What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, the reverse, if anything. They are not common in that thin a size. Plenty of models on Ebay, but that size is nearly always'Sold out'. Agreed about the pair of 13mm spanners. Not the most convenient of things.

Ah, that's a bummer. :sad: The current parts shortage is a right arse, isn't it?

JhnBssll

Veteran
I took a mates bike in to sort out over the weekend. He recently swapped his Cannondale Synapse with full ultegra for a new Trek Marlin ebike conversion. Clearly they're quite different bikes, but he commutes almost daily by bike in all weather and he wanted something that was going to help him home. Anyway, this thing is fairly nicely put together with a Bafang mid drive motor but it had come loose. On examination it seems the unit is designed to fit a narrower BB shell so they've used 10mm spacers to increase the mounting width. Unfortunately this means the threaded section of BB is now too short to fit both the tightening ring and lockring, so the lockring had been glued on :wacko: I've stripped it, cleaned it and reassembled the tightening ring with permanent thread lock before gluing the lockring back on over the top, no other options I could think of. Since its not under torsional load it should prevent it loosening again, if not It's at least bought me some time to think of a better fix.

I've had another friend's son's bike in the garage for a week awaiting new bartape so I wound that on this afternoon as well. Hopefully both bikes will be collected at some point tomorrow so I can move in the garage again :laugh:

Finally got around to converting my Kinesis Ti over to tubeless.

I’ve been running my winter CAADX tubeless over the winter and have enjoyed the additional comfort of running lower pressures.

The Schwalbe Pro TLEs were trickier to get seated on the Pacenti Forza rims than the Specialized Roubaix tyres on the CAADX had been with the same rims.

In fact, I had to inflate with an inner tube first to get one of the beads seated before inflating successfully tubeless.

This involved forcing a new tyre over a rim a total of five times altogether, which now means I can use the tips of both thumbs to illuminate darkened alleyways. :crazy:

12boy

Guru
I bought a Holdsworth Special, full Campy with a Cinelli stem a few years. Worked ok but I have always wanted a British 3 speed so I set one up with taped and twined moustache bars a Nitto stem and an SA bar end shifter. The Campy levers were disappointing so they were replaced with some Dia Compes with the little pivoting brake release. Those plus the Campy QR on the brake means I can pull 35 mm tires on and off without deflating the tire. I used the stop part off a v-brake shift noodle to allow me to tape a bit of cable housing permanently under the tape. This cable housing only runs as far as the bar tape, so I could go back to the down tubeshifters without removing the tape and twining. The Dia Compe levers work much better than the Campys although they don't look as nice.
This bike had downtube shifters so I replaced them with a clamp on single cable stop which was soaked in Coke for a day to kill the rust, This bike has the derailleur cable runs on top of the BB instead of below which should keep the cable cleaner.
For some reason, I like the old style seat posts withe the clamp on steel saddle clamp so that is there as well.
It was not possible to get a good chainline with the Nuevo Record crankarms but a new Shimano BB and a 110 BCD Sakae crankarm works fine. I ordered some new short chainring bolts which are nice.
Functionally this fine, but I would still like to find some touch up paint and polish some of the Al bits.

Attachments

• PXL_20210502_172846967.jpg
    PXL_20210502_172846967.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20210502_172913939.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210502_172913939.MP.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20210502_172906489.jpg
    PXL_20210502_172906489.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 5

JhnBssll

Veteran
The ebike was collected yesterday morning. Unfortunately it came back yesterday evening :sad: When he called I was initially worried that there was something amiss with my handiwork but turns out his son had crashed it after a few beers :wacko: the front wheel was so buckled the tyre rubbed on both fork legs :surrender: I had a good look over the rim and couldn't see any cracks or dents so decided it was worth at least trying to rescue it. I stripped the wheel down and found a few blocks of wood to fashion a jig in the vice then slowly and carefully went about reshaping the rim. Once the main bends were improved I laced it up again and went about trying to true it. I was quite pleased with the outcome - it was by no means straight but I managed to get the wobble down to a couple of mm with relatively even spoke tensions. Popped the tyre back on and went for a test ride, all seemed good so dropped the bike back with its owner. I hope not to see it again for a while :laugh:

CXRAndy

Guru
Prepped my new carbon built wheels for tubeless and fitted tyres.

20210503_175129.jpg

Got in from my 🌨 ride today and once I had went in a warm shower and subsequently had lunch, I turned my eye to the bike. Over the course of the 60miles ride the rear tubeless tyre had delaminated.
IMG_20210503_172213_536.jpg

I suppose 7-8000miles and no p'tures was an ok lifespan. But I replaced it tonight.

20210503_211933.jpg

The Logo doesn't line up with the valve :thumbsdown: but hey ho :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Things most people use while maintaining their bike:

Screwdrivers, hex keys, tyre levers and the occasional large hammer.

Things I ended up using to maintain my bike:

2020_05_04_04.jpg

4 metre long belt sanders.

The Deck on the Xtracycle was looking a bit faded after about six years use, and was mostly a uniform dark brown. As I'd carefully made it from several different woods to make a nice striped effect, this was not ideal, so yesterday I gave it a bit of a going over at work to get past the sun bleached layer and find the original colours, then oiled it generously and left it to dry over night, which meant some improvisation to get my bag and a load of kindling back to the apartment, and gave it a strange appearance this morning:

2020_05_05_01.jpg

I gave it another coat of oil this morning, then screwed the cross pieces back on over lunch, and dropped it back onto the frame before the evening commute:

2020_05_05_02.jpg

Beautiful Daughter will be pleased as well, as I've rounded off the edges better to make it more comfortable...

Last edited:
Want to ride the Scott again, so in a minute, when the rain stops, I'll go and adjust the front mech to give me just the two smaller chainrings. I never, or very rarely, use the 52t anyhow, so it's time to stop trying to make it work and just have an easy life...
:biggrin:
Edit: I'll fit the newer lightweight rings while I'm at it, so it will end up 39-30 to 12-36. No speed machine, but great for the hills.

Top Bottom