What makes you fat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For me its those concave mirrors you get next to the bearded lady. Bloody inconsiderate!

si_c

Guru
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism is American - nothing to do with us. We binge our own way.
Health researchers in the UK usually define binge drinking as the consumption of 6 or more units in one session, and whilst people tend to have different tolerances for alcohol this is a good guideline figure. Drinking more than 14 units in a week is considered the level at which alcohol related harms become more problematic.

vickster

Legendary Member
Indeed, 14 pints is the region of 30 units, depending on strength, pint of weak bitter might be 2 units, but a strong lager or craft is more like 3.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank you all for your concern

But in my case binge drinking ( if that's what you want to call it ) doesn't make me fat over eating does

It may not do, but it can be damaging to your internal organs. Might be worth seeing your GP for liver function tests if you've been doing this for a long time (obesity can also damage the liver so if you were very overweight for a long time, it may have had an effect).

Being fat is one way to damage your health, but there are plenty of others, high alcohol consumption included

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I drink about the same as you Freelander and I would say its considerably less than most people (honest ones anyway) while we probably do a LOT more exercise than most.
Health guidelines are exactly that..... a guideline. I had my health MOT a few weeks back (I am 49) and the nurse was very happy with me other than my fruit intake ! :laugh:
I am not being argumentative here, just expressing my opinion :smile:

Alan O

Über Member
Thank you all for your concern

But in my case binge drinking ( if that's what you want to call it ) doesn't make me fat over eating does
It absolutely does add to your calorie intake, and it's simply nonsense to suggest that does not contribute to making you fat. Weight gain is about the total of your calorific intake, and it's plain denial if you pretend (to yourself, as nobody else is listening) that excessive alcohol intake does not contribute.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you can either face the truth or continue to delude yourself.

si_c

Guru
I drink about the same as you Freelander and I would say its considerably less than most people (honest ones anyway) while we probably do a LOT more exercise than most.
Health guidelines are exactly that..... a guideline. I had my health MOT a few weeks back (I am 49) and the nurse was very happy with me other than my fruit intake ! :laugh:
I am not being argumentative here, just expressing my opinion :smile:
In the case of alcohol the guidelines are far higher than the clinical evidence would suggest is actually a good intake level, and are more about trying to identify a realistic target for consumption. In terms of increased risk of health problems related to alcohol, there is no intake level which is considered safe or good.

I'm glad that your recent health check came back positive, however one thing about alcohol consumption and related illness is that the damage is cumulative over time, for example damage to your liver occurs over time with the organ continuing to function normally until all of a sudden it doesn't. The damage can be picked up using an ultrasound, but this is rarely done.

Edited to add: I don't want to sound like a killjoy, like most people I enjoy a drink, in my case I'm particularly partial to a good triple hopped summer ale. However it is worth being aware of the risks of drinking, even if you are comfortable with it.

Alan O

Über Member
I'm glad that your recent health check came back positive, however one thing about alcohol consumption and related illness is that the damage is cumulative over time, for example damage to your liver occurs over time with the organ continuing to function normally until all of a sudden it doesn't. The damage can be picked up using an ultrasound, but this is rarely done.
Yes, a mistake a lot of people make is assuming that a standard blood test that comes back within normal limits means they're fine. The standard blood test that GPs do measures liver enzyme levels (which are related to alcohol intake), but that is extremely short term and indicates how much alcohol you have been consuming within the previous few weeks. It does not show long-term liver damage.

I saw one of those fly-on-the-wall health documentaries the other day and it featured a bloke (who looked in his 50s) with a nose that looked like a lighthouse at night, and he reckoned he'd been drinking 6-7 pints a day since he was 18. His regular blood tests were fine, but the doc (not unreasonably) suggested his liver was close to calling it a day and suggested further tests.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Yes, a mistake a lot of people make is assuming that a standard blood test that comes back within normal limits means they're fine. The standard blood test that GPs do measures liver enzyme levels (which are related to alcohol intake), but that is extremely short term and indicates how much alcohol you have been consuming within the previous few weeks. It does not show long-term liver damage.

I saw one of those fly-on-the-wall health documentaries the other day and it featured a bloke (who looked in his 50s) with a nose that looked like a lighthouse at night, and he reckoned he'd been drinking 6-7 pints a day since he was 18. His regular blood tests were fine, but the doc (not unreasonably) suggested his liver was close to calling it a day and suggested further tests.
Thats 50 pints a week which I agree is stupidly high.
I am aware of the risks of alcohol and drugs and smoking and cycling and stepping out of the front door but life would be boring without some risk......

Alan O

Über Member
I am aware of the risks of alcohol and drugs and smoking and cycling and stepping out of the front door but life would be boring without some risk......
Yes, of course, it's up to every individual to assess the risks for themselves. But my point is just that those denying the risks are doing nothing more than deluding themselves.

If I was drinking every day to excess yes I would gain weight ,there is no doubt about it , with what I have at a weekend and the calories I am eating I am not gaining weight ,I am riding 20 miles plus nearly every day ,walk 2 10 mile walks and other activities I do so I burn the calories off ,john smiths has 153 calories in a pint so if I have 10 over the weekend that's 1530 which is less than my day allowance of calories,

Cheers

Top Bottom