What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is taking the definition of "fettled" to extremes, I realise but still...

We have a bicycle wheel infestation at work with upwards of seventy wheels of all shapes, sizes and states of repair piled up in the corner of the store. Looking for one for a bike or customer has until now meant clambering over the foothills while holding onto something to avoid falling over.

This clearly will not do so this week I set to with the intention of "dismantling" any that were not immediately usable, and hopefully finding a place to hang the rest. I'd lay a wheel flat on a fairly solid box, cut all the spokes, and drop them into the box under the wheel dropping the hub in a basket for later, empty the wheel of leftover spoke bits, and dump them on a pile to be sold for scrap.

Of course this isn't as neat and tidy as it sounds; spokes have a habit of pinging out of the wheel to places unknown; the stubs then would then drop out of the rims, and leftover rim tape, it turns out, will stick to just about anything.

And of course it was just at this moment, with the room looking like it had witnessed the dismemberment of some steampunk leviathan that had been fighting back for the entire process; your correspondent centre stage wielding a large set of bolt croppers in a pair of orange gloves, size 41 boot on a half dismembered wheel, spokes flying into the distance, and unnoticed rim tape hanging off a sleeve like entrails, that the door opened and the boss arrived unannounced leading some local teachers on an impromptu tour...

Rear Hope/Halo Vapour wheel build finished, cleaned the All-City and had a tidy up in the shed.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
From Saturday; I'd been asked to service a Trek 7.3FX so I picked it up in the morning.

I started off servicing the wheel bearings which were in great condition, which is always nice to see. The rear one even adjusted up perfectly at the first attempt....... which made me worried that I'd made some sort of mistake.:unsure:

A new 8 speed chain and cassette were fitted (chain needed doing, cassette was owners request). At a service during the covid crisis the bike had been fitted with a 12-25 cassette in place of the 11-32 that it would normally have had (probably done at the point when cassettes seemed to be out of stock almost everywhere). He was happy for me to fit an 11-30 that I already had in my hoard of new parts to save having to get one in specially.

All the cables were replaced and I found the gear cable for the front frayed inside the shifter to the point that it was on the verge of breaking, so that was fortuitous timing. After a general check and adjustment there were no more new parts wanted so I headed out for a test ride where the most awful screechy squeak showed up - the owner had mentioned that he thought the bottom bracket was on its way out but I'd found it running smoothly and with no play. It didn't take long to suss out that the noise was the suspension seat post. I haven't serviced one of these before but it proved simple to do and, with some fresh grease inside, silence is restored.

The chap was very chuffed to get the bike back the same day - he seemed to think I'd take at least a week.^_^

had a camera mount double failure on my ride last weekend. fortunately the camera tumbled onto leaves & grass for a soft landing
  • failure #1 - L-bracket slid out of zip ties on helmet
  • failure #2 - quick release separated from the L-bracket. nothing a little glue can't fix

• I might add a 4th zip tie to help keep the L-bracket on my helmet.
  • I might also start using voice control instead of always reaching up to press the button. the less human contact the better.
  • I think I'll also lube the quick release w/ some chapstick, because I was also removing it & re-attaching it a lot for other types of photos/angles
qr mount glued.jpg

And of course it was just at this moment, with the room looking like it had witnessed the dismemberment of some steampunk leviathan that had been fighting back for the entire process; your correspondent centre stage wielding a large set of bolt croppers in a pair of orange gloves, size 41 boot on a half dismembered wheel, spokes flying into the distance, and unnoticed rim tape hanging off a sleeve like entrails, that the door opened and the boss arrived unannounced leading some local teachers on an impromptu tour...
mad scientist.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Regreased 6 of the 8 rear suspension bearings and two horst link pivots at weekend (full suspension MTB). Just got the two main lower chain stay bearings to do, but that's cranks off. It's being chucked off mountains over two days at the end of the month and hasn't been ridden in anger since just after Christmas ! :hyper: Headset/BB and jockey wheels were done soon after the Christmas ride (it was crazy wet).

PS Full Suspension bikes needs loads more maintenance than a road bike, gravel or even a HT MTB. :ohmy:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Regreased 6 of the 8 rear suspension bearings and two horst link pivots at weekend (full suspension MTB). Just got the two main lower chain stay bearings to do, but that's cranks off. It's being chucked off mountains over two days at the end of the month and hasn't been ridden in anger since just after Christmas ! :hyper: Headset/BB and jockey wheels were done soon after the Christmas ride (it was crazy wet).

PS Full Suspension bikes needs loads more maintenance than a road bike, gravel or even a HT MTB. :ohmy:

I just 'wash' my road bikes. It was a steep learning curve. The FS is just a Boardman Pro I picked up cheap in sales just after I broke my spine in 2015, so was 'hidden' away for a bit...:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Swings and roundabouts though - ditched road riding after my big smash, MTB'ed for 4-5 years (car driver issues), back riding road last two years, but not rush hour. Back commuting, but off road routes on an old MTB. Love it..

8mph

Veteran
I wanted to get my new (second hand) carbon wheels fitted today. Had all the tools bar a cassette tool but the rotors are fitted and front wheel on. I took the opportunity to weigh the carbon wheel, its about 50g lighter than my Mavic / XT wheel. There's no discernable difference in the ride, just peddling up the street. Tommorow I'll fit a new cassette and get the rear wheel on.

I wanted to get my new (second hand) carbon wheels fitted today. Had all the tools bar a cassette tool but the rotors are fitted and front wheel on. I took the opportunity to weigh the carbon wheel, its about 50g lighter than my Mavic / XT wheel. There's no discernable difference in the ride, just peddling up the street. Tommorow I'll fit a new cassette and get the rear wheel on.

Riding with two wheels on the bike will certainly make a noticable difference.

I put a new tubeless tyre on my rear winter wheel and it seated first time with absolutely no mess. Its still got the 11sp cassette on it that I used last winter and the chain has got zero wear after a summers use so 🤞 it meshes. If not I'll have to transfer the matching cassette from the summer wheel.

After the zero mess first time I reseated the front. It had pumped up dry and held air so I expected no leakage but I got a tiny bit. But it seems to have seated and is holding air 🤞

Top Bottom