What is "superhighway"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When they first announced London's cycling superhighways I assumed this was a compound noun made up of super ("An article or a product of superior size quality or grade") and highway ("a public road that all may use"). But surely I guessed wrong. Maybe it's a portmanteau made of "superannuation" , "highball" and "sway". No, that's not it.

But surely a superior road that all may use would not have one of these on it (cool as it is!)[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cdk4dPu7B4[/media]

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Why couldn't he put his mast down and go under ?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Very cool! No different to Tower Bridge, really, just smaller. It's not like it's favouring one class of road user, you all have to wait. It's only like traffic lights, or a level crossing. What's the problem? Yacht envy?

Where is it?

Matthames

Über Member
Why couldn't he put his mast down and go under ?

Because it would have been more hassle than it is worth. The mast could have been keel stepped, which would have meant having to de rig the boat. That would mean taking off the sails, unbolting the gooseneck, sending somebody up the top of the mast to attach the crane, unbolting all the shrouds, backstays, forestays, whilst making sure there is no other rigging attached to the mast before it is lifted. Once on the other side of bridge, the process is reversed. All that is assuming you have access to a crane on both sides.

But then again, a couple of minutes inconvenience to road users as they open the bridge and let you pass under is a lot less hassle and much much safer.

Matthames

Über Member
Very cool! No different to Tower Bridge, really, just smaller. It's not like it's favouring one class of road user, you all have to wait. It's only like traffic lights, or a level crossing. What's the problem? Yacht envy?

Where is it?

It looks like it is Limehouse Basin, the yacht is going from the Thames into the basin.

Brains

Legendary Member
Next time
If you turn right and go up the side of the lock you can walk your bike over the top of the lock and then you are on the other side. Takes maybe 20 seconds longer!

It wasn't really a complaint. The swing bridge is fine but there is a lot else about CS3 which makes a nonsense of the name.

Saddest thing was, just as the bridge slotted back into place, a 6 year old rounded the corner with his mum and ran excitedly forward to see the bridge in action. Better luck another day, I guess.

I don't most non-trailer yachts can drop their masts. I used to sail on a columbia class (in a bay, so it wasn't an issue) and the only way that mast would come down was if you used the large spinnaker in a strong wind - happened to another boat we were racing one day.

main.jpg

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
as someone who recently attended a party on a mega-yacht in St. Katherine's basin, I think it only right and proper that you oiks have to wait for the gentry to go by!

Top Bottom