Campag Eurus with a GP4000 tyre and a Mavic CXP Elite with a cheap Turbo tyre (both weighed minus the cassette)

Spare wheel slotted in a treat, just a tiny tweak was needed on the barrel adjuster, I'm now just waiting for a used Chorus 9 speed to turn up to put on the Eurus wheel (first one got lost in the post!)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Attempted to take BB out of the commuter but its in solid so its off to the LBS, tried full body weight big spanner and a hammer and its not budging so let the feck about with it.
Put a new chain on and goign to do the braked pads and tubes later

Attempted to take BB out of the commuter but its in solid so its off to the LBS, tried full body weight big spanner and a hammer and its not budging so let the feck about with it.
Put a new chain on and goign to do the braked pads and tubes later
Does the BB squeak by any chance? The one in my Boardman was fine but was over tightened, took two lads strength to get it to release, once it was free it was greased and put back into correct torque then it was happy days.

cyberknight

Does the BB squeak by any chance? The one in my Boardman was fine but was over tightened, took two lads strength to get it to release, once it was free it was greased and put back into correct torque then it was happy days.
nope
its been fine just worn quickly 6 moths or so of commuting, probably cheap stuff originally so it has some play already , i can normally do these but its so tight i cant budge it so im letting them play with it ,
I have noticed with htese sort of BB i can get squeaking and i found if i greae the inside of the non drive side cup it helps

Upgraded the main PC and the TV streaming PC to 802.11ac wireless, to go with the newly upgraded 71 Mbps fibre connection. Which costs £2 a month less than the 39Mbps it replaced.
First, tried two cheapy AC dongles for under £11 the pair. Useless. A couple of days later, on Amazon, saw someone had some TP-Link Archer T2U Nano adaptors at £8.99 each, around half price. Faltless install, upgrade drivers from supplied CD, full ac connections up and running.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A non starter of a fettle today.

I ordered & received a front chainring from Superstar Components last week so that I can try my Pickenflick flatbar with a 1x setup instead of the double currently fitted. It was only when I went to fit it this morning that I thought it looked a bit small - they'd sent a 40 tooth ring, not the 46 I'd ordered & paid extra for. Still, at least I had an excuse for a ride to post it back for replacement.
I've received the replacement chainring, but stil not got round to fitting it to the Pickenflick.

However, I did order a second ring (44 tooth) and this was fitted to my Giant Rapid 1 flatbar yesterday. I was going to run it with the front derailleur still fitted for a while just in case the gearing was all wrong and wanted to change it back, but after a couple of test rides I've now removed it and the shifter. Running a 44t front & 12-28 ten speed cassette instead of the 48/36 double with the 12-28, effectively means the only gears I've lost are the 48-12, 36-25 & 36-28 combinations which won't be missed as it's fairly flat around here.

Gunk

Guru
Upgraded the main PC and the TV streaming PC to 802.11ac wireless, to go with the newly upgraded 71 Mbps fibre connection. Which costs £2 a month less than the 39Mbps it replaced.
First, tried two cheapy AC dongles for under £11 the pair. Useless. A couple of days later, on Amazon, saw someone had some TP-Link Archer T2U Nano adaptors at £8.99 each, around half price. Faltless install, upgrade drivers from supplied CD, full ac connections up and running.

absolutely no idea what you’re talking about, but sounds very impressive 😂

cyberknight

whilst adjusting the brakes i noticed the rear wheel has a lot of play in the cones, i dont have the right size for these wheels so its another job i will ask them to do and ask what size cone spanner to buy for next time

absolutely no idea what you’re talking about, but sounds very impressive 😂

Glad I'm not the only one...

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Been a busy day today. First a walk with @gavgav (making the most of it while the rules still allow) then afterwards I did some fettling on a friends bike. I helped deliver it to her a few days ago from where it had been stored and found the chain rusty, the gears skipping, the front brake lever came back to the bar and the back tyre was perished.

It's an electric bike with a rear hub motor and hub brake so the worst bit was getting the wheel off and on again. Everything else went pretty well. The old tyre turned out to be even worse than I thought and was actually coming apart at the bead - you can see daylight through it.:ohmy:. New tyre, new chain, new freewheel, set up the gears and the front brake is nicely adjusted now too.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm about to fettle my Brompton. I think I'll have the ideal gearing if I remove the 34T chainring, fit a 44 instead, and leave the 50T.
The 34T gave me gears of 22" 27" 34" 42" 54" and 66". whereas the 44T will be 28" 35" 44" 54" 69" and 85", which would work nicely for touring. For general use I'll still have the 50T for 32" 40" 50" 62" 79" and 97", which was the default range for the M6R.
I did try the 44T a while back, as a single-ring, but my most commonly used gears when unladen were 54" and 69", a double shift.
I've spent way too long thinking about this...

Last edited:
Minor thing but I fixed the annoying intermittant slow puncture today that has been bugging me for a couple of months
Basically the tyre would be flat in the morning - pump it up and it stays up for a few weeks - no loss of pressure - then suddenly goes flat again
which can happen if you have goo in the tubes

anyway - took it out this morning and removed the rear wheel - tube showing no sign of any leaks - even in the sink (wife was still asleep - didn't have to use the bucket!
so checked the tyre - no sign of anything on the outside - ran my fingers round the inside - was about to give up when something sliced into my finger
Looked - slight sign of something - which disintegrated when I tried to get it out with pliers
Turned out to be a piece of green glass that was totally embedded in the rubber and razor sharp - finally managed to force some thin tweezers through the slight slit in the thread and push it out - and find the place where the goo had sealed the hole it had made
The damn thing must have been there for ages and occasionally it got pushed into the tyre - at which point the goo sealed it - but if that happened as I was putting it away and the hole was at the top then the goo flowed to the bottom and didn't work

Maybe - it is a theory - but at least the tube is now sealed properly

Top Bottom