What new technology have you tried and dismissed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Gosh some of you guys live very differently to me :smile:

My phone does everything, banking, games, shopping list, work notes, music player, camera etc.

View attachment 593312

By the sounds of it my car has more screens and connectivity built in than some of you guys have screens in yours homes.....

View attachment 593313

I'm surprised no one has moaned about eBike, but I just to tick off everything on the list we now have a 'connected' turbo bike in the house that has a touch screen, pushes data to social media, and has an App that works via the phone......So pretty much the worst tech nightmare for some on here all rolled into one :laugh:

View attachment 593314
View attachment 593315
I'm not a big adopter of tech for techs sake..

I don't have a bike computer for instance

But a smart phone is pretty much essential for running two businesses, and the associated social media almost expected of one nowadays.

Plus emails, messaging, and customer and staff contacts on the go, a compulsive photographing and writing habit, and occasional navigating in unknown places, does make one almost indispensable for me .

I was quite a late adopter of mobile phones even.
Until someone said "What if you turn the tractor over on yourself, and you can't call, for help"

Little did they know, what farmerista horrors, they were unleashing on the world ,with that prompting...

I love my Paramo (a Cuzco). An excellent combo of waterproof and breathable that works for me, mainly for walking/general purpose but it has seen cycle touring use where it handled everything Scotland could throw at it. Sadly no longer made and there's no like-for-like replacement. I think I will probably cry when it goes.

My current paramo iteration is relatively new-maybe three years old?

Its lighter than previous versions, but has withstood a lot of mountainous, and bike-packing roughhousing, in all weathers.

Its 'weather armour' really.
A reproof once a year or so, and it's good to go into battle with the elements once again

And its a lovely 'tomato soup' colour* too, for cheeriness, and high vis.

- Perhaps a shade only available to us lucky ladies..
Not 100% on that one.

Frustratingly there's no label on it to say which model it is, but it's one of their more lightweight versions - 'lightweight' of course being a relative term with all things Paramo.

gzoom

Über Member
I heard an ad for a car on the radio that said it had a built in screen area of nearly 24cm!

Isn't that barely 9inch screen size? Our Tesla has a 17inch touch screen plus a 10 inch drivers display.

The latest EQS is on another level....55inch worth of screen real estate in total, looks fantastic to me, shame is £100k+ asking price.

eqsinterior01.jpg

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Wow! I take no notice of cars as they have too many wheels for me. 17 inches! Bl**dy encouraging drivers to relax even more. How long before we get an electric seat that takes you from the TV in the living room and travels to fit in the car so you don't even have get up.

Last edited:

Punkawallah

Über Member
Generally don't need to adopt then discard. I just ask the question 'is it 10x (or however much more expensive it is) better than the old one?'. Then usually leave it on the shelf. That includes bikes. Which is why I'm still rolling round on an '82 Galaxy or an '86 Renown.

Top Bottom