What is your rescue remedy for cycle breakdowns miles from home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
Has anybody ever broken/repaired an axle while out on the road ?
Broken, yes - repaired, no :sad:

Just to expand: My broken rear axle was sheared at an oblique angle, so there was no possibility of keeping the two halves together by using pressure. And it was bolt-on, so there was no skewer that might have helped.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yep. Managed to get something sorted by moving the cones around. Very loose but wheel went round OK and I completed the ride. The quick release skewer holds things in place. Indeed I've ridden a broken axle I was not aware of until routine maintenance found it. The first story was because the break was just at a cone and things were not good.

Crankarm

Guru
My bikes have never let me down, except once when a crappy Ritchey non drive crank snapped and I had to ride home about 8 miles pedalling with just my right leg, but I made it no problem.

Lonestar

Veteran

Broken yes...walked back with it all of 5 and a half miles.Where as a pedestrian asked me on the way back why I wasn't riding it...I explained the reason why.A couple of years back..

My accident at Stratford (Dec 2016) whereas the left pedal snapped off from the crank...After returning from work to pick up the abandoned bike at Stratford I pedaled just over two miles using the right crank only...down backstreets.Still that's not so hard on a fixie.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Über Member

I've broken two. The first time it took a spoke with it IIRC and I thought the out-of-true-ness was down to the spoke. I just kept riding after removing the mudguard and found out about the axle later. The second time I was also able to keep riding.

froze

Über Member
I've always been the type of person that I will fend for myself if possible, this means that even though I'm married and I have a cell phone, my wife is not my mommy, thus I won't call her unless I'm in the hospital or if I'm going to be really late due to some problem so she doesn't worry. So towards that end I carry with me flat repair stuff like a spare tube, patches, pump and levers, I also carry a multi tool, small folding pliers, zip ties, black Gorilla tape, presta to schrader converter in case my pump breaks I can simply get air at a gas station. I once had to fill a tire with weeds, leaves, grass, left the old tube in, etc because my pump broke, doing that got me home; but due to that pump breaking is when I started to carry the presta to schrader converter. When I tour I carry a bit more stuff even a spare pump and a couple of FiberFix spokes.

But even with those precautions, as well as some I didn't mention, I rarely have a breakdown, maintaining and cleaning your bike to keep it looking and acting like it's new goes a long ways towards having a very reliable bike.

I had a non repairable breakdown last week,4.3 miles from home.I did have a rescue drive available however it would have been complicated as would have had to move child seats and then my better half would have had to driven the bigger car down country lanes that she has never driven before,the car and the lanes,plus they were out shopping at the time,It was alot easier just to walk.If I was 10 miles away it would have been a different story.
What was the problem? Only a little way through the thread but must admit I am finding it hard to think of anything that is likely to totally strand me. Car or public transport seem more of a problem. Am talking about damage to bike rather than me. Folks in the south east of course have more chance of getting to public transport. Good thread start OP.

O, confession. Did once call up gf to pick me up when the speed pro broke a spoke. But only because that bike is so damn delicate I was afraid of doing it real damage if I rode on. Bits hard to get hold of, particularly where I was. Any other bike, wouldn't have been a problem.

Except with a physical injury when you might have to rely on the generosity of strangers there's always a walking option
I had a tyre spilt through the sidewall 10 miles north of Moffat with a fully loaded touring bike. I tried bodging it with a boot and some tape and all the other ideas I could think of (including chopping up my wallet to make a thicker boot than the one I carried) but it was too far gone. Looked at it pragmatically turned around and pushed it the 10 miles back to Moffat by which time it had stopped raining, I got a new tyre, cup of tea and bit of cake and off again.
It was a bit of a rubbish day at the time and 10 miles in cycling shoes wasn't ideal, but looking back it all added to the challenge and adventure.
Hero! Did no drivers stop to ask after you on that longe trudge?
By the by, suppose that this is a good reason to tour without clips, something I have recently moved to doing.

Last edited:
Bottom bracket went at Shadwell recently (2 Sundays ago)..I know I know I should have prevented that from happening (I thought ther crunching was the chain) so I ended walking it back seven miles.
What on earth happened to the bottom bracket? I wasn't aware that they could suddenly fail catastrophically. Getting back within london never a serious problem of course.

Lonestar

Veteran
What on earth happened to the bottom bracket? I wasn't aware that they could suddenly fail catastrophically. Getting back within london never a serious problem of course.

Never had a problem like that before...always managed to diagnose the problem properly...This time I thought it was a chain related problem so I misdiagnosed.I had a clicking that seemed to go on forever...then the crunching which I thought was related to the new chain....I have no complaints about what happened and hopefully I will be more wary next time...Bike is overgoing an overhaul now.Funnily enough the handlebar bearings are fine although I can't remove the forks from the handlebars at the moment as it seems seized solid.Got it round the local LBS then will rebuild it myself.

Top Bottom