What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Headset on the Diamond Back needs swapping. When the bike was new it had a low stack, probably Tange headset. I changed this for a Shimano cartridge headset that's done the business for over 20 years, but the top cap hardly had any thread - only about 3mm and no washer. It's coming loose over a few rides since the refurb, so I've ordered a Tange Passage headset, that's just a 30-32mm stack. The STX is about 38mm.

Replacement headset arrived earlier. Doddle to replace, and even the crown race came off nicely. Took longer fitting the new race. Stack height is perfect, with the top of the threadded steerer meeting the weather seal, so happy with that. Lots of thread to bite onto unlike the old locking nut. I greased it up with Marine Grease.

Cost £11, with £5 on top for postage !

Last edited:
Printer again, after letting the print head soak in a saucer of detergent. OK, rhubarb & rose washing up liquid if we're being pedantic...

Dried everything, reinstalled everything and then did a few test sheets.

The good news is that I've lost the weird pink colour cast from yesterday. What's obvious though, is now a lack of ink, particularly yellow & black. But of course, any ink in the nozzles / print head has been all flushed out, so with cartridges that are almost empty, it's just going to highlight that. Anyways, a new set of cartridges ordered for £7.11 delivered.

Did see a print head / nozzle cleaning kit available while looking for help with the troubleshooting yesterday. Don't need all the gubbins that come in the kit, but want to check what the solvent is. It's probably either alcohol, white spirit or acetone I'd guess, so I'm likely to have that in anyway.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I recently sold my (soon to be ex) wife's Dama Bianchi VN7 which I'd previously upgraded to Ultegra Di2 to a friend. He has asked me to swap the drivetrain on to his Bianchi XR3, so my new living room come workshop has a rather splendid Bianchi collection in it currently :laugh:

20230202_002000.jpg

I've just gotten round to fitting an orange Burgtec Hollowtech II centre bolt to my XR4 which I think looks rather splendid, pleased with that :smile: Hopefully the weather will begin to turn soon so I can take her out on some clean dry roads haha.

Tomorrow morning I'll knock the BB out of the XR3 and run some Di2 cables ready to reassemble it and get it back to it's owner, then I'll rebuild the Dama VN7 with the Campag stuff that came off the XR3. He's going to sell the VN7 on I believe so essentially got a cheap Di2 upgrade out of me :laugh: Win win really as I enjoy stripping and building bikes and I get to fit this particular groupset twice :laugh:

C R

Guru
Printer again, after letting the print head soak in a saucer of detergent. OK, rhubarb & rose washing up liquid if we're being pedantic...

Dried everything, reinstalled everything and then did a few test sheets.

The good news is that I've lost the weird pink colour cast from yesterday. What's obvious though, is now a lack of ink, particularly yellow & black. But of course, any ink in the nozzles / print head has been all flushed out, so with cartridges that are almost empty, it's just going to highlight that. Anyways, a new set of cartridges ordered for £7.11 delivered.

Did see a print head / nozzle cleaning kit available while looking for help with the troubleshooting yesterday. Don't need all the gubbins that come in the kit, but want to check what the solvent is. It's probably either alcohol, white spirit or acetone I'd guess, so I'm likely to have that in anyway.

From my investigation of a similar problem the solvent that comes with the kits is isopropanol. Be careful with acetone, as it crystallises polycarbonate, so risk damage to the parts if they have any structural polycarbonate.

From my investigation of a similar problem the solvent that comes with the kits is isopropanol. Be careful with acetone, as it crystallises polycarbonate, so risk damage to the parts if they have any structural polycarbonate.

So it's an alcohol-based solvent then...

And thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

Reactions: C R

buzz22

I'm participating in a charity ride at the end of next month and we'll be camping for a couple of days down in the Alpine region of New South Wales.
I thought I'd take the opportunity to get set up so found this awning on Gumtree.
20230203_134526.jpg

It didn't come with mounting brackets so I picked up a kit and had to modify the brackets slightly.
I used the included 'T' bolts from the kit to mount to the channels of my roof racks and it was done.
The 'T' bolts make it easy to remove the awning from the rails when I don't need it attached.
Once set up I was pretty happy:
20230203_143929.jpg

20230203_143938.jpg

The awning is 2m wide and extends out 2.5m. It also came with 2 sides (2.5m wide) so we'll have a nice little protected area to set the tent under and I'll be able to keep my bikes covered.

Top Bottom