Votes: 19 9.7%
  • 71-80

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 81-90

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Above 90

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I think I posted on here I was around the 50BPM mark. I was interested to find on Sunday I was nearer 90BPM sitting on the ‘Start Line’ of a 100km Audax I was about to ride.

I also find it interesting that for the 1st half of any 100-200km ride I have done in the last 4 months, my BPM is quite a bit higher than the 2nd half. And usually I am working harder and more fatigued in that last half.

Tin Pot

Guru
I think I posted on here I was around the 50BPM mark. I was interested to find on Sunday I was nearer 90BPM sitting on the ‘Start Line’ of a 100km Audax I was about to ride.

I also find it interesting that for the 1st half of any 100-200km ride I have done in the last 4 months, my BPM is quite a bit higher than the 2nd half. And usually I am working harder and more fatigued in that last half.

Quite normal if you ask me.

RHR is basically when you are doing literally nothing - sleeping or just woken up. That’s your 50.

Getting up having breakfast, pottering about theres 70-90.

Cycling long distance aerobic stuff, 120-150 is not unusual.

Then, as you get fatigued your heart rate starts to drop - no matter how hard the ride is. I’m usually 140-150 riding about 80% effort, after five or six hours my HR is around 130.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Getting a little worried, as mine is 80 minimum resting, of late

It was a 100 a moment ago and I have been sat here for an hour doing nothing.

Some days, i'm in the fat burning zone whilst sleeping :eek:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Thread resurrection here, nearly a year with my Apple Watch. Never paid too much attention to my resting HR but noticing more alerts for low HR alarms. Currently set at 40 and its been as low as 35. That is low for my age I would of though ( late 40s ) . Granted all of these have been during sleep ! So probably not much to worry about :tongue: . Think I will set the alert level to 30 and forget about it :biggrin:

PK99

Legendary Member
I don't know how accurate a photo sensor is via a phone app but according to it my resting HR sitting at my desk is 71bpm :laugh:

depend on the phone.

My Samsung has a sensor built in that works in the same way as the finger sensors GP's use and is accurate against a Garmin strap.
My wife's non Samsung has a downloaded app that uses the camera light and seems random

PK99

Legendary Member
Getting a little worried, as mine is 80 minimum resting, of late

It was a 100 a moment ago and I have been sat here for an hour doing nothing.

Some days, i'm in the fat burning zone whilst sleeping :eek:

I know this post is quite old, but you should get that checked out. Permanent unexplained tachycardia like that can both indicate and cause serious heart problems.

When fit mine was 55bpm (age 60) even in the GP's having my BP taken.

I've had chest/lung problems over the last 18 months and a resting/sleeping HR of 100+/- for months on end. My consultant got very worried about precipitating heart damage and failure and put me on beta blockers to bring the rate down (now around 70) and loop dieuretcs to get rid of fluid overload (7kg pissed out since mid december)

colly

Re member eR
Around 50 to 60, generally if I am sat down, but if I am really resting, say reading, it can drop as low as 46. Mind you that depends on the book.

Last edited:
I am 69 (70 in March) and have experienced a terrible last year with my health, but now that I have finally discovered that most of my prescribed medications which were giving me amongst other things, the feeling of chronic Angina pains in my chest, difficulty in breathing etc. etc., but since making this amazing discovery only last week, I am honestly feeling almost as fit as a flea for the first time in 13 terrible months!!

Now by concentrating on my heart beat I can pull it down to the mid 30's, but my normal resting rate is somewhere around 49.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Have you lot looked at heart rate variability?

Apparently 80-100ms is good, reflecting a relaxed, well rested, healthy individual.

50-60ms is bad, person under stress, fight or flight response activated.

Mine is 25ms, going as low 8ms last week. :sad:
I monitor HRV when I am training over winter. It is more about measuring you own variance against its own history. Some people's heart beats are all over the show whilst others are more steady. A drop can indicate stress but you need to measure that against your own readings not others.

depend on the phone.

My Samsung has a sensor built in that works in the same way as the finger sensors GP's use and is accurate against a Garmin strap.
My wife's non Samsung has a downloaded app that uses the camera light and seems random
I have a Samsung but before I deleted the app I was using one similar to your wife. 71bpm though isn't too far off my usual seated hr but IIRC its below 40 bpm the times I've tested with a HR strap overnight.

lane

Veteran
I monitor HRV when I am training over winter. It is more about measuring you own variance against its own history. Some people's heart beats are all over the show whilst others are more steady. A drop can indicate stress but you need to measure that against your own readings not others.

Used in combination with resting HR this is quite useful. Usually if I am getting a cold or virus or have been training hard my resting HR goes up and my HRV drops. Last couple of days my RHR is 5 to 10 higher than normal and my HRV has dropped so I will probably take it a bit easy this weekend.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's about 45 if I do it on waking. Not a great indicator of overall fitness (you can have really high blood pressure with a low pulse), and resting heart rate drops within weeks when you start any programme of aerobic exercise.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thread resurrection here, nearly a year with my Apple Watch. Never paid too much attention to my resting HR but noticing more alerts for low HR alarms. Currently set at 40 and its been as low as 35. That is low for my age I would of though ( late 40s ) . Granted all of these have been during sleep ! So probably not much to worry about :tongue: . Think I will set the alert level to 30 and forget about it :biggrin:

No, fine at rest if a regular at exercise. I had seriously low HR when having a shoulder operation. What you don't want is a HR that jumps about. Wrist band watches aren't that reliable, so disable the low alarm. My MIL has AF, and her HR readouts are frightening... fast/slow/just all over. 40/90/60/ nothing regular.

JAD

Veteran
First thing in the morning, laid in bed and using the digital clock radio ticking over 1 minute I'll get a reading of 39/40. If it's up 10% it means I haven't fully recovered from yesterdays exercise and will influence what I do that day. Max at about 155, aged 68.

Top Bottom