What Low Level Risks Should be Considered Whilst Cycling - Advice for Others Please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
whilst sitting on a sun lit grassy knoll to drink in the stunning view the ants let me know they didn't like me sat on their house
And put you off your aim.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Wildlife is great, as long as it doesn't come near you or your bike while riding. I've been offed by a badger. At least a grey squirrel can be run over, both without coming off and with a clean conscience. Pheasants are stupid birds as said upthread and have the capacity to get you off. Having an owl flying in front of you while riding is both exiting and slightly worrying as is seeing an adult buzzard on a fence post about four metres from you and about to launch itself.

To take the concept of 'low level' rather literally
The lowest level risk round here is hawthorn hedge thorns - I don;t know why the Army spend so much money on anti-tank missiles - hawthorn thorns seem to be able to penetrate anything - just put a layer of them on the front of a shell and it will go right through the enemy tank!!!

I use 'puncture resistant' tyres but these damn things still manage to get through the kevlar layer - so I put that goo stuff in as well.
Last summer I still managed to get a slow puncture caused bya thorn - when I checked the whole tyre I took 7 other thorns out of the rubber - all had penetrated into the tube but the goo had fixed it!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Level crossings, I've never had an issue with. Honest.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Midges
Mitigation: Limit stops to one minute.
1610640229977.png

Side of Loch Linnhe in September. Little b****ds.
Following day riding out of Lairg towards the Crask Inn, wearing my rain jacket even though it was dry and temperate, it seemed as if I was riding into a hail storm (small stones).

wajc

Veteran
One for the Zwifters - this happened to a colleague of mine last year.

When using the bike on a turbo (non direct drive) make sure that there is nothing shaped like a big stick in the vicinity (in this case a pole to aid opening of a window), just in case it happens to fall directly in to the rear wheel, get trapped in the spokes and then result in a cracked/damaged seat stay.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I was carrying one, but I judged putting it on and taking it off was a disproportionate faff. Quickly changed maps, secured the bag and hopped it, faster that they could chase, to the Corran ferry.

Top Bottom