What is your rescue remedy for cycle breakdowns miles from home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
OK, so the 25 miles limit is not in the Cycle Rescue policy document but is in the Cycle Insurance policy (which includes recovery).
Readers are invited to identify a remote road in UK which hasn't got one of the recovery destinations within 25 miles. Bit difficult because there are hotels on (all?) remote Scottish roads and by lochs, even if bike shops and train stations and hire car agencies are distant. Achnasheen (with daily train gone).

Customer 3:46 pm On CycleChat someone's said; "I've just had a nice online chat with ETA and they say there is a 25-mile limit on *free* recovery but if you needed to go beyond that they'd charge £1 per excess mile."
ETA: It does not say in our cycle rescue wording, however we will look to make this clearer. The limit is included in our cycle insurance policy wording.
Customer So it's not a limit for my cycle rescue cover, then. Is that correct.
ETA: If you have a wish that you would like to go to the nearest suitable bicycle repair shop, even when a railway station is closer then we will get you to the repair shop. In the event that you need to be recovered on your bicycle, we will take you to the most appropriate one of those options that will work best for you. If it is 100 miles to where you wish we take you, we will find solutions that are closer, such as a railway station that can take you to your destination.

Johnno260

Veteran
Walked carried bike home before 7 miles didn’t have cash for a taxi, wife was home but kids asleep and my closest friends where on holiday.

Had to take shoes off and walk in socks as well, fun times.

Edit: worst part in socks were the slugs, or ex slugs now.

Least I still got some exersize done.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Signed up for ETA after seeing it on here.

I know there are bound to be some areas where their cover is patchy , but for £18 it's worth a punt.
Pretty much what I was thinking despite cycling on some routes most would consider remote.

Slick

Guru
I thought that you were a long term user? If you pardon the pun.

Some years ago my bottom bracket unit decided to disintegrate when I was cycling through the Nubian desert from Wadi Haif to Khartoum when I was cycling down through Africa. I just had to rebuild it there and then, luckily it was not a sealed unit, and i had spare ball bearings and grease, so was soon on my way, at the next village I pulled it apart again and cleaned up the cups as they were pitted, rebuilt it, and it lasted for the next 3 months for the rest of my trip.

Top Bottom