What is the weirdest heckle you've had while cycling ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
Just been through Parliament square, turning left from Whitehall to go over Westminster Bridge. Cognizant of the fact that turning left brings me onto a 3 lane road on which I need the middle lane, that there was a medium sized coach behind me at the lights and that there is normally a fight for position, I hopped off and walked through a couple of pedestrian lights on red, to get ahead of the traffic safely and not hold it up.

Back in the saddle of the Barclay's bike firmly ensconced in the middle lane and cruising up to the red lights, the coach driver zoomed up past me on the outside lane, beeped, gesticulated and swerved over in front of me to turn left. As I rolled past him to the ASL at the red light, he waved his hands and exclaimed:

"You've just gone and walked through a red light there."

Now I'm not sure about the legality of walking a bike through a red pedestrian light but were it on the pavement I doubt it would be illegal, so any comments on this welcome. However I'm more interested to hear of any other bizarre heckles of road rage that have been encountered on a bike.

Were you still on the road when you walked through? If so, you shouldn't have done that. If I'm a pedestrain crossing the road I'd be annoyed by a cyclist either cycling or walking their bike across. The lights are there for people to safely cross from one side to the other.

OP
OP
thom

thom

____
Were you still on the road when you walked through? If so, you shouldn't have done that. If I'm a pedestrain crossing the road I'd be annoyed by a cyclist either cycling or walking their bike across. The lights are there for people to safely cross from one side to the other.
There were no pedestrians on the crossings - I was walking the bike gently by the side of the road.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another cyclist made an odd remark to me during this year's Durham Big Ride.

I'm not into cycling clothing and was wearing my usual jogging bottoms, T-shirt, fleece, and an old pair of black leather slip-on shoes with moulded soles - fine for the bike's platform pedals.

As the rider passed me after about 15 miles, he said: "You've come a long way in your shiny shoes."

The remark was made in a sneering tone, so my footwear clearly bothered him.

Mile195

Veteran
About 7 years ago I cycled down to Arundel from SE London. Part of the final stretch was the B2139 to the Whitways Lodge roundabout which goes up a fairly steep hill. This was my first ever "long" ride, and it was an incredibly hot day so I'd dispensed with my jersey a few miles before.

As I approached the summit of the hill, a white Transit passed me and as he did so his passenger shouted out the window "nice chest". I assumed this was intended to be some kind of heckle, but given the poor choice and subsequent delivery of words it actually sounded more like a come on. Unfortunately the gradient of the hill along with my inexperience of long rides meant that all of my resources were devoted to keeping the bike moving so I struggled to think of something clever to shout back. I'll be more prepared next time...

Berties

Fast and careful!
Not in a very built up area head down ,at pace,some one shouts ,tour de France is that way pointing south,to which I growled just past the comedy club then!

sackville d

Veteran
Another cyclist made an odd remark to me during this year's Durham Big Ride.

I'm not into cycling clothing and was wearing my usual jogging bottoms, T-shirt, fleece, and an old pair of black leather slip-on shoes with moulded soles - fine for the bike's platform pedals.

As the rider passed me after about 15 miles, he said: "You've come a long way in your shiny shoes."

The remark was made in a sneering tone, so my footwear clearly bothered him.
You know,you should have replied "You`ve come a long way....for a nobber.":thanks:

"it's green" said to me by a kindly gentleman in Denmark after I stopped at a green traffic light instead of carrying on. I didn't know at the time that I was suffering from heat exposure! my responce was "yeh, I missed that". not quite a heckle but one of the odder conversations with a pedestrian I have had.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Just been through Parliament square, turning left from Whitehall to go over Westminster Bridge. Cognizant of the fact that turning left brings me onto a 3 lane road on which I need the middle lane, that there was a medium sized coach behind me at the lights and that there is normally a fight for position, I hopped off and walked through a couple of pedestrian lights on red, to get ahead of the traffic safely and not hold it up.

Back in the saddle of the Barclay's bike firmly ensconced in the middle lane and cruising up to the red lights, the coach driver zoomed up past me on the outside lane, beeped, gesticulated and swerved over in front of me to turn left. As I rolled past him to the ASL at the red light, he waved his hands and exclaimed:

"You've just gone and walked through a red light there."

Now I'm not sure about the legality of walking a bike through a red pedestrian light but were it on the pavement I doubt it would be illegal, so any comments on this welcome. However I'm more interested to hear of any other bizarre heckles of road rage that have been encountered on a bike.
It makes me wonder about whether pushing a vehicle over red lights is as legal as walking a bike over is. Just for the potential ''Well get out and push it'' counter heckles.

sackville d

Veteran
I was passing down through Worsthorn near Burnley,when a rather rotund young fellow of about 14 called out "We know your gay". (I`m not by the way,but did look fine in summer Sunday kit:blush:)
So quick as a flash,reaching into my vast catalogue of witty comebacks,selected this one.
"Shut up you fat c***!" Now I didn`t look back to see how appreciative of my responce he was but I`m sure he looked something like this:surrender:

albion

Guru
As I pulled onto the pavement at the uninhabited western end of Stanhope to have a sandwich and drink before tackling Crawleyside bank, a pensioner advised me about the police and cycling on the pavement.

He never noticed that it was 5 yards of roll to that bench just behind him.

ayceejay

Guru
I was almost home the other day when this huge American car 'sidled' alongside me. I looked and sure enough it contained a huge American. I had no idea what he was saying but his lips were moving. He pressed a button and the window wound down. I could tell he was annoyed and the more he spoke the smaller my part of the road became. I thought it best to stop. He continued on a bit - stopped then reversed - at speed. He wanted directions 'home' a bit ET. I said "keep going straight" (which is true) and off he went leaving me in the wake of $5 worth of exhaust fumes.

Top Bottom