What is your rescue remedy for cycle breakdowns miles from home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Your posts are somewhat confusing me lonestar. Handlebar (you mean headset?) bearings neither here or there. I would have thought you could have ridden home with a noisy bottom bracket.

I've just had a nice online chat with ETA and they say there is a 25-mile limit on *free* recovery but if you needed to go beyond that they'd charge £1 per excess mile.

They also confirmed that the choice of destinations is down to the policy holder.
It's sounding more and more useless the more I hear about it, unless as above you have a very epecial case like a recumbent. i await them revising the terms in 2019 so that on getting a call they will send a drone to parachute you the (excellent) park tools repair book.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mm vickster. If this happens more than once a year, or even once a year with any regularity, I would take a look at a few things to be honest.
Why? I could well get a puncture more than once a year that I can’t (be bothered to) fix :smile: it’s £18 which for peace of mind (bail out) is nothing (for me). If on one occasion it means I’m not half an hour late to work it’s more than paid for itself (in potentially lost earnings)

Mm getting crazy unless you have a thing for "meet cute" taxi drivers. You could fix the puncture and be on your way long before taxi man or woman turned up.

Edit, you have revised your post above since I replied to it.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Mm getting crazy unless you have a thing for "meet cute" taxi drivers. You could fix the puncture and be on your way long before taxi man or woman turned up.
Maybe, maybe not

I’m not so sure why you have such an issue. If it’s not for you, then you don’t have to have it. No skin off my nose if you dont, none off yours if I do

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
A thought - if you couldn't get your bike going again, you were 30 miles from home and there was no-one to pick you up. How would the police react if you called them and asked for help?

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
They’d hopefully and rightly tell you to bog off?
What if you're in the middle of nowhere, it's 30 degrees, there's no shade and you've run out of water?

A thought - if you couldn't get your bike going again, you were 30 miles from home and there was no-one to pick you up. How would the police react if you called them and asked for help?
Bit short staffed these days. I wouldn't try it for all sorts of reasons. Definitely wouldn't use 999. Anything else you could well get a call centre. Could always try putting out a hopeful hand if a police vehicle went past.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What if you're in the middle of nowhere, it's 30 degrees, there's no shade and you've run out of water?

When it's 30 degrees, forget about doing long distance bike rides - it's too flipping hot! Find a nice pub with a shady garden and drink beer instead. Much more enjoyable than sweating buckets & getting sunburnt.....
If you're going out long enough/far away enough from base to get thirsty carry enough water with you. I make a point of gulping down a pint of tap water just before I leave the house if it's warm out and I'm going to ride more than a couple of miles. or walk any distance. Dehydration is far worse than getting hungry.
The name of the game is self-sufficiency - carry enough stuff to keep both you and the bike in operational condition. Don't be blasé and assume you can always summon help, therefore you don't need to be able to fix anything yourself. People with that mindset could find themselves in trouble if they lost or damaged their phone during a ride and also didn't bother to carry any self-help tools & spares.

Top Bottom