What is your rescue remedy for cycle breakdowns miles from home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What on earth happened to the bottom bracket? I wasn't aware that they could suddenly fail catastrophically. Getting back within london never a serious problem of course.
I had a wobbly sealed BB which I kept putting off replacing, but eventually it went almost unuseably wobbly over a couple of miles. I assume that a ball bearing or two must have shattered. Fortunately, I wasn't far from home by then.

Maybe, maybe not

I’m not so sure why you have such an issue. If it’s not for you, then you don’t have to have it. No skin off my nose if you dont, none off yours if I do

Don't have a personal issue. Nose/s fine. My response above to potentially cute taxi drivers was in response to a post of yours which read simply.

>>Why? I could well get a puncture more than once a year that I can’t (be bothered to) fix :smile:

period.

which had a certain ring to it.

Stuff was added later.

Ride on.

I had a wobbly sealed BB which I kept putting off replacing, but eventually it went almost unuseably wobbly over a couple of miles. I assume that a ball bearing or two must have shattered. Fortunately, I wasn't far from home by then.
Was it shimano colin? Only time I have ever had bearings totally collapse was in a Dahon cartridge bearing headset, but that's Dahon for you - that was real wobble - luckily didn't happen going down a mountain.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't have a personal issue. Nose/s fine. My response above to potentially cute taxi drivers was in response to a post of yours which read simply.

>>Why? I could well get a puncture more than once a year that I can’t (be bothered to) fix :smile:

period.

which had a certain ring to it.

Stuff was added later.

Ride on.
Would you have made the cute taxi driver comment if I was a man? :rolleyes: Or are only women unable to fix stuff or disinterested in doing so?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Was it shimano colin? Only time I have ever had bearings totally collapse was in a Dahon cartridge bearing headset, but that's Dahon for you - that was real wobble - luckily didn't happen going down a mountain.
I'm trying to remember which bike it was on ... I think it was a road bike, in which case it would have been a Campagnolo BB, but if it was my MTB then it would have been Shimano.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I’m not good mechanically but carry tubes, multi tool, quick links and zip ties. Much beyond punctures and broken chain and I’m stuck. I do maintain my bikes fastidiously. Always cleaning, lubing etc. and watching for problems while doing this. If I spot anything while doing this or riding I visit my LBS ASAP. I realise people who are mechanically competent will have another view but each to his own for me.

I once had a bottom bracket fail 5-6 miles from home. It was so cold my water bottles froze. I managed to limp home. This aside I’ve never had a failure.

As an alternative to ETA I use Lexham at £15 pa. I haven’t had to call them out but know three people who have successfully used the service. I once called them to discuss the policy, the young woman I spoke to was extremely helpful.

https://www.lexhaminsurance.co.uk/products/cycle-recovery/

Last time I toured in France I found myself on a ridiculously rural and isolated road. Nothing but maize for miles. I hadn’t seen a car for hours. I had also run out of water. I had a “what are you doing” moment (I was 60 at the time) and resolved either to avoid the situation in future or try to find a solution. The only possibility I’ve come up with so far is a GPS tracker which alerts others if there is no movement after a certain period - I do intend to buy one before my next long tour.

I think it’s worth commenting the situation is potentially the same with a car or even walking. If I suffered a car breakdown in an isolated area I could no more fix that than a bike. My bike though does receive far more regular visual inspections than my car!

Or are only women unable to fix stuff or disinterested in doing so?

Nothing in my posts in this thread to suggest I even remotely think such a thing. Or any of my other cchat posts.

You are an individual. And I was replying to a post from you, an individual, which until it was edited by you, simply said:

Your smiley.

Your choice. As an individual.

This seems to me to be a positive thread and thanks again OP.

I get the feeling from folks' posts that little is likely to be a mega disaster, and the little disasters that we have had are something for us and others to learn from.

What I learned from my Speed Pro experience above?

Don't buy another Dahon, however much fun some can be, thank my lucky stars I never went for the touring version of that bike, even if doing long day rides on it (and I have done some very challenging long day rides on it) never be out of reach of a bail of some sort on that particular bike.

