What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Well that's gone tits up. The motors dead. Looks like I'm back to riding unpowered. Meh.

dimrub

Not today, no, but a few days ago I finally took the racks and mudguards off my Kona Sutra, making it an almost ideal commuting machine for me. I did the commute 4 times with it now, 30 km each way, and it works great. It's still much heavier than my Canyon, but nimple enough, and I love the wider gear range. Having said that, I just might get my Canyon back soon, and if I do, I am going to switch back to it, for sure.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
swapped an older saddle onto the sale bike , no way im giving a good one away if it suits me , also swapped the spd pedals to single sided flat/ spd i had in the shed .As it happens the guy who turned up was after a bike for a charity ride and wanted flats anyway .
Much as i didnt want to part with the bike i hardly used it and the money pays for the shopping this week .

CXRAndy

Guru
Got most of the parts for the wife's Ebike conversion, got the suspension fork on with new crown race and lock out remote.

That then allowed all the follow on jobs, re-cabling derailleur, reroute rear brake hose. I had to exchange the front brake hose for a new longer hose because of the suspension fork. Now I have bleed the front brake.

Jobs left to finish

Finish battery mount, tidying all the motor wiring, pannier rack, dynamo light system

Set up bike fit for the Mrs test ride

EckyH

Changed the pedals on the Ridley X-Bow and did another test ride. The chain doesn't run as smooth and silent as I expected - have to sleuth the reason yet. My main suspect at the moment is the used chain ring, because the chain is new, the sprocket is as good as new (with less then 100km) and the pulleys in the derailleur cage don't show a sign of wear. The chain runs freely through the cage, so that's off the table. 🕵️‍♂️

E.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A couple of simple jobs today - firstly a change of cassette from 11-28 to 11-34 on the Spa Elan plus a new chain to match. The old chain & cassette with approx 1400 miles on them have been retained as spares.
Secondly the flat bar Triban conversion has been given a new pair of Campagnolo Calima wheels to replace the originals (again retained as spares). There's not a lot of weight difference as the Calimas are at the lower (bottom?) end of the range, but I prefer the look.
Triban updated 14-05-24, Wheels (1).jpg

Last edited:

buzz22

Über Member
My 1996 Cannondale R300 was built up for a charity ride I did recently, the ride involved a lot of climbing so the 36/46 standard chainrings and light weight made it perfect.
I had added an 8 speed 12-32 cassette (instead of 12-25 7 speed) with the standard RSX derailleur, it handled it (just) but wasn't happy.
Tonight I fitted a new Shimano Claris long cage derailleur which the cassette is happy with, along with a spare braze on Shimano Tricolour front derailleur with an adaptor I bought.
This gives more clearance for the rear tyre so I can now go up to a 25mm tyre which will make life more comfortable.
20240516_173730.jpg

20240516_173857.jpg

20240516_173835.jpg

I'm waiting on some 34/50 chain rings to arrive, the extra spread of ratios will make this even nicer to ride.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A miserably wet day was all the incentive I needed to get on with some fettling which had been planned for a while.

Firstly the flat bar Pickenflick got the same sized 11-34 cassette and a new chain as fitted to the Spa Elan yesterday. However as it had a SRAM Rival short cage rear derailleur with a maximum 28T capacity it meant a change to a SRAM NX shifter & derailleur (picked up cheaper than a Rival/Apex 1x derailleur alone).
Before any comments are made, I may still shorten the outer cable even further as NX seems to require a much shorter run than Rival and the cable end caps were delivered just as I finished the next job so have been fitted.
Pickenflick updated 16-05-4, SRAM NX & new cassette (1).jpg

Pickenflick updated 16-05-4, SRAM NX & new cassette (4).jpg

As this freed up the short cage Rival derailleur, it gave me the opportunity to upgrade my Van Nicholas Ventus from the original Apex 10 speed to the Rival 11 speed as it nears its 10th birthday using a shifter picked up for a good price from Planet X. The 11-28 cassette & chain from the Pickenflick were also transplanted as part of the fettle as they only had about 1300 miles on them.
Van Nicholas Best updated 160524, SRAM Rival rear shifter & derailleur (2).jpg

Van Nicholas Best updated 160524, SRAM Rival rear shifter & derailleur (3).jpg

Van Nicholas Best updated 160524, SRAM Rival rear shifter & derailleur (5).jpg

Edit = hopefully that's it for a while, although the rear tyre on the Van Nicholas could do with replacement

buzz22

Über Member
My Repco got the same chain ring conversion as my Cannondale.
The rear cassette is 12-28 so not quite as big a range but a useful improvement.
20240518_140541.jpg

20240518_140632.jpg

The new chainrings are steel instead of alloy, I don't care about any weight difference and they look ok.
The big difference was price- total cost was around $70 AUD for both bikes, if I went with alloy I was looking at over $300 AUD.
As it turns out a couple of the original ones were steel anyway.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son no. 2's Argon TT bike is being a pain again. As it's ended up back with me I've replaced the flat rear tyre with a Continental Pro Ltd ALX tyre, not the fastest but should be a bit durable. Also, the derailleur wasn't pivoting back so that's been rinsed clean.

My NeilPryde Nazaré has a new stem which I hope will fit me better and I've thrown on an 11-speed rear disc to use it as a back-up bike for tomorrow's 10 mile TT.

Adjusted the Woodrup and that's now ready for a retro event on 15th June I'm hoping to go to.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: A service of the hubs on the Raleigh as I realised I'd not done a service yet on these wheels since fitting them at the end of 2021.:shy: All is good though.

Unfortunately, during the service I noticed that the rear tyre has a cut in it which is down to the cords and extends into the sidewall - bin fodder after only 140 miles, which I'm not happy about:sad:. Today's job therefore was to swap that pair of tyres for some Vittoria Voyager Hypers I still had lurking about. I'm thinking that I'll run those until they are worn out then get a new tyre to replace the damaged Goodyear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom