What injuries/operations have you had?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Lower leg tib ..both arms compound and a spiral fracture..
Fingers toes and ribs..snout
Lots of tendon and muscle sprains and tears ..
Starting handle flew off a mixer and got me above my eye..fook that hurt..
I'm still thinking this shoulder impinging is the winner..hurts like a bastid and the paralysis is as much pain as I ever want.

Motorcycling most of my life but MTB is far more dangerous :laugh:
Dangerous things those mixer starting handles....on a site I worked on in the 70s a brickies mate tore open his forearm as it kicked back on him.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Dangerous things those mixer starting handles....on a site I worked on in the 70s a brickies mate tore open his forearm as it kicked back on him.
Marine diesel engines are the same. I used to start a Lister by swinging the handle for a few turns before moving one hand to engage the compression switches. If you don't have enough momentum, the handle springs back and clocks you hard on the wrist.

gbb

Legendary Member
Marine diesel engines are the same. I used to start a Lister by swinging the handle for a few turns before moving one hand to engage the compression switches. If you don't have enough momentum, the handle springs back and clocks you hard on the wrist.
Exactly what happened I suspect...id forgotten about the compression lever, blimey that brings back memories.

Drago

Legendary Member
Gall bladder removal also part of the cartilage removed from my right knee.

You had a gall bladder on your right knee?!

I wouldn't do it again. Minor procedure but 1 in 10 get permanent pain - PM me if you want some details as it's a bit eye watering.

That was not a good day to discover I had a high tolerance to local anaesthetic. So high the Doc asked me if I was a junkie! I'm not, and it huuurrrttt!!!!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I've hurt my pride on a number of occasions. Last time was when I was overtaken by an elderly don on his Brompton doing over 20mph down the Banbury Road.
You are too modest Rocky. Remember that time you ran out of excuses when it was your round and had that Op to remove your wallet? That took an age to recover from and return to normal IIRC

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Exactly what happened I suspect...id forgotten about the compression lever, blimey that brings back memories.
The marine Listers had big flywheels that stored a lot of kinetic energy. If your efforts at turning it over didn't make the cylinders fire when you flicked the compression switches, I think that all that energy came back as compressed air and bit you in the form of a starting handle whipping round in reverse. Always a bit scary.:smile:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Cycling related injuries are limited to a broken nose as a teen from cycling into the back of a parked car, a subluxed AC joint as a result of an alcohol induced off and a few stitches in a head wound from an off a few weeks ago.

Only one non-cycling related hospital stay which was for gall bladder removal (pre-keyhole days)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Broken collarbone x4 (1x right and 3 times left, now that is permanently broken/non-union fracture)
Both little fingers broken (I seem to always have them beyond the end of the handlebars)
Numerous Ribs (always broke at least a couple when I've snapped Collarbones)
Crushed Layrynx, after landing on the back of my neck following a 3/4 summersault over a car bonnet (if I hadn't been wearing a rucksac or if I'd been wearing a helmet it would've probably snapped my neck)

But the only injuries I've needed surgery for (torn Knee Cartilege and snapped Femur) were not cycling injuries.

Mind you in 50yrs of cycling that's not a bad record :cycle:

Wobblers

Euthermic
Broke my elbow when I was assaulted on duty, had 2 ops and a fistful of titanium.

Surely the titanium would have been better in your elbow? Should have got yourself a better quack. On the other hand, at least they seemed to know the difference between arse and elbow - lucky escape there!

pjd57

Veteran
Cracked ribs a couple of times. Not cycling. Painful , but not much can be done to help. Time and painkillers.

Got the snip a long time ago.
Quick and painless.

Top Bottom