What makes you most happy about your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
Was that the multi-coloured one? I think another picture is in order.
DSC00247.JPG

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
The feeling I got when I fixed up a commuter bike that had been headed for the scrapheap. The chain was stretched so badly that it had worn the freewheel teeth so that they just slipped all the time.

I serviced the hubs and the bottom bracket and put a new freewheel and a 2nd hand double chainset from an old 1980s bike + a new chain. I also replaced brakes and gear cables.

It was like riding a new bike. It probably cost me about £20 in parts + time (but that was fun).

betty swollocks

large member
How did you paint the rings on the frame ? Did you use masking tape and spray paint ? How long did it take ? Did you do it yourself or get somebody else to do it ?

It looks seriously cool. :smile:
It was done by professionals - fatcreations, who executed perfectly my brief to them.

Tom B

Guru
What makes me happy about my bike..

Riding it ...

The Clunk, clunk, clunk of a well adjusted derailleur as it shifts down as I build speed.
The Chik chik chik as a well adjusted derailleur moves up the cassette .

I have to admit to some sort of strange thrill from coming down a steep hill (plenty to chose from around here) choosing a point to stop by, usually a lampost or sign, sprinting hard towards 40mph then braking as late as possible and trying to stop spot on at the side of the target without easing of the brakes, It seems to keep my disk brakes in good order as it pumps some heat through them. Through it is probably good for nothing.

Oh and climbing hills, or rather getting to the top of hills.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It allows me to be a part of the environment I pass through at a pace fast enough to cover some ground but slow enough to pick up on small details. It’s mechanically simple enough that I can understand and work on it. I love it’s head up view (a recumbent) so I get to notice stuff you just don’t see on a road bike. I love that it can take wide tyres and handle smooth off road. I love that
I can cycle hundreds of miles in normal clothes and not a hint of discomfort. I love its aero dynamics so you never really care about head winds. I love that it has old school pump pegs for full size pumps. I love that I get a silly grin every time I ride it. I love that kids call it sick and young kids stare open mouthed at a different kind of bike. I just wish I’d discovered recumbents 20 years ago.

Top Bottom