What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Finally got around to replacing the front mudguard lost last may.

Also and more pressingly swapped 3 sets of pads on two bikes eeeeekk. It'd been that long since I'd used the rear on one of them the rotor was rusting. Eeek.

One my commuter I've been needing to replace the crank rings for about 12 months. I slapped a new chain on it about 4 months ago as a put you on. It's only had a mickle since really. Really bad of me but I've been out of love with cycling and have a new born in the house. Had noticed that the chain was noisy and skating a lot. Noticed when fettling the brakes that the rollers are really loose and appear really worn. Never seen anything like it.

Really really really need to get around to putting on new crankset or chain ring.

Anyone got any 4 arm 48t chainrings they're getting rid of?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Shiny new KMC 8 Speed Chain fitted together with new rear mech inner and outer cable. Brake cables to sort next, new bar tape and some long mudguards to fit. Just waiting for my mudflaps to arrive from RAW.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll do that when they arrive. Currently it's only the processor fan, the two on the dual graphics card and a small case fan. We're about to go to fan armageddon ... :okay:

Blimey, no wonder !! Daughter's has three big exhaust fans, and one inlet fan, excluding the CPU, graphics and power supply fans !

Son's has 2 exhaust, three inlet, and a watercooler, which basically removes all the heat from the CPU outside.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@DCLane , what are the specs of the machine?

It's an AMD FX-8350 processor with 16GB of RAM plus 3 x hard drives (2 x 1TB and 1 x 2TB), linked to an external hard drive.

There's also an NVIDEA GeForce GT740 graphics card, plus a wi-fi/bluetooth card and CD/DVD drive plus USB/sound ports.

It's certainly running a lot cooler with the case side off, so I'll see what adding a pile of case fans will do.

My challenge is that if I swap cases or do anything major with this I don't have the time currently, as I'm about to go into the busiest 4 weeks of my annual calendar. Once into mid-February a case / heatsink fan swap's more feasible.

fossyant

It's an AMD FX-8350 processor with 16GB of RAM plus 3 x hard drives (2 x 1TB and 1 x 2TB), linked to an external hard drive.

There's also an NVIDEA GeForce GT740 graphics card, plus a wi-fi/bluetooth card and CD/DVD drive plus USB/sound ports.

It's certainly running a lot cooler with the case side off, so I'll see what adding a pile of case fans will do.

My challenge is that if I swap cases or do anything major with this I don't have the time currently, as I'm about to go into the busiest 4 weeks of my annual calendar. Once into mid-February a case / heatsink fan swap's more feasible.

Definitely more air flow needed - your poor PC is doing a Zwift Session without a fan or two ! :sad:

Definitely more air flow needed - your poor PC is doing a Zwift Session without a fan or two ! :sad:
Exactly so, huge amounts of cooling needed. No idea if it is still true, but one of the major downsides of AMD processors in the past was that they always ran much hotter than Intel chips. Probably no longer so, but I've stuck with Intel nonetheless...
Buy really good fans, they're worth it.

fossyant

Exactly so, huge amounts of cooling needed. No idea if it is still true, but one of the major downsides of AMD processors in the past was that they always ran much hotter than Intel chips. Probably no longer so, but I've stuck with Intel nonetheless...
Buy really good fans, they're worth it.

Used to be the case, think they are fairly similar now. Air flow also protects the other components. Daughter has a big 'flower' thpe CPU cooer, and son as a cooler maser water pump - my word they shift some heat. Daughters Ryzen5 is newer than my son's I7, but he's got an RTX 2070, and daughter, his old GTX970 (she doesn't play sims like he does). Both machines are room temp inside the case.

On a cycling note, the 19T sprocket was definately worn and causing the chain to grumble - could only be felt on the turbo. Changed the sprocket and all quiet.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Tidied the Claud Butler I had for sale and sold this morning to a nice buyer, who collects vintage bikes. And was taller than me.

Then set to work on my PC to fit LOTS of new fans, and cleaned out the case in the process. Whilst it currently sounds like a plane's about to take off, it's now running 35 degrees cooler :becool:

Also, son no. 2's new Ridley Noah Fast had the final touches, apart from one jockey wheel which I'll do when the wheels are next out. If he doesn't get decent results with his first 'new' race bike since 2014 there'll be words ... :whistle:

Last edited:
I sent my old dura ace crank that failed off to get replaced today so I stuck an older Ultegra crank in temporarily. The Ultegra is a 10sp 50/34 and the Dura Ace was an 11sp 52/34. The internal chain width is supposed to be the same regardless of speed and its only supposed to be the external width of the 11sp chain that's different. The front mech probably needs adjusted but its running quite smooth and I stay in the big ring 99.9% of the time round here, so for a temporary bodge its hopefully ok.

Typically, I wore out my pedals over Christmas too so there a new set of them fitted. I hope the tension adjusters are set fairly neutral 🙄 I will probably loosen the left one (the foot I unclip 1st) after tea just to be safe.

She is built up. The rear mech was easy enough to index but the front mech was totally out of line and high/low limits were completely off. Had to faff round for a few hours to get it set up nicely with no grating. Just needs mudguards and pedals and then I can set up the position.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 9

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A bit of drivetrain swapping today.

The cheap SRAM Apex chainset I won on Ebay turned up on Thusday and it was in really good condition with hardly any wear on the chainrings, so the high mileage unit (also SRAM) on the Van Nicholas commuter was removed along with the bottom bracket. A new BB and the new chainset were fitted, along with some new rear brake pads and jockey wheels for the rear derailleur.

The chainrings were then removed from the old crankarm and put aside for future spares use. The FSA chainset & BB were then removed from the Giant flatbar and the 44T single ring from this was transplanted onto the old SRAM crankarm and the whole unit fitted to the Giant along with the old BB. For good measure a new cassette & chain were also added as the old ones were very badly worn.

Top Bottom