What injuries/operations have you had?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've had my tonsils taken out, a 9 hour throat cancer op, two hip repairs,two detached retina ops,a hernia op',an air rifle pellet removed form my back and there's something else which i can't remember.

Fortunately very little. One fractured skull, bike accident, many cuts and abrasions, one, what I'm now sure is a worn right knee from years of mountaineering and cycling but so far, nothing else.

vickster

Legendary Member
Three knee ops (2 left, came off bike, 1 right probably down to doing too much too soon after being knocked off). 4 series of injections into left knee, 1 steroid injection

Two shin ops (left, knocked off bike)

Two shoulder ops (right, knocked off bike), plus steroid injection

Two elbow ops (left, tennis elbow, possibly down to a too big bike)

Very paunful left foot, steroid injection, shockwave therapy, possibly plantar fasciitis coupled with arthritis, awaiting fancy scans

Back op, years ago probably nothing to do with activity

Broke my right big toe by missing the bottom stair and landing on my tootsie (wearing socks)

Last edited:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
At four weeks old I had Pyloric Stenosis so I had an op.
At 11 years old I had an eye op to help with a lazy eye (the rest of me is still lazy)
At 14 years old I had a skin graft to mend third degree burns I suffered over 30% of my body.
Since then I've managed to stop costing the NHS money.

D

Deleted member 1258

Angina in 2008, 4 stents fitted. Minor Heart Attack last November, another stent fitted, Low Flow Priapism in 2012. In over 40 years of cycling a little bit of road rash and a few cuts and bruises

Last edited by a moderator:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
[QUOTE 4918629, member: 76"]I am struck by how many of us have had accidents and require surgery for various things, considering cycling and running and keeping fit is supposed to keep us all healthy :laugh:

So what work have you had done?

At various times in my sporty/keeping fit life I have.....

broken a shin, both wrists, right knee cap, 13 ribs (7 in one crash), left elbow, lots of fingers, right lower arm, 2 vertebrae (L4 & L5). Torn a ligament in my left ankle, currently sat here with a ruptured Achilles. Dislocated my right shoulder and been knocked unconscious twice. I can't even count the cuts and abrasions from falling over and crashing and being generally feckless.

I am left with crepitus in my shoulder, nerve damage in my right leg, arthritis in my left hand, a weak left ankle and dozens of scars :sad: My knees are not in good order from years of running about in boots with heavy rucksacks on, and landing hard on the ground from parachuting. My hearing is rubbish from years of shooting big things wearing no ear defenders.

Seriously, is this fitness lark really worth it?[/QUOTE]

Bloody hell that's a few.

Broken hand, broken ribs 3 times, unstable spinal fracture (serious) and banged up shoulder.

1 shoulder op and various injections. Spinal injury was treated conservatively as I thought the risk of paralysis was too high (since told it was the right decision as I have no metalwork).

Only long term issues are constant back pain and stiffness in back. Everything else is OK (from sports).

A further op, injections and pain drugs from a minor elective surgery that was botched. Never ever ever again. Ever !

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Lower leg tib ..both arms compound and a spiral fracture..
Fingers toes and ribs..snout
Lots of tendon and muscle sprains and tears ..
Starting handle flew off a mixer and got me above my eye..fook that hurt..
I'm still thinking this shoulder impinging is the winner..hurts like a bastid and the paralysis is as much pain as I ever want.

Motorcycling most of my life but MTB is far more dangerous :laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4918629, member: 76"]So what work have you had done?[/QUOTE]
Broke an elbow by falling when running and broke a wrist when someone else trod on it after I fell when running. None due to cycling, but I have had a significant cholesterol reduction apparently due to the exercise of it.

Top Bottom