What jobs didn't you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I don't mean list every job you haven't done - that would be silly - but, as a companion to the jobs thread, I was curious what jobs people really wanted to do or were headed towards, but somehow it didn't work out, life got in the way etc.

Like many kids I wanted to be an astronaut, but I was quite serious about being an architect. Later I was all set to go take up an RAF scholarship and go to Cranfield and then become a pilot (which I guess could have actually led to me becoming an astronaut) but decided I was a pacifist...

Mrs M

Guru
I wanted to be a Policewoman but was too short (at the time).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As a kid I wanted to join the Royal Navy. I got all the forms, filled them all in, but girls and rock 'n' roll ruined that idea.
I regret not going through with it to this day.

Strangely enough. Son # 1 also wanted to join the Navy. he was far more serious about it then I was. Unfortunately he failed the medical for a couple of reasons. We were both very gutted that he didn't get through.

pplpilot

Guru
Pilot. Got to the point where I just get bored of the knock backs, early 90's seemed like flying jobs were so few and far between, so many friends with way more hours and ratings than me were finding it hard, I Still fly but for fun, looking back If im honest my heart wasn't 100% in pursuing it and self funding my training was getting stupid expensive.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Pilot. Got to the point where I just get bored of the knock backs, early 90's seemed like flying jobs were so few and far between, so many friends with way more hours and ratings than me were finding it hard, I Still fly but for fun, looking back If im honest my heart wasn't 100% in pursuing it and self funding my training was getting stupid expensive.

I was in the RAF cadets, got my cadet wings and logged my hours in rattly old Chipmunks. All for nothing of course. That was the only really good thing about cadets - flying for free.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For some weird reason I wanted to work in custom and excise or be an accountant. Two totally different careers, none of which I even attempted and I am glad I did not.

pplpilot

Guru
I was in the RAF cadets, got my cadet wings and logged my hours in rattly old Chipmunks. All for nothing of course. That was the only really good thing about cadets - flying for free.

I shudder to think how much I've spent over the last 20 years, probably 150K+ with ratings, hour building, exams flying holidays overseas etc. Small change compared to some I know.

Firestorm

Veteran
As a dull young teenager I wanted to be a bank manager.
From 14 it was a Pharmacist but poor career advice / O level options choices left me paying catch up at Uni, to the extent I failed the first year miserably, both in exam results and personally.
After 18 months of not getting science jobs I drifted up to the City and ended up in Insurance.
Its been good career for 38 years for my family and I but have hardly found it fulfilling

Stephenite

Membå
Helicopter pilot. I was told at the army recruitment office I didn't have enough O-levels. 17 years-old and had to leave home so decided to join up anyway and work my way up through the Army Air Corps. Took the tests and was told I had too high an intelligence score for the AAC. Told to become an Electronic Warfare Operator and learn russian instead. So I tried that. But, after a couple of months of being told what to do and shouted at all the time, I left and started digging ponds for a living.

I, sometimes, look up to the skies even now.

Top Bottom