Votes: 19 9.7%
  • 71-80

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 81-90

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Above 90

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
According to my phone's health app (it makes me put my finger over the camera sensor?) it seems to be 60s. I am trying to lower my stress, so maybe that will go down as well.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Mines around 65-70 ...which is great for my intresting life choices.
Sadly it seems to fizzle out at 160+ and leaves me feeling i need to stop.

I wish i had the push it gene , id like to have that as im very competitive.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That's the rub, very few ever know.

It’s a huge problem. I had a heart attack aged 61 in October 2015. Long story, I thought I’d simply bonked on a ride, but decided, as things didn’t feel “quite right,” that as a man in his 60s perhaps I should pop down to A&E. Being a cyclist possibly saved me from at the least a very serious heart attack.

The rehab nurses made it clear that while most men know to look out for testicular lumps or peeing difficulty most are unaware of the warning signs from the heart. Apparently it’s even worse in women.

Slick

Guru
It’s a huge problem. I had a heart attack aged 61 in October 2015. Long story, I thought I’d simply bonked on a ride, but decided, as things didn’t feel “quite right,” that as a man in his 60s perhaps I should pop down to A&E. Being a cyclist possibly saved me from at the least a very serious heart attack.

The rehab nurses made it clear that while most men know to look out for testicular lumps or peeing difficulty most are unaware of the warning signs from the heart. Apparently it’s even worse in women.
I didn't know that it was worse for women but I do know it's a huge issue. We've all got long stories to tell and there's plenty waiting to shoot them down, so all I'll say is, I'm glad you were fortunate to get another chance, not everyone is.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Slick I’m no expert but apparently women are more likely to be unaware of a heart attack than men. The symptoms can manifest themselves other than in the chest.

My symptoms were a complete loss of energy, couldn’t ride faster than 8mph, and “discomfort,” that’s all, behind my ribs on my back. I rode 10 miles to a railway station passing an A&E on the way!!!!!!

Slick

Guru
@Slick I’m no expert but apparently women are more likely to be unaware of a heart attack than men. The symptoms can manifest themselves other than in the chest.

My symptoms were a complete loss of energy, couldn’t ride faster than 8mph, and “discomfort,” that’s all, behind my ribs on my back. I rode 10 miles to a railway station passing an A&E on the way!!!!!!
Wow, sounds like you were very fortunate. I know cycling is meant to be great for heart health but not when your actually having an attack.:eek:

I was out on the bikes with my brother on a very hilly challenge ride and I knew there was something wrong as he is head and shoulders ahead of me on the bike, but eventually he admitted he was having chest pains. He was fitted with 5 stents a few days later but never actually had an attack.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member

My best friend went home after work one day and thought he was having an asthma attack, he just couldn't catch his breath and felt dizzy but none of the chest pains or pain in your arm or anything. Ambulance was called, he fell into a coma and was hospitalized, and diagnosed as having a massive heart attack. He passed three days later at age 45. Ironically four days prior to his attack he had been to his cardiologist who had told him all was looking good, he had stopped smoking and lost a bit of weight and was 'doing great'.

My father thought he had a cold that wouldn't let up and after a few days he went to the Emergency room thinking he had the flu, only to find that he had had a heart attack days back and needed an emergency stent and that a wall of his heart wasn't working. He lived but still didn't wake up and take care of himself, even after all that and knowing that our entire family had heart problems.

My feeling is that if you feel at all abnormal and are even the least bit concerned, better to be safe than sorry. And for women, here in the US heart disease is the number one cause of death; I feel because more ladies are aware of the symptoms of breast cancer and the like but don't know how symptoms of heart issues can show up in entirely different ways and how common of a danger it can be!

Slick

Guru
My best friend went home after work one day and thought he was having an asthma attack, he just couldn't catch his breath and felt dizzy but none of the chest pains or pain in your arm or anything. Ambulance was called, he fell into a coma and was hospitalized, and diagnosed as having a massive heart attack. He passed three days later at age 45. Ironically four days prior to his attack he had been to his cardiologist who had told him all was looking good, he had stopped smoking and lost a bit of weight and was 'doing great'.

I'm really sorry to hear that, it's a terrible disease that affects so many.

Top Bottom