Come to think of it I have had other issues.

Used to lead lots of rides for a local group - on one from London to Brighton my back tyre (not tube) exploded. Very luckily we weren't far from my home (ride had started from north of it) so I borrowed another rider's bike, pedalled home for a spare tyre, fitted and off again.
Lesson learned from this? I tend to wear my tyres to the limit and often check the thread, and always before a day ride. But it's important to check the side walls, which I now understand very often give up the ghost before the running tread.

Another time, riding fully loaded on a 2 to 3 hour ride to catch a fixed time long distance train the front mech cable broke, meaning I had to do the rest of the ride in a 22T granny gear. I could have split the chain and gone fixed (terrain was fairly flat by the time it had happened) but I had sensibly left plenty of time (pats self on the back for my usual caution with transport connections) and so just went in for some intensive spinning for the rest of the trip.

Lesson learned from that? On a tour of any length, take a spare gear cable.

Before my next tour I will definitely look back through this thread for words of wisdom, amongst other things.

I think it’s worth commenting the situation is potentially the same with a car or even walking. If I suffered a car breakdown in an isolated area I could no more fix that than a bike. My bike though does receive far more regular visual inspections than my car!

On the positive side, far more chance of fixing/bodging a bike than one of those car things. Hard to think of any way in which a modern car can be "bodged". You seem quite well prepared and the quick links thing is a very good tip for anyone. Recommended. I did a while ago mysteriously have a quick link undo itself (a freak clash with a trailing pannier strap I think) but somewhat to my surprise managed to find the missing bit in the dust. My seatpack puncture kit always has quick links for 8 and 9 speed in it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I just call @User43827

montypython-bicycle-repair-man.jpg

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Or, if you had a suitable screwdriver, adjust the derailleur limit so it stays on a bigger cog?
Good point Alan 0.

Would have been easier, less messy.

I would have a suitable screwdriver with me - on multitool, or an extra Leatherman type thing I carry on tour.

What an excellent thread it is :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you're going out long enough/far away enough from base to get thirsty carry enough water with you. I make a point of gulping down a pint of tap water just before I leave the house if it's warm out and I'm going to ride more than a couple of miles. or walk any distance. Dehydration is far worse than getting hungry.
A pint of water? Are you trying to fool some "newbs" or do you find peeing yourself before the cafe stop is great for keeping your legs cool?

The name of the game is self-sufficiency - carry enough stuff to keep both you and the bike in operational condition. Don't be blasé and assume you can always summon help, therefore you don't need to be able to fix anything yourself. People with that mindset could find themselves in trouble if they lost or damaged their phone during a ride and also didn't bother to carry any self-help tools & spares.
There's always going to be something I can't fix (short of riding steel, learning to weld and carrying big kit), so I'd rather have a plan to summon help (a mobile phone and shoes or covers you can walk in to somewhere with signal) as well as tools to fix the small stuff IMO.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I would have a suitable screwdriver with me - on multitool, or an extra Leatherman type thing I carry on tour.
What an excellent thread it is
Not just any old screwdriver: a "suitable screwdriver" - what prescience!
From Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 last year:
Broke my front derailleur cable at the start of the descent to Bronllys (65km). Limit screwed it to the middle (42t) ring at the control and bought a replacement at Rhayader (Clive Powell Bikes is just west of crossroads)(109km), and fitted it in a few minutes in the sunshine. Good coffee (and cable snips) too.
Still had ETA recovery insurance in case.
Some things you can't fix eg hanger failure (alloy/carbon bikes, not mine) [so carry a spare], broken crank. A friend snapped his seatpost - couldn't go very far, which was a shame after 1000+k of LEL. Thirsk station was close though.

Not just any old screwdriver: a "suitable screwdriver" - what prescience!
Not sure I understand your point, unless it is a genuine congratulation for something so basic. Not hard to carry tools to turn all the basic bolts etc on my bike. I do of course always carry a mobile in case of something bad happening to me that might require an ambulance. And energy food on long trips to avoid the bonk. Also a mini screwdriver for adjusting brakes. With V brakes and inserts not hard to carry spare pads.

Top Bottom