What is it about riding a bike that feels so good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
For me the true satisfaction and pleasure comes after my ride has auto-uploaded to Strava and I see not only a string of PBs (I expect nothing less) but a coveted KoM. It's only then that the pure suffering out on the road, and the expense of maintaining a state of the art road bike become worthwhile. I sip my espresso and watch the kudos roll in, knowing that my hours on the turbo were not wasted.

Will that do @Blue Hills ? ;)

Although I would add that - although I'm taking the mickey - if someone does derive motivation from online competition and satisfaction from riding expensive kit that's absolutely fine by me. All power to them. It takes all sorts.

Last edited:
Ride on dogtrousers.

Enjoy your rides but I do hope you chill/smell the roses/cowmuck sometimes.

I share your enthusiasm for espresso (a confirmed coffeehead and will probably die from a caffeine OD) but my main interface between cycling and espresso is making one on a compact stove behind a handy church.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was kidding. I have a Strava a/c but hardly ever use it and I doubt I've ever got into the top 10000 on a KoM.

I do like espresso tho.

Gunk

Guru
There is something about the simplicity of a machine you can maintain and fix yourself and ride silently along the lanes isn't there? The only bit I don't like is punctures at side of road, but they are not that often, and I fit more robust tyres this time of year.

I agree, I love the elegance of the mechanics on a bike, and love working on them. Probably more than motorcycles which are my other love.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Can I try a different tack? Everything that's been said is true of course.

When we sit on our bikes and start to ride, a miracle happens. We balance, apparently effortlessly, on two wheels, for hours on end if we want to. From what I can understand of the science, the gyroscopic action of the rotating wheels is insufficient by itself to maintain balance against the competing weight of the rider; what we are doing is making continual small adjustments, although we have no conscious awareness of this. We're perfectly tuned into a complex process which feels the most natural thing in the world. Perhaps that's part of the reason it feels so good.

That said, walking involves a more complex balancing process that is often realised, and that feels good too. Swimming also. I've always enjoyed being in the water but I've never mastered the art of making efficient forward progress. For those who can do so, I imagine that feels fantastic as well.

But with a bike you can traverse continents if that's what you want to do. Walking and swimming score in other ways.

So much of the above, and, for me...... it "just" does, always has, and, I believe, always will.

Long live the bicycle.

Top Bottom