What new technology have you tried and dismissed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
So why does the height of the receiver signify if DAB uses uppy downy polarisation ??

Or is something else interfering with reception..??

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Essential? They weren't essential 30 years ago when no one had them.

I know what I'd rather use on a technical descent. And I've got an old MTB and a new one. The new one is much faster.

What is this 'turbo' of which you speak ??
:rolleyes:
It's a new fangled machine. Generation Z can't live without them. You can check your wattage, your power, your ftp or is it ftp or something else. You can measure your lactate build up or lack of it.
You can take part in races - if you buy a big TV screen to talk to the turbo. You won't be racing against anyone you know. You won't be racing against anyone real. Just cartoon characters. But don't worry, you won't be racing anywhere real just over some computer generated terrain in awful colours.
When you've done that you can spend endless hours on chat forums debating how you can go 3 seconds faster over a 25 mile (sorry that should be kilometer because all turbos talk French and kilometers are not as far as miles) non existent course in non existent conditions.
Wonderful things and they only cost £800 or so for an entry level machine. Plus TV. Plus software subscription. Plus a big bank of cooling fans. Plus all the energy and performance nutrition that you simply must have.

You could always settle for a set of rollers or simple machine that let's you turn your legs over but there are no bragging rights in that.

If you really think that you are likely to become a world beater then they are invaluable. If you are just a low grade cyclist who will always be a legend in their own lunchtime then I wouldn't bother.

gzoom

Über Member
Gosh some of you guys live very differently to me :smile:

My phone does everything, banking, games, shopping list, work notes, music player, camera etc.

50886943971_82cc231ca0_c_d.jpg

By the sounds of it my car has more screens and connectivity built in than some of you guys have screens in yours homes.....

50968906983_b49fbd852d_c_d.jpg

I'm surprised no one has moaned about eBike, but I just to tick off everything on the list we now have a 'connected' turbo bike in the house that has a touch screen, pushes data to social media, and has an App that works via the phone......So pretty much the worst tech nightmare for some on here all rolled into one :laugh:

51211636149_3aea83fd4e_c_d.jpg

51194517707_6298df58cf_c_d.jpg

mustang1

Legendary Member
You can can can replicate that by listening on multiple devices in one house (BBC web-site via laptop, etc ... ) . A freeview TV set to radio adds to the fun experiment!

(You can try this during the Euro football - when a goal is scored, listen to the ripple of response go round your neighbourhood. There can be quite a delay!)
When you are equidistant from two televisions, you can set the volume up so that you can listen to both TVs in true stereo. Just having a TV with stereo sound but the speakers next to each other is silly. BUT, the silly thing about my idea is when I'm equidistant to the two televisions, then I'm usually in the hallway so I cannot watch either TV. Mmmh...

mustang1

Legendary Member
Back in the 2000s (or whenever), moving away from CD audio to MP3 and ther music file formats... wow the sound quality really sucked. I never got a decent quality hifi after that, every solution I came across was too flaky and did not appear to be long lasting, as there was a new file format just around the corner. Did not enjoy those days.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Back in the 2000s (or whenever), moving away from CD audio to MP3 and ther music file formats... wow the sound quality really sucked. I never got a decent quality hifi after that, every solution I came across was too flaky and did not appear to be long lasting, as there was a new file format just around the corner. Did not enjoy those days.
Yep MP3 sucks, i've never heard an Amplifier that sounds better than my QUAD 303's without costing more than my house.

contadino

Veteran

MP3s, yes. Dreadful. But FLACs can be a step up from CDs nowadays. My hifi's sounding better than ever nowadays and for stuff that I haven't bought, there's tidal streaming in CD quality lossless.

Listened to a How We Made youtube on David Bowie Heroes. The master tape was so fragile that they digitised it and the producer/mixer said it was practically indestinguishable from the original. You can make high quality digital sound, its just that they dont.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It's a new fangled machine. Generation Z can't live without them. You can check your wattage, your power, your ftp or is it ftp or something else. You can measure your lactate build up or lack of it.
You can take part in races - if you buy a big TV screen to talk to the turbo. You won't be racing against anyone you know. You won't be racing against anyone real. Just cartoon characters. But don't worry, you won't be racing anywhere real just over some computer generated terrain in awful colours.
When you've done that you can spend endless hours on chat forums debating how you can go 3 seconds faster over a 25 mile (sorry that should be kilometer because all turbos talk French and kilometers are not as far as miles) non existent course in non existent conditions.
Wonderful things and they only cost £800 or so for an entry level machine. Plus TV. Plus software subscription. Plus a big bank of cooling fans. Plus all the energy and performance nutrition that you simply must have.

You could always settle for a set of rollers or simple machine that let's you turn your legs over but there are no bragging rights in that.

If you really think that you are likely to become a world beater then they are invaluable. If you are just a low grade cyclist who will always be a legend in their own lunchtime then I wouldn't bother.

That all sounds absolutely brilliant...

And yes I am Uber competitive, in fact, it's quite likely that I'm the bestest cyclist in the whole world, if only I had a gizmo, to prove it..

To think of all the time I've wasted, cycling about the place for utility , and pleasure, through that godawful countryside, encountering nature, and even the occasional friendly native..

Not to mention being out in sunshine, under scudding clouds..

Pffft..

I feel such a fool :blush:

Top Bottom