What injuries/operations have you had?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
Broken little finger from cycling (along with scrapes and bruises from coming off at various points along the way) ... broken rib/s from silly drunken horseplay (yes - they do take months to heal) ... and a brain hemorrhage when I was 18; I'd joined a gym in order to put a bit of meat on my skinny teenage frame and overdid the weights ... pop went the tiny teenie weenie blood vessel, BANG went I onto the floor feeling like I'd been kicked in the head by a giant with Doc Martin boots on! After a week or two and an assortment of tests in the hospital: "No permanent damage Shaun," said the consultant, "but do me a favour and swap the weights for a bicycle eh?!!" ... ;)

Had I know that all I needed to do to "bulk up" was eat a tray of biscuits every week for 5 years, I wouldn't have bothered with the gym. :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've mostly broken records and hearts.
You stopped at the butcher's on the way home from His Master's Voice this time?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nothing. Not even had an hospital appointment. 48 years and counting. Probably been to the Drs 3 or 4 times in the last 20 odd years.
We thank you for your care, good fortune and national insurance payments. If more were like this lot instead of like you, the NHS would be in much deeper shoot!

classic33

Leg End Member
Cracked skull, lost count(four times this year, up to June)
Broken nose, Lost count
Loss of "family allowance/family jewels"
Both ankles broken, not at the same time
Left leg, broken
Right thumb, no bone on the top third, no nerves in the area behind the nail either
Nail lost whilst re-fitting a wheel)not certain how). Resulted in finding out the name of the local(Lidocaine) that caused problems. Severe reaction to it(stopped the heart) in A&E

Non related Cycling injuries;

Broken nose three times, once playing cricket, twice kicked in the face whilst competing in Kyokushinkai Knockdown competitions.

Split upper left eyelid and 10 percent damage to eyesight from a screwdriver, due to my 16 year old self telling the electrification at the brickyard I worked at the time to f*ck off, he came up behind me and tried to choke me and forgot he had the screwdriver in his hand, I dropped my chin and his hand slipped vertically with the screwdriver and nicked my eye.

End of my right index finger rather wider than it used to be after being hit by a sledgehammer (brickyard).

Fell off a concrete ledge (at the brickyard again) on to a broken off piece of broom handle, it speared me through my jeans into my scrotum past my right testicle, I stood up, took one look and collapsed. I was rushed to the Leicester Royal Infirmary where a Professor Bell opened me up and cleaned me of assorted brick dust. He told me another inch and it would have perforated my bowel and could then have died of peritonitis. My mate Gaz mercilessly ribbed me calling me Basil for weeks afterwards.

Semi prolapsed disc whilst working on my allotment.

Cycling injuries:

Dislocated shoulder
Broken wrist.

Tore both cruciate ligaments while cycling. No surgery or proper diagnosis as the production line GP did not give a shoot and told me to put my feet up for 3 months and let all the muscles waste away.
Another GP fast tracked me to sports physio for 4 months, while my boss whined about 'time off' as I bent double at the waist lifting file boxes to sort out his VAT mistakes.
Was in pain for a year, am left with recurring chronic patellar bursitis. It cost me 6 years cycling.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
A painfully crushed testicle from abseiling in a harness improvised from two climbing slings looped around my hips. Subsequent re-injury when I jumped into a car and sat, er, awkwardly.

A life-long weakness of an ankle after I dislocated it jumping backwards off a climbing wall and landing on the edge of a crash mat.

Lots of cuts, bruises and abrasions in 21 years of mountain biking.

A badly bruised shoulder from hitting a steel stanchion while riding down a staircase where pikeys had stolen the rail. We moved into a new house the next day and I pulled down a stud wall and a ceiling one-handed.

So far no bad injuries in the eight years I've been a road cyclist. I must be getting more cautious or more skilful.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
That was not a good day to discover I had a high tolerance to local anaesthetic. So high the Doc asked me if I was a junkie! I'm not, and it huuurrrttt!!!!
Better than a slight/minor reaction to it.

Last edited:

Lullabelle

Banana
A few years ago TVC and I took part in a cycle event to raise a bit of cash for a local charity, got to a roundabout a little too fast, applied my brakes and landed on the floor facing the direction we had come from. A small cut to my elbow and a few small bruises. I appear to bounce very well although now I am older maybe not so well but don't fancy finding out.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
No bones broken and no ops needed apart from having a few benign bits of skin cut off (no, not that one). I did play Football a lot in my youth, but not much Rugby. My only sports from then on were Badminton and Snooker, which isn't renowned for being the most dangerous of sports.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Not that bad really, a dislocated elbow aged 15 playing footie after a bad tackle on me and a bad fall.
A dislocated patella(kneecap) three times again footie related.
Broken nose, footie related, there seems to be a trend developing here, but many years ago.

wormo

Guru
Sport wise - kicked in eye playing rugby around 14 - no lasting issues fortunately - snapped anterior cruciate ligament playing football (probably caused the arthritis in my knee)
- various dislocated fingers playing football (put back in myself and continued playing)
None sports - broke my wrist falling off bike doing my paper round
- contracted rhuematic fever aged 13

Told would need a new knee by time I was 50 ( i was around 43 at time). took up cycling again, no longer have any knee pain. Had been going the gym for 15 yrs previously.

Fairly lucky compared to some.

Top Bottom