What new technology have you tried and dismissed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
OOOPS. Don't mention natives. The cancel culture vultures will be on to you.
They are the indigenous local population that has been shamelessly exploited by Colonial capitalists. And that includes QE2.

I was mainly thinking of Devonians tbh.

But you're right they too have been shamelessly exploited.

For their cream teas, their pasties, and not least for their 'umble abodes bought up as holiday homes by urbanites with pots of cash..

Never been back and block it in all the browsers I use.
anything special you need to do to do this?
I too loathe ffark - was less than surprised when the revelations came - and had never never understood anyone who logged into other stuff with their FB ID.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's the cutting out/garbled bit that gets to me, and before anyone says "Get a better one" Maz bought a frickng 'Roberts' so it ain't a cheapo
My Roberts DAB in the kitchen never garbles. My cheapo 'magicbox' DAB from Argos occasionally did. The DAB in the bedroom is seldom used but used to garble on occasion. The posh Pure DAB that replaced the magicbox in the sitting room is garble city... but shifting the aerial to a much higher location a week or so ago seems to have sorted that, for now... I won't hold my breath though.

I think it's the height of the radio/aerial that's key with garbling rather than the cost/quality of the unit.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My Roberts DAB in the kitchen never garbles. My cheapo 'magicbox' DAB from Argos occasionally did. The DAB in the bedroom is seldom used but used to garble on occasion. The posh Pure DAB that replaced the magicbox in the sitting room is garble city... but shifting the aerial to a much higher location a week or so ago seems to have sorted that, for now... I won't hold my breath though.

I think it's the height of the radio/aerial that's key with garbling rather than the cost/quality of the unit.

My experience with height / garbling is the same.

Quality of components mainly seems to reduce overall shelf life.

Or makes falling off shelves more certainly terminal :blush:

yello

If it's proper wet, I'll cycle in a lightweight Paramo, with the pit zips open.
I love my Paramo (a Cuzco). An excellent combo of waterproof and breathable that works for me, mainly for walking/general purpose but it has seen cycle touring use where it handled everything Scotland could throw at it. Sadly no longer made and there's no like-for-like replacement. I think I will probably cry when it goes.

yello

Probably the only thing I don't use my smartphone for is for making calls. Given the popularity of texting and messenger-like apps, that could potentially make me mega hip but I'm afraid not as I don't use those either. I'm of the email generation; my phone is pretty much a mobile email checker and security (2FA) device only. I haven't rejected messenger/social media apps as such but they are not platforms I use.

i agree with the mention up thread of cars having become far too gizmo obsessed. I wish manufacturers would concentrate on improving the basics over adding bells and whistles. The amount of stuff that can go wrong (and require significant repair spend) concerns me, particularly the electrics. Cars, like bikes, for me stopped maybe 15 years ago.

i had a go on a carbon fibre framed bike once. Cool. I could get they why of it - but it wasn't me. I've not tried electric shifters or disc brakes but I don't see me even get a chance to try them, let alone converting to them.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I heard an ad for a car on the radio that said it had a built in screen area of nearly 24cm! Surely that is a bad thing? You can't use a phone in any way but it is ok to divert attention to sat nav, radio, CD etc displayed on screen?

Top Bottom