What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just dug this out from the Dead Bicycle Rack:

Morrison_00.jpg

This doesn't really show the extent of the disaster. Here's another view:

Morrison_01.jpg

Morrison_02.jpg

Enough rust to make an industrial archaeologist go weak at the knees...

However under the mess it has potential and may even be a possibility for the Younger Son. I've sent a picture and await his response. Itisn't my style but he has very different tastes so he may like it.

New chain on and a clean up and I reckon that could be a goer providing the BB isn’t seized.

Bottom bracket (a BB86 pressfit) required changing on commuter. It was fitted with an Oval 520 crank which used the same axle spec as SRAM GXP. However I replaced it with a Hollowtech Ii compatible BB as I had a spare Shimano crankset and 4iiii power meter lying around I wanted to fit.

Removal and refitting was a breeze but, following reassembly I found that the Shimano chainrings sat 1.2mm further out requiring adjustment of the front derailleur.With the tyres being at the maximum the bike will take, the adjustment meant that the derailleur arm would temporarily rub on the rear tyre when moving up to the big ring. I dug out my Dremel and, using a grinding attachment, took a bit off of the rear edge of the derailleur arm. I then touched up the ground area with some black enamel paint I had in the toolbox.

All good now.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This afternoon I prepped son no. 2's PlanetX Nanolight hillclimb bike ready for tomorrow's National Hillclimb up The Old Shoe near Llangollen. He'll also be using it for the BUCS National Hillclimb next Saturday in the Vale of Belvoir. Note: I prepped it as it's up here with me since he's busy today and it'll be a very early start tomorrow to pick him up, then drive to north Wales.

Part of the prep was to look closer at how to dismantle the remaining Di2 bits on the left shifter we don't want. With some prising the spare levers are off plus some springs, saving another 25g in the process. It does look like a bike, just an incredibly light one (5.2kg) on a budget of £1000.

DSCF7020.JPG

After cleaning my Raleigh SP Race (again) following today's wet ride I then began unpacking the Dawes Giro 400 frameset bought from @bikingdad90 on here. It'll be a turbo-only bike to sit in the conservatory for Zwift rather than being ridden: if I put something 'nice' on there the likelihood is that it'll be stolen by the local dis-reputables. Looked like this, but in pieces, on arrival in a very well packed box:

ce7a5f16-576b-4832-8f2b-0395e09ba9ca-jpeg.jpg

The frameset plus bits arrived needing putting together. I took the opportunity to re-grease the headset for the reason that it'll sit static. Then added the stem, bars, seatpost and saddle supplied. I'll probably change the saddle shortly however for one we have ready.

I'm trying to use only items we've left over, but having sold quite a few this might be difficult. However, Shimano 105 11-speed front and rear derailleurs are on, together with an unused Ceramic Speed bottom bracket that I picked up extremely cheaply since the cup threads are damaged - but it went on fine. Photos to follow once I'm further on with the build. And have found the currently-missing matching 105 shifters :blush: .

Last edited:
@DCLane it’ll make a cracking turbo bike when built up.

Re-routed the dynamo cables and fitted the new Supernova rear light; while at it re-done the rear brake cable and tidied the di2 cable.
Was looking at fitting the rear light on the mudguard but have fitted it to the rack and may keep it there if I can come up with a tidier way of mounting it; cable will also eventually be routed under the mudguard.

The temporary wiring which will go under the mudguard;

IMG_3910.jpeg

Tidier wiring; brake in the centre, dynamo on the left and di2 on the right;

IMG_3909.jpeg

Temporary fitting on the rack; actually like how the light sits;

IMG_3908.jpeg

Next step is a partial strip down once I figure out how to re-do the di2 cables; possibly looking at running the main cable up through the bb (using the threaded hole where the current external di2 junction is bolted) and having the junction box inside the frame with the rear mech cable coming out via the dropper exit hole.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Third and final (for a while) bike that needed a new cassette & chain was the Pickenflick flat bar, but I've been putting doing this off for a bit while dithering about whether to turn this into a 1x or keep the double it was originally built up with. Thanks to a find on Ebay, the decision was made and the drivetrain was changed today. So from this:
1667159382423.jpeg

with the aid of this:
1667159439269.jpeg

and a new 11-28 cassette and a PC1110 chain to this:
1667159514353.jpeg

1667159530034.jpeg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Forgot to add to the above that once that had been done, I had another go at sorting out the gearing on the Spa Elan, but I've come to the conclusion that the use of a 17 tooth cog from a Miche cassette in the middle of a lightly used Shimano block doesn't work which is why the middle part of the cassette doen't index properly. It'll do for the winter and I'll source a new cassette & chain for next summer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some slight repairs to the neoprene cuff's on my Shimano MW7 winter boots. Couple of 'nicks' in the fabric have been 'darned' by me, and a through clean as they were filthy from a couple of weeks ago -the good thing is, a thorough clean is more of a good wipe down with a cloth.

I've pair of Shimano Winter road boots arriving in the next week - cheap win on ebay. Look in pretty good condition, but a thorough wash in the washing machine then a new set of cleats and they will be good to go. I'm somehow only down to one pair of road shoes. This brings it to two. May even dig out my old Northwave MTB shoes and see if they an be refurbed ?

Top Bottom