What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Stripped the rear free hub on the better half's Cotic after it started making nasty noises while in Suffolk this week; cleaned it out and regreased plus found the 'spring' which holds the pawls in place had broken, luckily had a spare hub I could rob the part from.

Also cleaned chain and cassette to make sure all sandy muck was removed.

Cleaned the Stayer also plus cleaned the bb and cleaned and re-fited the cranks as it was making a clicking noise some of the time; not convinced the Praxis bb has particularly good seals as this-is the second time the noise has appeared after a few days in a sandy location:unsure:

TK421

Casual Extremist
Not sure if this counts as fettling but I have swapped the seat post on my Specialized Allez for the carbon post from a Tarmac so that I can use the shorter post from the Allez on the Itsabitsa Boardman I'm building.
20220924_124334.jpg

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Not had any fettle time recently, but managed a few hours of needed work on the Dawes, after 700km I have decided to stick with the current bars & the old tape was getting horrible, so it was time for new tape, I had hoped to get some of the Brooks Cabdium tape like I have on the Holdsworth but due to some unplanned expenses I decided that better wait so I put some generic tape I had in stock on, I am getting better at it.

I moved my pedals and Spa Nidd saddle from the holdsworth, I will buy matching ones of both when I see a deal, but the holdsworth is being converted back to 26 inch wheels so it currently off the road whilst I find time.

Sorted the mudguards out as they where fitted quite badly and replaced the shimano inserts for some fibrax ones which in my 2km test ride felt like a massive improvement. Also fitted the fork lamp holder for my cateye lamps.

Finally gave it all a clean, I could not find my chain cleaner so popped it off to clean, only to realise I didnt have a new quick link and the old one did not feel secure enough when refitted, so quick trip to decathlon and all ready for a ride tomorrow to check all is ok.

Big John

Guru
Cadged a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub from the bike charity where I work as a volunteer. It was covered in filth and was destined for the scrap pile. I've always wanted to take one apart and service it but never got round to having a go. Followed a couple of YouTube videos and stuck to the advice given - place all the parts in the order they were removed. I won't say it was easy (it wasn't) but thanks to the vids servicing a SA 3 speed hub is a very doable job if you're into fettling. It's positively shining now, oiled and fully working. Now, if we get someone in the shop with a dodgy SA 3 speed hub, we have a fighting chance of helping them out. When you look at the history of a SA 3 speed hub it's now 120 years old and so I'm told today's models haven't changed that much from the original.

CXRAndy

Guru
More preparation, acquired 12 extra purlins, for our roofing job. They are oversized, so will need to put my newly order rip table saw to work. I'm going to make up some work station rollers first to carry the purlins being 4.8metres long and weigh easy 40kg each

GuyBoden

Guru
Cadged a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub from the bike charity where I work as a volunteer. It was covered in filth and was destined for the scrap pile. I've always wanted to take one apart and service it but never got round to having a go. Followed a couple of YouTube videos and stuck to the advice given - place all the parts in the order they were removed. I won't say it was easy (it wasn't) but thanks to the vids servicing a SA 3 speed hub is a very doable job if you're into fettling. It's positively shining now, oiled and fully working. Now, if we get someone in the shop with a dodgy SA 3 speed hub, we have a fighting chance of helping them out. When you look at the history of a SA 3 speed hub it's now 120 years old and so I'm told today's models haven't changed that much from the original.

Excellent,

A good write up about the SA NIG and pre-NIG hub here:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=136098

I'm going to have to do this to a Shimano hub soon, so that's encouraging.

Last edited:
Proper fettle today. Removed some shimano disc brakes that were below minimum thickness. The bike seat with child in and the trailer pulling has hammered them.
Replaced with some nice Clark’s ones and bobs your uncle very quiet braking from the off.

Turned my attention to the commuter with Tektro disc brakes and rotors that had warped due to the single action piston. I’d previously swapped the brakes to some dual piston but didn’t get chance to align everything, did that and then spent about 30mins trying to true to rotor before throwing in the towel and buying two new ones which should come in the post tomorrow.

Proper fettle today. Removed some shimano disc brakes that were below minimum thickness. The bike seat with child in and the trailer pulling has hammered them.
Replaced with some nice Clark’s ones and bobs your uncle very quiet braking from the off.

Turned my attention to the commuter with Tektro disc brakes and rotors that had warped due to the single action piston. I’d previously swapped the brakes to some dual piston but didn’t get chance to align everything, did that and then spent about 30mins trying to true to rotor before throwing in the towel and buying two new ones which should come in the post tomorrow.
Black before, red after. New rotors came in the post overnight.

7B507DBB-E7C1-4A2B-940D-F442F7CB96FA.jpeg

FC09FEFB-50F7-434C-8ED7-AB2253784010.jpeg

After my ride this morning I spent the afternoon cleaning bikes. I have always used a version of the Mickle Method, wipe, lube, wipe again if necessary. But I am trying out liquid wax on the TT bike so rather than wiping it down, I degreased its chain first. It is just a spray degreaser which the local lbs had at a reasonable price. They were reccomend another kit until they scanned it and it came up at £35. After that he advised I get the spray :laugh:

Screenshot_20220925-195532_Instagram.jpg

Top Bottom