What is your best cycling related purchase of 2018.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
The BSA Tour de France, which was free. I had so much fun doing that bike up, probably the most fun with a bike I’ve had this year.
I took a look at your link and saw the Littlewoods catalogue page from "1976"* that also has the BSA Sirocco on it. My first bike with gears was a 2nd hand Sirocco bought around 1978 and was used for my first cycle-camping trip.

*I'm dubious about the 1976 date because the page refers to Raleigh team winning the TdF in 1977

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A Harry Quinn "barn find" road bike for £80 which, once I'd removed all the horrible low-end components (steel wheels, Campag Valentino rear mech, a completely dried-up Peugeot leather saddle) turned out to be a decent light frame, probably double-butted from the weight. Refurbished and made into a winter fixie, it handles better than any other road bike I've got.

Old jon

Guru
This:--

IMG_3104.jpg

Even though I fell off.
Made in Brazil, bought to ride there and loads of fun!

Attachments

• IMG_3104.jpg
    IMG_3104.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 22
focus-aventura2-2018-electric-hybrid-bike-grey-EV316416-7000-1.jpg

Has been a fantastic investment and will allow me to carry on cycling for many more years

Easy! A KMC 9 speed chain, because without it I would be literally going nowhere.

In a close runner up, a pair of 8mm diameter rubber p-clips finally let me fit a rack and mudguard simultaneously on my tricky positioned rear disk brake caliper. The mudguard stay fouled the caliper. It took me 4 months to get around to fitting it, but doing so was sweet. Goodbye Mr Mud Stripe!

My Shimano winter boots, they make winter riding a pleasure. :sun:
I almost pulled the plug on a pair too, but I've still got a bit of life in my summer shoes and overshoes... :sad: Hoping that the soles wear through soon so the wife can't complain about my spending ;)

Last edited:

Nebulous

Guru
No positive major purchases in the last year. I'm very happy with a pair of DHB gloves. They messed up by sending me a medium glove and a large instead of two larges. When I pointed it out to them I got told to keep them and they sent out another pair. So I now have 3 gloves that fit and one which doesn't for the price of a pair.

Worst purchase would be a different story. I have a few of those!

Top Bottom