What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not today, but Wednesday… my front shifter stopped working, liberal spray with GT85 did nothing and wondering what the heck was going on I discovered the cable tension was non existent, tightened the cable up and hey presto working fine.

No idea what went on as I haven’t changed anything except put wider handlebars on; from 36cm to 38cm, if anything I’d of expected it to be too tight not too loose!

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Ultegra brakes removed and replaced with a lovely pair of new Dura Ace 7900 brakes so the whole group set is the same now.

026F8016-17AC-4E8F-8BFD-7E4E68B54BF7.jpeg

CFA6CE14-1026-4CB7-BFDF-23D3EFFCE705.jpeg

ADA00AD7-0858-4EC3-9D15-92BDE13BFBA9.jpeg

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Well the drought this summer, coupled with well over a thousand kilometres of mostly off-road riding had left my Kona with rear brake issues. The dust and sand that's liberally caked the bike, has also gummed up the master piston assembly in the brake lever. So today I dismantled the brake lever and the covers over the piston assembly. The piston assembly was so gummed up, I needed to attach a bleed syringe to the caliper and pressurise the system from below to "blow" the piston free from it's housing. With it freed up, I cleaned it all up and greased it with SRAM DOT grease. Re-assembly is not to difficult, just a little fiddly and with it all back together, I flipped the bike right side up and proceeded to bleed the back brake. It's all back together now and feeling brilliant again, just need to wash the bike now.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I felt that my foot was being forced into a heel-out position that it didn't want to be in, confirmed by me accidentally unclipping heel-in. I never normally unclip that way. I have now turned the back of the cleat slightly outwards, which will bring my heel slightly inwards.
That did the trick.
There was still a bit too much friction between the shoes and pedals after the upgrade. My feet could be moved to the positions they felt comfortable in during the pedal stroke but I had to apply too much twisting force and it was making my knees ache. I have just lubed the contact points, which should fix that. I'll be heading out to the shops on my bike so I will soon see if all is now well.

PS Yes - perfect now!

Last edited:
A quick fettle from me tonight. I dug out that old fulcrum 10/11spd wheel and swapped over to the 11sp cassette I'm using on my best bike. At first the lockring would only tighten so far and then completely loosen, so I swapped it for another and it was instantly good so I must have stripped it when I removed it. Then finally pumped the tyre up. That'll get me moving tomorrow or Monday if I decide to take the road bike out.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Tidying bits and pieces in the workshop/conservatory as it was looking a mess. There's also some nice fairy lights hung up which SWMBO wanted doing :girldance:

The Dawes Kingpin's been crunching the bottom bracket. I took the plunge and swapped it for a square taper bottom bracket plus square taper crankset as the axle was corroded. Rather than simply replacing the axle it is about time the whole thing got an upgrade. It's all in and I've used only items in the parts shed, but the chain cover won't go back on. That's down to the BB axle being too long, so I'll have to sort one that fits better. A 103mm one was too short and the next one up I had was 122mm.

Trued the rear Fulcrum 5 LG wheel that I'd replaced a spoke on after getting a branch caught in it whilst cross-countrying.

Removed the old front mudguard brackets from my Avanti Circa cross bike after the mudguard got damaged, yes - in the cross-countrying above. A removeable front mudguard's in as it might get used in cyclocross over the winter.

Repaired my son's Garmin 520 where the buttons fell out. I don't have the skills to fit a new bottom half, which is what it needs, so new buttons are glued on, made from other things. It works nicely indoors and he's got a530 for outdoors.

Also I used the almost-new bar tape from my NeilPryde Nazaré when I upgraded in July and put that onto my Raleigh SP Race commuter. The £1 Poundland bar tape I've had on for the past 18 months was looking xx(

Also, two new Vittoria Rubino's onto the Raleigh's Fulcrum 5 wheels in preparation for autumn commuting, which re-starts next week when I'm back in work four days a week.

Last edited:
Tidying bits and pieces in the workshop/conservatory as it was looking a mess. There's also some nice fairy lights hung up which SWMBO wanted doing :girldance:

The Dawes Kingpin's been crunching the bottom bracket. I took the plunge and swapped it for a square taper bottom bracket plus square taper crankset as the axle was corroded. Rather than simply replacing the axle it is about time the whole thing got an upgrade. It's all in and I've used only items in the parts shed, but the chain cover won't go back on. That's down to the BB axle being too long, so I'll have to sort one that fits better. A 103mm one was too short and the next one up I had was 122mm.

Trued the rear Fulcrum 5 LG wheel that I'd replaced a spoke on after getting a branch caught in it whilst cross-countrying.

Removed the old front mudguard brackets from my Avanti Circa cross bike after the mudguard got damaged, yes - in the cross-countrying above. A removeable front mudguard's in as it might get used in cyclocross over the winter.

Repaired my son's Garmin 520 where the buttons fell out. I don't have the skills to fit a new bottom half, which is what it needs, so new buttons are glued on, made from other things. It works nicely indoors and he's got a530 for outdoors.

Also I used the almost-new bar tape from my NeilPryde Nazaré when I upgraded in July and put that onto my Raleigh SP Race commuter. The £1 Poundland bar tape I've had on for the past 18 months was looking xx(

Also, two new Vittoria Rubino's onto the Raleigh's Fulcrum 5 wheels in preparation for autumn commuting, which re-starts next week when I'm back in work four days a week.

That reminds me I need to order a spoke for my commuter's rear Fulcrum 7.

Svendo

Guru
The rear brake cable snapped on the way home last night. Of course it was where the cable enters the frame and so once home was left with no existing ‘thread’ to draw the new cable through with.
After much head scratching and taping things together which all failed, I noticed the rear exit had a grommet that was removable. So technique is to removed fork, remove rear grommet, thread any old cable in from rear. Grab with needle nose pliers from top of head tube, thread the sleeve strip that came with the frame down the cable and out of the rear. Thread new brake cable from handlebars through housing into head tube, grab through head tube and thread through sleeve out of rear, refit grommet and continue to fit as normal. Wipe sweat from brow and subject other half to blow by blow account, realise she’s not bothered so post here instead!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've upgraded my perfectly legal 36v 250w e motor & battery to a quite illegal 48v 750w motor & battery.
I now understand better why these things are illegal without the permits etc. It's damn vicious!
Mucho detuning to be done today. I'm after a mileage increase between charges, not the power and speed.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
With Autumn just around the corner I decided that it was about time to think about mudguards for the mountain bike, with the 29 inch wheels this thing does fling the muck about. I had a mudhugger front mudguard that I'd tried unsuccessfully to fit to another bike and was now spare, so I decided to chuck that on the Sonder. With the big wheels though I decided to also purchase the extender piece that Mudhugger do. Fitting it is simplicity itself, just drill out the three dimples in the end of the existing mudguard and then using the moulded in depresion in the extender to line everything up, you push in the provided plastic rivets.

IMG_20220923_162516299.jpg

It's goes together really well and on the bike provides quite a long mudguard that should hopefully provide some good protection.

IMG_20220923_163013631.jpg

So with that done, I popped a mudhugger medium guard on the back.

IMG_20220923_164958419.jpg

So hopefully that should keep me a little cleaner through the winter.

Current project in the workshop:

2022_09_23_Specialized_01.jpg

Nice frame but it's been badly abused then dumped in a shed for several years. The original plan was to send it to our second centre for the frame to be stripped down and I'd build up from there. This didn't work (I need to work on communication obviously) and it came back today after a couple of weeks in a storage unit.

So now it's getting restored and improved...

2022_09_23_Specialized_03.jpg

Top Bottom